Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Day pack for men/women 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Day pack for men/women
Hello all, this is one of my first posts.

I am currently looking for a day pack, something just to fit lunch and maybe a couple sweatshirts into with water holders on the back.

Weird thing being is I'm looking for a sack that is good for men and women because my boyfriend and I like to take turns carrying the weight. This is for the shorter hikes we do. Any suggestions?

Went to rei last weekend and tried on a few.they felt fine on both of us, but some were women's and some were men's. Any advice?

Thanks!

Mon May 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Welcome,

Seeing as how my daypack has been "misplaced", I'm using my wifes pack for the next couple days. Honestly, other than adjusting some of the straps, I really don't see much of a difference between the two. If your torso's are dynamic opposites than yes there will be a problem. But if you are the fairly close to the same height and weight, I don't think it's too big a problem. Just pick a neutral color, I'm not too thrilled with her purple pack as opposed to my usual black.

Mon May 30, 2011 4:41 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I know that some (not sure if all) women's specific packs have the shoulder straps a bit closer in (since women tend to have narrower shoulders than men.) So odds are you will probably be able to adapt better to a mens backpack than your boyfriend would adapt to a womens pack. But really, if it is just for fairly short jaunts my guess is it will mattr very little since you won't be wearing it very long nor does it sound like you plan to carry heavy loads (where a very good fitting backpack is really required.) So I say just find a pack that fits you both ok and call it good. 8)

Brian

Mon May 30, 2011 4:46 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you so much for the quick response. Makes sense going for the men's pack and then having me adjust rather than have him uncomfortable because his shoulders are too broad. We are roughly the same height and weight so that should make it easier. Hope you locate your pack, I don't blame you for not loving the purple pack. :D

Mon May 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh he knows exactly where his pack is. He is just too ashamed to admit he messed up and left in it my car last weekend. :wink:

Brian

Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

My pack is a travel bug.......it's just logging miles. what sucks is I am not attached to it. Don't sew any rocks into it either!

Mon May 30, 2011 6:48 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

New Hampshire wrote:
Oh he knows exactly where his pack is. He is just too ashamed to admit he messed up and left in it my car last weekend. :wink:

Brian

Lol gotcha.

Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 pm

For a shorter hike you might even want to consider a waist pack. I've been considering getting one of these for short trips. REI has this one, which should be plenty big enough for the things you mentioned carrying, and it's only $60: http://www.rei.com/product/812552/mount ... -waistpack

Also just noticed that you can get this same waist pack for $48.99 with free shipping at Buy.com. Hmmm, now I'm even more interested in getting this. 8)

Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
For a shorter hike you might even want to consider a waist pack. I've been considering getting one of these for short trips. REI has this one, which should be plenty big enough for the things you mentioned carrying, and it's only $60: http://www.rei.com/product/812552/mount ... -waistpack

I suggest you get one that is strapette compatible; the one I use is a discontinued (it's a good pack, sad they discontinued it) EMS pack very similar to the MS Tour, with an EMS version of the strapette.

It's easy to get into the 15 lb range with one of these; the shoulder harness (not the same as the shoulder strap - that's for airports) helps keep it better balanced and above or on your waist ... and still frees your back for evaporation (or bug bites / sunburn)

Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

My first WM48 was Moosilauke on Memorial Day in 2006. I did it using a very small fanny pack - two cycling water bottles, a sandwich and a windbreaker. It all depends on your comfort level with the terrain.

Having caught the bug, I got a 32L day pack which I really liked but it was a bit too small for winter, and a bit too big for summer. I've replaced it with a 40L for winter and a 22L for summer and these are just about perfect.

Tim

Tue May 31, 2011 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]