Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hennessy Hammock 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Hennessy Hammock
I have the week off after Memorial Day. Not sure where I'm going yet, but I got an early birthday gift in the Hennessy Hammock shelter/tent. Explorer Deluxe is the model, wanted to know if anybody has used one before.

They look great, wanted one ever since I saw it on the website, just not sure about warmth... It is only 3lbs, thats gotta beat lugging around the tent, poles and sleeping pad.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Do some research on "underquilts" if you're concerned about warmth. Hammocks can be surprisingly cold, and you might have to lug that sleeping pad anyway(I think the HH's have a sleeve for a pad?).

Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

As Walrus mentioned you can find something called an underquilt, however with the Hennessey (because of the entry door) they are not very easy to use (but with other hammock types the underquilt is supposed to be awesome! :D .) Just bring your sleeping pad and use that as your insulation barrier. I believe it is what most Hennessey users do. I recently bought the Deluxe Explorer as well and now just waiting for the chance to use it. Hennessey does make a "4 season" upgrade that looks like it will do the trick to keep you warm, but looks to be a bit cumbersome and expensive. But I hear simply using your sleeping pad does te trick, and since you already own a sleeping pad it has the added benifit of being free. :D

Brian

Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

In the course of wandering, ran across this, you might find some useful tidbits in here ... or not ...

http://hammockforums.net/

Wed May 18, 2011 7:13 am

scooter wrote:
In the course of wandering, ran across this, you might find some useful tidbits in here ... or not ...

http://hammockforums.net/

Indeed I did find quite a bit of helpful info in there when I was getting ready to make the hammock plunge! I modified my suspension to a rap rings/carabiner shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

Sets up super quick now! 8)

Brian

Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

great links guys thank you! cant wait to get out there now

Thu May 19, 2011 9:23 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

going to REI today..hopefully I leave with a Hennessy Hammock :D
Also hoping they have one set up to try. Have read so many great things about these. Ive also been looking for a one man shelter and these are pretty light and inexspensive compared to some one man tents.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

How are they?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

hammocks
Read these posts for a good summary on hammocks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=36334
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=15516

I use a Jacks R Better bridge hammock.

To compare things on a weight basis you should include the weight of the shelter system and the sleep system. While a hammock is lighter than the tent you will end up with a heavier sleep system. You need insulation below you as well as above you.

My hammock set-up is lighter than using my 2 person tent on a solo but a heavier than the cutting edge 1-person tents available today.

The advantages of using a hammock are
1) a very comfortable sleep
and
2) the ability to easily find a spot to set-up; need are two 4-6 inch diameter trees that are 12-15 feet apart. Lots of those in the WMNF

I was out last winter and recorded -7 deg F while using my hammock.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Re: hammocks
I will be saving 6.25 lbs for now with my Hammock. Wont need the pad (I realize I will when it gets colder) which is an REI trekker 1.75. I also have to carry a two man tent for my solo trips (it was purchased with the intent me and my mother would mostly be doing trips together). So I get to eplace the 8lbs 13 oz with 2lbs 9oz.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Even on a summer night on the saco (2 weeks ago) found myself layering up around 2am when I woke up shivering. You'll want at least a sleeping bag untill the fall hits, probably more as the seasons drag on. It was 90 during the day so I figured I'd be fine with just a tshirt, I was wrong.

If its a nice night I would fore go the rainfly, nothing like sleeping under the stars and not worrying about bugs.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:55 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I stayed at Guyot for the first time this weekend. I had my tent but last night I just picked up my Hammock. I didnt even see where I could have really used it..anyone run into problems finding a good spot in the White Mountains to hang the hammock?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 am

I haven't been to Guyot campsite, but I'd imagine if you're in a cleared area that's set up for tent platforms, perhaps it could be harder to find a couple of trees at the right distance from each other. Is that what you mean? When Brian (New Hampshire) and I did a little "backcountry camping" a few weeks ago, we had no trouble at all finding good spots.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Sadly, I will be returning my Hammock. I love the idea of it but its not quite for me. I WISH I loved it! I feel I would benefit morr from a one man tent. I still recommend giving it a try :)

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:27 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

HeavyPack wrote:
Sadly, I will be returning my Hammock. I love the idea of it but its not quite for me. I WISH I loved it! I feel I would benefit morr from a one man tent. I still recommend giving it a try :)

That is not uncommon. It is a love/hate thing and there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

BTW, I never have trouble finding trees to hang from below a certain elevation, typically 3000'-3500'. Much easier than finding flat level spots that are not in a drainage path. YMMW.

Please let us know what tent you get; I have been looking at MLD lunar duo and MLD moment.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next