Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Vibram Five Finger shoes 
Sovereign Woodsman

Vibram Five Finger shoes
Does any one own a pair of these?
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
I bought a pair last week after months of undecision. I have worn them around in town and out in the woods behind my house. I even wore them on a roof where they performed well. They are supposed to stregthen your feet an let you walk more natural. I got them to use for river crossings but ended up carrying them the whole trip. It wasn't too bad though, they are supposed to only weigh 11.4 oz. Surprisingly I saw a guy wearing a pair on Middle Carter. I'm pretty sure if I hiked in them I would end up with a broken toe.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I was on Bondcliff last summer, and came across a person wearing a pair of the five-fingers. It blew my mind. I couldn't imagine putting in those types of miles on that type of terrain in those types of shoes.....
But, they are becoming more and more popular.
I've made the switch to trail runners this spring, and am liking those. I think that's as minimalist as I can go.....

Petch

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:53 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I've been running in them recently, but I over did it and strained my achillies. I really like them though, I ran my fastest 5k in 10 years a few weeks ago. I haven't tried hiking but I've done some trail running in Lynn Woods. I probaly wouldn't hike in them.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

after many miles and tired legs my boots save my ankles from the near death they would experience. i also tend to stub my toes alot when my legs get tired as well. these would provide no protecttion and i would most certainly destroy my ankles and smash my toes on rocks.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:44 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I personally LOVE these shoes. Mostly for everyday wear but great on SOME trails. I bought the 'trek' version because they come with a bit more grip on the bottom. I like how you can feel the earth so much more and feel grass between your toes. It is like being barefoot with MOST the protection of the shoe. I hiked up to 12 miles in these over rough terrain and the bottom of my feet were pretty sore from roots and rocks. I also stubbed my toe pretty bad and my nail got quite messed up. So for an everyday shoe, light hiking, or a backup shoe on a backpacking trip I think these are great.

Although... $100 seems a bit steep..seeing as day 4 in them a stick knocked a hole in my mesh 0_o

Image[/img]

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I have that black ksu vibram shoes and it just fits nice. I am not that moved to is it for hiking though this is some sort of all weather shoes. I think that the soles are just to thin and a little fragile for me. Yes, they are try light but the lack of support for the upper part of the feet is just a burden for me. I mean, I would still go with something with a little more padding in it. So for hiking, it would be out for me but good if I will be using it for some running and other sports activities.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:28 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I like the idea of them for water crossings. I tried them on and found them quite comfy! I just couldn't justify the 100$ for them. I would have wore them around the house and yard and stuff to work on my foot strength. Not sure I have the guts to wear them out in public. :oops:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I could never go for the minimalist thing.
I need support and to feel something substantial around my feet.
I don't even feel right hiking in low cuts instead of boots.

And I'm sorry, but feeling and support and benefits aside...
they are the silliest looking things I've ever seen :shock:

(and this from someone who wears a kilt hiking)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I've got 200+ miles on mine Vibram Bikila's. I really can't see myself going back to a normal running shoe at this point. That being said I won't be wearing them hiking. They are pretty common place now running so I don't feel to weird wearing them in public anymore.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I got a pair of KSOs a few weeks ago. I mostly have been wearing them for running and other exercise. I hiked Moosilauke this past Sunday and wore them to the summit, but changed into my boots as my toes were cold from the snow. I figured I'd need to change shoes because of the conditions.

I really like them because I feel more stable on rocks (I can grip with my feet more), less impact on the environment, and you can feel the earth, mud, etc :D I am thinking about using the KSOs off the trail and getting the treksports for hiking; They have better soles for the terrain. I'll probably stick to my hiking boots for snowy conditions and beginning of the Spring, but can't wait to use them more for summer hikes! I'll be posting a review of them on my blog soon!

Allison

NH 4K: 48/48
NH W4K: 48/48
NE67: 67/67
NEHH: 90/100
NH 4k each season: 192/192

Trail adopter of Osseo Trail (upper portion)

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I met a man wearing a pair of the KSOs on Mt Adams last Sunday. I told him that I've seen a few people wearing them on the trail but never before in the snow. :shock: I can't imagine. He told me that he would be wearing his boots for the rest of the year.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]