Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Headlamps 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Headlamps
What do you use for a headlamp or some night time illumination?

I bought this energizer headlamp for $20 at wal mart and it has held up GREAT. Adjustable..2 brightness settings and one red light setting. I feel compared to the more expensive $60+ this thing really holds its own. Uses AAA batteries (keeping an extra set in the pack takes up no room) and it last a very long time on the brightest setting. Wish I remembered how long exactly. Ive dropped this, kicked it, stepped on it and it still looks pretty good.

Then of course the all mighty black diamond lantern. So tiny and so bright and so useful. Always hang this inside the tent :) Dim mode is great. ( thanks mom for buying this one for me )

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:32 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I just bought one of those little lanterns! I got it for the tent but I find I use it in my gazebo at home too! Its a really nice little light.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:01 am

I have a BD Appollo that works well....a little heavy but it is compatable with the NRG system. I ike the one you have ion the pics though. Generally I find I only use it in the tent. Another option is a simple candle lantern.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have the Petzl Tikka (or Tikka-Pro or something like that). Has been used for a few pre-sunrise hikes up Valley Way for the Presi Traverse and has worked swimmingly. I don't think it was too expensive at REI....$25 maybe?

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have a pair of Petzl Tikka 2 LED Headlamps - one for me and the other is ostensibly my wife's but I take it with me as a spare when she's not using it (in winter, in particular.)

I also have one of those $10 LL Bean one-LED, coin battery lights which is useful for changing batteries in the big light.

I have a TOTALLY AWESOME PRODUCT for cycling at night - it is the DiNotte 400L and it has an available headband mount. This would be killer above treeline where you might need to see a ways. Also, on 10% power it lasts like 24 hours (if kept warm). If I ever planned to do a night time traverse, I would get the headband for this light and take it over the Petzl.

Tim

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I have a Black Diamond and a Petzl, but can't remember which specific models. I like to have two when I hike, because if you've ever tried to change the batteries on those things, it's hard enough when there's a light on...I don't want to have to do it in the dark. I also keep each headlamp in different parts of my pack, less chance they both get wet if my pack gets wet. Plus, I keep them in ziploc bags. Yes, I'm overly cautious, but you may have seen me posting about my disastrous trip to Monadnock many years ago. :wink:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I use a cheap Black Diamond one currently. Had two expensive Mammut ones but have lost both of them somehow, somewhere.

I have used the Orbit lantern you posted on the last end of the Bonds Winter traverse last year; i attached it to my pack and it worked good.

Greg

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
Had two expensive Mammut ones but have lost both of them somehow, somewhere.

Pretty sure I saw them lighting the way for a lonely snowshoe :o

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
HardcoreIdiot wrote:

Like.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
HardcoreIdiot wrote:

Why you! You better watch how close you get to the edge of N. Kinsman!! :twisted:

Greg

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
DiNotte 400L[/url] and it has an available headband mount. This would be killer above treeline where you might need to see a ways. Also, on 10% power it lasts like 24 hours (if kept warm). If I ever planned to do a night time traverse, I would get the headband for this light and take it over the Petzl.

Jeez man, for $300 bucks I'd want it to come with someone to carry my pack for me ;)

Bike lights have come a lond way since I dropped a bunch on my ancient NightSun . Don't ride at night much anymore. Used to be fun bombing thru the woods with a good light, though.

I'm gonna stick with my Petzl and Black Diamond backup I guess.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

plus why would you want to waste $300 on a light when you can spend just 3x as much to get a light more than six times brighter?

http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/he ... etty/xpro/

Its name is Betty.

I've looked at a light called Magicshine for a while, but have been scared off by risks of burns and explosions. I'm probably gonna end up just buying a BD Icon or Storm or a PT Apex to replace my light(a pretty old Garrity). I'd like a Petzl Ultra or a Silva Alpha but they are way out of my price range for now.

I also have a BD light with two LEDs AND an incandescent bulb. You can call me all sorts of names over loving that, but the incandescent just makes me feel good for some reason. Maybe it's like a vinyl versus digital thing.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I paid $229 for mine - 2-cell lithium + 400 lumen engine. It is vastly lighter, brighter and cheaper than the previous two NiteRider systems it replaced. I know the cars see me sooner because they dim their high beams WAY earlier than they previously did.

I wouldn't buy it for occasional early-start or late-finish. However, if you need a good light for cycling, or routinely go on longer hikes at night, I would recommend it. It's heavier than the Petzl for sure - heavy enough to have a strap over the top of your head - but if you need the extra lumens...

Tim

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
I paid $229 for mine -

Yeah, I figured by the time you add a head mount it's gonna edge up closer to $300 ... besides, I'm a Cheap B**d so when I'm looking to buy something I round the price up :)

But mostly I was joshing you :)

Riding on the road I just use a cheap CatEye; I'm not too worried about drivers seeing me head-on; I'm way more concerned that the ones approaching from behind see my array of rear blinkie lights :)

In the woods is where I want all the light I can get ... but I do that so rarely I havent replaced the night sun.

quote=Walrus]I also have a BD light with two LEDs AND an incandescent bulb. You can call me all sorts of names over loving that, but the incandescent just makes me feel good for some reason. Maybe it's like a vinyl versus digital thing.[/quote]

Maybe not; The effect can be hard to see, but I notice what I think is a strobing effect with some LED headlamps ; I don't know whether they all do it, but I think at least some use a PWM beam. So rapid motion can seem subtly odd ... or maybe I'm just trippin' :) But the incandescent would smooth that out.

The LED efficiency is so much greater, though. There ain't no going back :)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

+$20 for the headband ... -$20 for the helmet mount if you don't want it....

I too could be labeled a cheap bastard, but I don't mind paying more for something that lasts a while because the most valuable thing in the world to me is my time and I won't spend a lot of it to save a little money, nor do I want to spend several amounts of it to replace failed, cheap stuff. In this case, I needed the light for the bike, and for a mere $20 extra I can take 400 lumens into the woods (could be charged with jacklighting I suspect, although not if unarmed...)

This plays into DiNotte's philosophy of selling individual replacement parts, something which I really like.

Tim

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next