Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dog Hiking Gear 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Dog Hiking Gear
Good morning all.
My husband and I have been slowly working on the 48 4k list as well as other hiking spots. We bring our 3 yr old shih tzu Zoe with us, and she really is a billy goat disguised as a foo-foo dog :). If she weighed 90 lbs, she would be dragging my husband and me up the trail.
My questions are for those of you who hike with your four legged friends.
1. What do you typically bring with you for gear for your dog(not including food and water)?
2. For those of you with smaller dogs, do you use a carrier at all for difficult spots?
3. What kind of rain gear if any do you use for your dog?
Thanks in adance to whomever can help!
Sara
P.S. SHe has done 4 peaks so far - Pierce, Eisenhower, Tom and Field!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

To answer your questions, Other than food and water, I carry just some bandages for Marlie but I am prepared to carry her if the need arises. I aslo have a pomeranian who has hiked Cardigan, Smarts, Tecumseh, Carrigain, and Lafayette with me. He's 13 now so he doesn't go much any more. When we would get to a difficult spot I would just scoop him up and place him where he needed to go. It's surprising how they can usually figure it out on their own. For rain gear, Marlie has a Ruffwear Cloud Chaser jacket that has a Gortex material on the back and a stretchy spandex material on the bottom. I use that also when there is lots of snow and it seems to keep her warmer although she gets very fidgety when we stop moving. Alway rubbing up against trees and branches.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:18 am

I've only done some of the easier peaks with the pup (Bichon). I keep a couple extra treats for the trail...then in the car I keep a big towel and extra water to wash him off. Tick spray is also a must have. He's small enough to carry in any bad spots but usually figures a way up without me.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I once saw a hiker on Mt. Adams that carried her Yorkie in her backpack. She said that the sharp Northern Presi rocks were hard on his paws.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:19 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I was looking at the cloud chaser as well...does it work well at keeping her warm and dry? does it stand up to hikes well?

Sara

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

dogbooties.com (GREAT footwear)

Lots of Ruffwear stuff....

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

cosette74 wrote:
I was looking at the cloud chaser as well...does it work well at keeping her warm and dry? does it stand up to hikes well?

Sara

The Cloud Chaser does keep her dry. There is not much insulation but I'm sure it helps with the warmth. It holds up fairly well but be warned, if your dog goes off train plowing through the brush, the stretchy material on the front legs and belly can tear. I brought this to the Ruff Wear warranty department's attenion and they sent me a replacement free of charge. :D

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

first off we have 2 Huskies who go everywhere we go--we have hiked 14 of the 4000' of NH and most times the rocks are too rough on their paws. we invested in the Ruff Wear booties and liners and love them. they also carry their own water, food, treats, bowls, and first aid in their Ruff Wear Approach packs. they are tough and seem to hold up despite the occasional dips into swamps and wet tree branches as they crash through the woods. we had a Kelty pack that literally fell apart. make sure you bring an extra serving of food/day and treats.. they're burning just as much if not more calories than you as they frolic back and forth.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Re: Dog Hiking Gear
cosette74 wrote:
Good morning all.
My husband and I have been slowly working on the 48 4k list as well as other hiking spots. We bring our 3 yr old shih tzu Zoe with us, and she really is a billy goat disguised as a foo-foo dog :).

Cool! Small dog hikers unite! I have a 10lb small poodle, Sophie, who looks like a tiny black sheep. It's so much fun running into other hikers on the trail when we are together-- they are always so impressed and amazed at her going the distance and with such clear pleasure.

The only time I had to carry her was when she got so covered in snow, with softball sized snowballs in her armpits :shock: that she couldn't walk (that was in the Blue Hills, not far up a mountain FYI) Otherwise she just needs a rare boost over particularly big obstacles. She usual finds a way around and is amazing on ledges. She's done the Tripyramids via the North and South Slide, Moriah, Field, Wiley, Garfield, Osceola and East Osceola from Greeley and a bunch of lower hikes. She's a fair weather hiker though and hates her raincoat. I haven't used booties but am considering it for rockier hikes.

Seriously, winter hiking can be a hazard for little dogs under about 20lbs (Atticus is about 24). Interestingly dogs over 20 allegedly can't get frostbite, or so I read on an Ididarod website. But smaller ones can and can have a hard time maintaining core temperature. Sophie got pretty cold on Garfield a few weeks ago when it was about 45 but with a strong wind. She was fine hiking, but when we stopped I had to put her under my coat to stop her from shivering.

When the warmer weather comes it might be fun to do a small dog hike! :D :D

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Zoe wears sweaters and coats around town in the winter when we bring her outside, and she tolerates those pretty well. Once we get in the house however, it needs to come off NOW! ;)
Unfortunately for Zoe(or maybe not so unfortunate) her hiking is done for the season. We will walk her plenty around town to keep her in shape for next April. :) SHe will be sad when she sees hubby and I packing up to gout ourselves. Hopefully a day with her grandparents will cheer her up. :)
Pam - I also love everyone's reaction to this little dog hiking up a mountain. A small dog hike sounds like fun! I also want to get her booties, but somehow I feel like that will be money thrown out the window. :? :twisted:
Sara

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Dog gear
We also have a smaller dog, a 17 lb labradoodle named Tucker. Tucker has hiked about 1/4 of the NH 48 and he has done very well even on 13 mile days over multiple 4K's. We have worked out a couple of different coats for Tucker which is very important as he does not have typical dog fur & he can get cold very easily. Because of his coat, he is the victim of awful snowballs in his fur. So, we use the coat & booties for snowball protection as well as warmth. He has a lycra uninsulated coat and a second waterproof & insulated coat. Both coats are from K9 Topcoat. I am unsure where the booties are from, but I can say with certainty that double velcro strap are the way to go-they do not fall off of Tucker even after being on the trail for 7 hours in the snow. Tucker hates the coat & booties, in fact he hides after we put them on, but once he is outside and able to run, all is forgotten.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]