Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sleeping pads 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Sleeping pads
What do you guys use for sleeping pads?

Looking for suggestions/experiences or something cool i haven't thought of :)

i need a new one been looking around..would love to pick up the neoair because of the weight...but to expensive right now..maybe on sale or they come down in price.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I have a couple; one is just a plain 3/4-inch thick Thermarest, but the one I like better is a Big Agnes air-filled pad (I think it's called an "Air Core"). The only downside is that it's not self-inflating, you have to blow it up. But I think it's 1-inch thick so it's pretty comfy. Because it doesn't use the same material inside as the self-inflating pads, it's no heavier than they are.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I still have the same Therm-A-Rest pad I've been using
since 1995 :shock: but if I ever replace it, I'll probably
purchase one of the Big Agnes ones.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I've been using a Therm-a-rest ProLite Plus for a little over a year and I'm very happy with it so far. Packs up to about the size of a coffee can or it can be deflated and used to line your pack. Either way, it's about 24oz and worth it in my opinion. Slept very comfortably at Hancock this past February at 0 degrees on this with a 3/4 length closed cell cheapy underneath it. If something happened to it, I think I'd replace it with the same thing as I really don't have any complaints. Spent about 30 or 40 nights on it thus far.

http://www.rei.com/product/780992/therm ... eeping-pad

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I have a thermarest Prolite as well and it has served me well. I like the light weight and packabilty. Had it for about 5 years now and no problems.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I use a very thin 3/4 ", 3/4 length thermarest with a full-length closed cell pad.
The closed cell pad protects the air mattress, and provides backup if the air mattress does spring a leak.

My air mattress is no longer on the market apparently, but this is similar -

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___62187

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47729

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Just picked up the Big Agnes Air Core largely based on reviews from this site as well as the user reviews on the various retail sites. I will be testing it out next week! Can't wait. Also picked up a couple of EMS drool pillows. Only $10 a piece on sale. Worth it if it adds to a good night sleep.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good call, George! We tend to forget pillows whenever the mattress question comes up.

Used to do the wad-up-everything I have technique, but now I use this:
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655050

Not perfect, mostly it's too bouncy. But I like that I can adjust it and it takes virtually 0 space deflated ...

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:49 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks. I was looking at that pillow too but I didn't think it would be thinck enough for what I am used to. I like the EMS Drool pillow because it has a pocket in the back in which I can still employ the "stuff" technique if I need to add some girth to the pillow. Just the bags, tent and water purifier and I am ready to hit the trail and sleep there! Very exciting.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks for all the sweet suggestions. Heading out this weekend for now i think im going to "borrow" my wifes yoga mat :)

its a little heavy but should do the trick for one night. i want to check out the pillow options...ive always used the stuff my pack method.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wickedbass wrote:
Thanks for all the sweet suggestions. Heading out this weekend for now i think im going to "borrow" my wifes yoga mat :)

When we were in Yosemite my brother thought the same thing and brought his wife's yoga pad (at least he SAID it was his wife's :wink: ). At any rate, he froze his a** off. Of course, we were at 9500 feet and it was close to freezing at night. Just sayin'

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I used an REI trekker 1.75
super heavy and big but really comfortable.."self inflating" yet the instructions require you blow into it..
recently just bought a thermarest Z lite. Weighs nothing, can be used as a seat because its square, and if you fold down the top (this is the square pad) its can be used as a pillow. Nowhere near as thick but thats not a big issue to me

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I currently have a Thermarest Prolite and have only spent one night on it. It is definitely NOT as comfy as my old one but it is super light. Also did not come with a stuff sack which is kinda lame, not a big deal but for the price it should. its "self inflating" but not really. It does self inflate somewhat, but I have to blow into it to really get it firm enough to be practical.

My older pad was also a Thermarest at least 15 years old and I loved it. I don't know what model it was but it was blue :) After a trip earlier this year I left my tailgate down and it must have rolled right out because last I saw it I tossed it in the back of the truck, then discovered the tailgate down and no more pad :( Hence I had to go buy a new one which is not as comfortable. But the older one may have been thicker.

For a pillow I have a furry cloth pouch that I usually stuff my fleece shirt into. Have had it for 15+ years and works great. Since its just a piece of cloth it does not weigh anything.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I used a Prolite, actually the pad that came before it, different name essentially same pad. I used it for several hundred nights including AT thru hike. It has issues now. I replaced it with a Pacific Outdoors Elite AC. It is super light, full length, super compact, and holy crap is it cushy. It just came out this year but it was rated nicely in backpacker so I gave it a try and love it. High R value, true 3 season possible 4 season performance and relatively cheap compared to therma rests. I recommend it.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

^ that sounds like quite the pad! Once my pad is not worthy anymore I will have to check that out.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next