[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Winter hiking footwear

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Winter hiking footwear 

11%  [ 1 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
 89%  [ 8 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Winter hiking footwear 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:41 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I agree with most folks here, that you need the full monty for many of the Winter peaks. I tend to air on the side of caution, and generally bring my crampons for most Winter assaults. I just leave them strapped to my pack for most of the Winter.
There are certain trails/peaks that come to mind: the Chimney on Osceola, the Franconia Ridge, Northern Presi's and any Winter (and Spring) trip on Mt. Washington. Wind blown snow can turn to ice in a hurry.

Microspikes/snowshoes would have been suicide on this hard packed ice/snow:
Monroe/Washington trip this past April

Sometimes, all it takes is just one slip, and you're on your butt sliding off to another dimension......

stay thirsty
Petch

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Petch

It looks like a fall in that second picture isnt going to send you sliding far. Ouch, my tailbone hurts looking at those rocks.

I went for the micro spikes in the quiz because I dont have good snowshoes yet. I have the old Yukon Charlie's that I have been waiting to break. They aren't breaking and this year I get new ones regardless so I can muscle my way up all 48 in one winter. My goal!

Happy Trails
Heather

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:55 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

that picture of Bob is too funny! :lol: I'm glad I asked about winter hiking as I (for some reason... lack of experience maybe :roll: ) assumed late fall/early spring would be easier than in the middle of winter. Opened up my eyes!

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Yup, middle of winter is definitely easier. The descents are the best - no looking for roots or rocks to trip you up, if the snowpack is deep enough. You could still slip and fall, but would you rather slip and fall on ice/exposed rocks, or on a pile of snow? :wink:

And by the way....I had put on my Microspikes that day because we needed to step on some ice before getting to the ledges. I didn't take them off afterwards because I'm lazy. :lol:

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If you are pursuing the winter 48 patch, the calendar prerequisites for the patch almost guarantee (but not 100%) good snow cover, and that you can get away with snowshoes.

Tim

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:20 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Here's what can happen if you're above treeline in the Presis without adequate traction. Note the reference to "micro crampons" in the article, which were most likely Microspikes.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroo ... 32910.html

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

-Bradford Angier-

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm