Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Im having trouble picking out a tent! Help! 

What tent would you buy?
Poll ended at Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 am
Cabela's XPG  100%  [ 1 ]
Trekker™ Backpacking Dome Tent  0%  [ 0 ]
the Eureka Spitfire 2!  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Cabela's XPG, Trekker™ Backpacking Dome Tent or the Eureka Spitfire 2!

I am having trouble making up my mind on a tent, these are the 3 I have been looking most of the summer, what would you buy!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Well, what are your needs? Or does the problem making a decision derive from not knowing your needs?

Does it need to be free standing?
Is it for car camping? Backpacking?
Does it need to be easy and quick to set up?

Personally, at a cursory glance I'd go with the XPG if forced to choose from the three. The eureka doesn't look free standing, and the trekker has more than two poles. XPG most closely resembles my most frequently used car camping tent "The Leviathan" (not a brand name)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I will be using the tent for backpacking. Easy would be nice, I would be setting the tent up by myself, or my 8yr old daughter would be helping. (so by myself.)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

You really need to expand your choices. So so many quality tent makers on the market.

EMS, REI, Sierra Designs, Marmot, Kelty
OR
Nemo, Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs

Go visit Hilton's and spend some time looking. I got a great deal on a 2 person tent that was a few years out of date/style. Heavier than the latest and greatest but saved a bunch of $$$.

http://hiltonstentcity.com/

If I was buying a 3 season backpacking tent for two, it would be the SMD Lunar Duo.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 am

I agree with Tom. There are a few thousand tents out there so really check thoroughly that they meet your needs. For me it's the size of the vestibule, that it's free standing, and how sturdy or well built the fly is.

There are a couple of "standard" ones out there....REI Half Dome and EMS Velocity come to mind.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Well, if we are going to bat around the idea of escaping from the confines of the original three then might I suggest going to your local EMS and browsing their "junk rack". Usually you can find perfectly good tents that were returned or might have really easily fixable damage for very good prices.

Nashua, Manchester, Concord all have these junk racks and there are almost always tents in them.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I can tell you right now, DO NOT BUY THE TREKKER. I have owned their tents before (not that model, but a different one) and they are pretty poor tents. I think Coleman makes a new backpacking tent, and even though I would not buy one of those I would at least choose that over the trekker.

I have not used the Cabela's tent, but I can speak from experience that Cabela's brand name products tend to give you great bang for the buck value.

Eureka's I have heard or so-so. Not bad but not great. Consider the REI brand name tents. People rave about those. I own an REI 4 season tent that I rather like and is a reasonable 4 1/2 pounds. Obviously the three season tents, like the Half Dome, will be lighter.

Brian

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Check out REI outlet, they have 6 or so decent tents on sale -- except for the Alps ones. Also, according to Backpacker Magazine, LLBean's UL backpacking tent was good and quite cheap. fYI Backpacker's on-line gear reviews are really helpful when considering a purchase as are those on trailspace.com. A tent is an investment that should last a long time (we still use two of our tents that are 25 years old!)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I got a REI ACE 2 SW2 tent from a REI garage sale a year or so ago that is awesome! There are only two poles and it's super quick to set up and very sturdy. I got it for $40 because the coating was worn (sun will wake you up-- I see no problem there!) Normally it's $300 though: http://www.backpacker.com/fall-gear-gui ... gear/13428

The only thing is I would think about getting a 3 person tent to fit both of you and your gear! Let us know what you decide on!

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/

Last edited by allison88 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:11 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

If you are going with backpacking, I can not praise the LL Bean Micro light enough. With enough room for me at 6’4’’ 290 pounds and all my gear at less than 3 pounds the only thing missing is the freestanding feature. Wrath of god thunderstorms and I’ve stayed dry and when I do stupid things like tear the insect netting they have replaced it with no questions asked and the price was less than $150. For the car camping or long term hike in base camps, I have an Alps Extreme that has well over 100 nights of use on it and has never had a problem. With the plethora of tents and tent types narrowing down what you want to use it for will greatly help.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:48 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I just bought a tent earlier this year and did a lot of research online. List your needs/wants then start comparing. Campmor and Amazon carry a lot of different products and are great places to compare prices and look at customer feedback. I find reading other peoples reviews really helpful...they often cover aspects I wouldn't have considered. And it's good insight into a tents good and bad points. I ended up with the ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 2 Tent. I was looking for something that packed up small, had good ventilation, a vestibule for gear storage and was fairly weatherproof. It's definitely worthwhile to spend some time looking. Good luck!

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:08 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

marchowes wrote:
Well, if we are going to bat around the idea of escaping from the confines of the original three then might I suggest going to your local EMS and browsing their "junk rack". Usually you can find perfectly good tents that were returned or might have really easily fixable damage for very good prices.

Nashua, Manchester, Concord all have these junk racks and there are almost always tents in them.

Thats good to know never heard of this rack, and I am going to Peterborough EMS this week. I'll have to see if they have it also.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:23 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

alstaubin wrote:
marchowes wrote:

Thats good to know never heard of this rack, and I am going to Peterborough EMS this week. I'll have to see if they have it also.

In Peterborough, it's actually an entire corner, known as Keith's Corner. Look for the sign hanging from the ceiling - it will have the "junk rack" as Marc calls it as well as all of their clearance items in the same area. tents are frequently found there.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:37 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have purchased all of 3 my tents through the REI garage sale. It's a members only sale ($20 lifetime membership) that is similar to the EMS "junk corner" that happens a few times a year. I got the REI Hobitat 6 about four years ago http://www.rei.com/product/781031/rei-h ... pecial-buy for $80. It had one bent pole. I sent it in and had if fixed for $20. Pretty good price for a $300 tent and works great for car camping. I highly recommend getting a used tent unless it's missing poles (especially fiberglass poles).

I should definitely check out that section at EMS, too!

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/ [/url]

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:17 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

REI Garage Sale is this weekend! Going to check it out if I can!

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next