Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What do you think about these Merrell vs. Ahnu Vibram shoes? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

What do you think about these Merrell vs. Ahnu Vibram shoes?
Both have Vibram soles

Here is the Merrell which I got for $60 (suggested retail $120):

And here is the Ahnu (never heard of this brand before) which I got for $50 (suggested retail $120):

I'm thinking I don't need both pairs. Which one should I return? Should I keep both? Which one is better? I heard that not all Vibram soles are made of the same material so that's something to think about. I'm also concerned about the fact that I have never heard of Ahnu before although the shoe appears to be very well made...

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I've never heard of Ahnu before niether so I can't really help you. But sometimes companies starting out make a great product to get their name out there. Then some of them later make the product cheaper. The Ahnu may be the best shoe ever,,, ,, or the worst???? Sorry for the lack of help.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:36 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I am partial to the Vibram soles (Interesting that they are not all created equal! Where did you hear this?) but the latter pair looks a little more supportive. I would have to go with the Ahnu's and save the 10 bucks.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm sure Vibram makes many different types of rubber soles. Think of it like buying tires for your car. Just my .02. :)

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Check out http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/ while looking at the bottom of the shoe to see which sole it has and what it is really designed for. Not all soles are created for the same type of usage.

But the most important question is - "which fits better"!

Other questions - what is the weight of the shoe ? Have you searched for reviews of each shoe online? Each manufacturer makes a line of products at differant price points designed for differant usage: wet rock, trail, mud, hard rock (like the presi's), etc...

Personally I prefer a trail runner that is light weight, non gortex (just adds useless weight - your going to get wet), stiff sole/shank to take the impact of the sharp rocks on the presi's.

Check out what serioustrail runners are using whether you want to run or not and get their opinions.

http://www.rbhayes.net/

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:13 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Personally, I would choose a footwear that would be built in one piece, I mean, there would be no tongue looking piece at the top of the shoes. Though that adds some more comfort to get you through.

I think it would be better to have something that is built as one piece really, though that might just be because of the mindset that it would be less prone to be taken off accidentally.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]