Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Packs/Gu/Water Bladders 
Sovereign Woodsman

Maybe I am confused, when I am drinking from the tube I think i end up taking in alot of air from the tube to draw the water up, which it feels like I end up getting air in stomach, resulting in feeling bloated and burpy. I have used the on/off bite valves which work great, but just struggle with the gassy feeling.

The Gu comes in caffeine and no caffeine, but in researching this more, it appears there is an ingredient that is in it that causes stomach upset for some people. I have tried the shot blocks and like those and read about the honey stingers, which I will have to look for, not sure who carries that, but that may be better. (GU is even hard to find up here, only Rhino bike works in Plymouth carries that, so finding Honey Stingers may be a challenge). When hiking I tend to not eat until we summit, so i like the packets to take away the shakes as I go along and it gives me a little boost.

Thanks for the info on the ultra light pack. Sounds to be about right. Looked odd, more like a sac on the guys back, kind of unattractive, but I guess it does the job~!

Thanks for the feedback, always interesting to hear what others think.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't know where the air comes from. If you lie the bladder down on the counter after filling it, and hold the tube straight up, then any air in the bladder should float up to the tube. Squeeze all the air out, and then with the bite valve in operation and no blowblack, there should never be air in the system. Maybe it's like drinking from a straw - some people draw up too much air that way. Then again, it's often soda which is gassy by itself.

Note I like the on/off valve for 2 reasons - one is that it eases transport where the weight of the pack or other gear may squeeze the bite valve and cause leakage and the other is that nice 90-degree bend.

Tim

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I use a nalgene type valve that has a magnet embedded in it. There is a companion magent that attches to the lift load strap.

This arrangement really sold me on using a bladder since the tube isn't flopping around.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1047

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Tom_Murphy wrote:
I use a nalgene type valve that has a magnet embedded in it. There is a companion magent that attches to the lift load strap.

Hmmm ... this might explain the guy I saw with a compass ... but still walking in circles ;)

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2