Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Osprey Packs 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Osprey Packs
Osprey Packs are on sale today @ EMS (Deal of the day) I would like to pick one up for my daughter but, I need some help. She is a 15 y/o 5'2" tall teenager. This will be an upgrade from an ultralight day pack. I would like to get a pack that is adequate for day hikes for in seasons. So, I am looking for both size & model recommendations.

Thanks for the help.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Have you visited Osprey's web site? http://www.ospreypacks.com/ and they specifically have a sizing page here: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting Most of the multi-size pack pages have torso length guides (using the measurement above) to pack size guides.

I have enjoyed both my Stratos (32 and then 40) and my Talon 22. I can't recommend anything specific, but I am happy with the brand.

Tim

Last edited by bikehikeskifish on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the heads up! I've been considering getting a real daypack instead of my old Arcteryx backpack, which is really a school backpack with a light internal frame and a hydration hose hole. It works ok but not great for hiking. Might have to get myself an early xmas present!

EDIT: bikehikeskifish, the sizing link is broken fyi.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The "." in the end of my sentence was automatically included by the forum software. vBulletin does not do that - sorry. I fixed it.

Tim

Last edited by bikehikeskifish on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Tim, Thank you for the Osprey vote. I have been a long time lurker here and on VFTT & I respect your opinion. The sizing is most important as the women in my life are very small in stature and the Osprey Womens sizing seems to be a good match for my daughter.

Madmattd, I was hoping that others would pick up on this deal of the day. I am happy to have helped. BTW, I am from Medfield, MA and I work in Holliston.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The trick is the EMS that used to be 2 miles away from me in Natick is gone (found out that when I moved back to the area last fall...). Nearest one is Newton, which means I'd have to go near Rt. 128 at rush hour...EEEW! Debating whether I really want to check out EMS tonight that bad, especially when the ones I'd be most interested in don't seem to be in stores nearby. I like to see such things before buying...though perhaps I'll attempt to measure up my back and take a stab at it!

bikehikeetc: I didn't notice that period. Certainly causes trouble, those auto-corrects, don't they :wink: That link looks very helpful.

Eyeing the Stratos 34/36 in particular...thinking it might be a tad large for dayhiking, though I tend to bring everything AND the kitchen sink! Perhaps the 24 then...The Stratos seems to be the right model for what I need, or maybe the Talon (I have a good full pack though I haven't used it in probably 6 years!). A decent-sized day pack, perhaps can even be used as a hut-to-hut pack (where the only thing added to my daypack is a sleeping bag and extra snack food).

Enough rambling. I'm going to go to the outdoor store in town (mostly on way home), maybe they'll have a few Ospreys to look at to give me an idea.

Thanks both of you, this is something I've been thinking about ever since I started hiking again in September.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The Stratos 40 is the one shown packed in the Easiest Winter 4000 footer thread. It works just about perfectly for me for winter day hikes. The Talon-22, if I had to do over, would probably go with a Stratos-24, which was not available at the time. The 22 is a scootch too small, and without a frame sheet it doesn't take a good load very well - I purposely bought it to force me to go lighter in the summer. The 32 broke when I fell on it, but EMS replaced it and I upgraded to the 40 in the process. Now, Osprey has the lifetime guarantee.

Tim

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

EMS is killing me...I got home tonight after visiting the store in town that didn't have models I was interested in. After some more poking around and deciding I really like the Stratos 36, I then remembered there is an REI 5 miles away and easy to get to (DOH!)...and they had that pack. Good because I wanted to double-check size. I'm tall and skinny so sizes are often fun. Found that the large actually fit me very well (and after only 30s of messing with the adjustments as they were about to close) but EMS only has Medium and Small. O well, I'll be waiting for now I guess.

I will give EMS kudos on one thing. I was given a gift card to EMS several years back (c.a. 2005) that I used half of. I finally checked on the balance, and it is all still there! In this day where most cards start getting $1-$2 taken off each month after the first year, that was nice to see.

Thanks again for the info, I must say those Osprey packs are pretty nice and I'm going to end up with one by the time Spring rolls around I expect!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I love EMS, BUT I very rarely bother with EMS' non "A" stores. The (s)mall stores are good for little things, but not for a great selection. Heck even some of the "A" stores (Concord, Nashua) don't stock every Osprey in every size. You're in for a real disappointment if you're trying to outfit children. REI is not in NH, and I don't see any point in paying MA taxes.

Tim

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Campmor has a bunch of Ospreys on sale too. Not quite as good as the EMS sale yesterday, but an option for those out there looking and unable to get to a store.

I stopped in at the Manchester store the last time I went to NH...if the Concord one is considered larger I'll make that my normal stop instead! REI is nice but really only because they are right by me. I hear you on the MA taxes, though I'm originally from NYS where the tax rate is 8%...so 6% or whatever it is here is a nice change.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Concord and Nashua are at least twice as big as the Mall of NH store in Manchester. Note that at one time, they planned to move out of the mall and into an "A" store but haven't found a good place, or stopped looking when the economy 'shrunk'.

Tim

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Landed a Kestrel 38 today for less than the Stratos 36 was going for on the sale...nicer pack overall too for what I'm looking for. Now I just can't wait for spring! (I don't do snow, thanks. Walking/shoveling/driving in it is more than enough. Maybe some day that will change, but not now.)

I kind of feel bad that this thread got hijacked...Lost Dad, did you make out good?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Cirrus 36
I did order a Cirrus 36 for my daughter. It arrived yesterday and it is a success at first sight. Quickly out of the box, onto the bck, filled with random stuff (dog bed) and checking out all of the features. She loves the little pockets on the hip & shoulder straps. We will see how she feels after using it for a while. Best of all, as she is wishy-washy about the whole hiking thing, was her reaction. She was very excited to open and try on her pack. She had a friend visiting at the time and her friend was asking a lot of questions, so out came the pictures and a good long discussion about our exploits. It was nice to hear some positives about hiking from little ms. wishy washy.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]