Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Snow shoesss 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Snow shoesss
Although I've been an avid summer hiker, I've been getting into winter hiking so its about time to get a nice pair of snow shoes.

Any recommendations?!

From what I've read on here I am definitely going to go with 25's. I've been eyeballing a pair of tubbs at EMS but its the only place I've really looked and am a indecisive buyer. What are some good qualities I should look for? I won't be doing anything extreme but I would like a pair that stays with me while my skill level increases for a few years. And I am in college so money is a factor.

Any advice/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanksss

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:10 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I've been winter hiking for 4 seasons, and I've owned three different pairs of snowshoes (I guess I like to buy gear!).

First I had Tubbs Ventures, and they were ok, but I found that on steep trails, they didn't provide enough traction.

The next pair I owned were MSR Denali Evo Ascents, which had great traction, but I didn't like the bindings as much as the Tubbs - the straps over the top of my feet hurt and they were difficult to put on if you were wearing gloves.

Last season I bought Tubbs Flex Alps, which are 24-inch shoes. They have the same bindings as the ones I liked on the Ventures, and just as good traction (maybe a little better) as the MSRs.

A lot of people still like the MSR Denalis, but I also see a lot of people with MSR Lightning Ascents. A couple of friends of mine from this board recently bought Tubbs Mountaineers - also a good snowshoe.

So you can see that there are a lot of choices. I'd recommend something with aggressive traction, like the last few mentioned above. Keep in mind that some companies (like Tubbs) have several different versions of what looks like basically the same snowshow as seen from the top, however, the bottom might be completely different between different versions. The big difference is in how much traction each provides. For example, the Tubbs Flex TRK is the lowest level, Tubbs Flex NRG is the next level up, while Tubbs Flex Alp is the highest (in terms of traction...and price). If you want snowshoes that will stay with you as your skill level increases, spend a little more now and you won't regret it.

Edit: I just realized that on the EMS website, they rate snowshoes with symbols like the ones they use on ski trails: green circles, blue squares, and black diamonds. This is actually pretty useful when choosing snowshoes. I would recommend buying snowshoes with the black diamond symbol. You might not necessarily need something that aggressive now, but in a season or two, you might, and you'll be glad you spent an $40-50. I don't see the Tubbs Flex Alps on the EMS site, but you may be able to get them at REI, or on one of the online stores. I got my Flex Alps for a good price at http://www.sunnysports.com, but I'm not sure if they still stock them.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

x2 on the Flex Alps

So far so good. I like the bindings. They are way more secure than my old Atlas's

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've got the Tubbs Ventures. They're ok, but can't tell you how they're working this winter b/c they are back at the Tubbs factory. Long story.

When at EMS picking up gratis rentals (THANK YOU LISA!) I mentioned perhaps upgrading. The Tubbs Flex seemed the way to go. I checked out the NRGs, and coulda sworn I saw the ALPS.

I'm cheap though (or frugal, or poor, depending on perspective) so I won't buy snowshoes in winter. I did find the NRGs online though for $50 less than EMS price and free shipping. I think they were $144.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you all for the reply,

I visited EMS today... after the roads were cleared up, I'm not that far anyways... I looked at the Flex NRG, Alp, and the MSR's. I definitely think I'll be going for the Flex Alps. Like Bob said, It will be worth putting the extra money in now than in a year or two.

Thanks again!

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I guess my limited experience answer would be based on what do you expect to be hiking. If you're mainly going to be on packed or previously packed with moderate new snow, I'd say the Flex's will do you fine. The traction on those on the steeps is the key advantage, and I do love the Tubbs bindings.

If you expect to be breaking trail a bunch, you might consider the Mountaineers or such (I have the 30" Couloirs). The traction isn't as great, but I've found the floatation is better than my smaller cheapo Guide Gear shoes.

Most people have either the MSR or Tubbs plastic shoes and get by with no problems.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:12 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

does anyone have an opinion of atlas aspect 24"?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:26 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Funny you ask about those. I saw those in REI a couple weeks ago. They are new this year I believe. I have a pair of Atlas 1025's. I think Atlas has the best binding. Very easy in and out but they chose not to put it on that shoe. Maybe the thinking on this one is to have the front pre-set to step in and just tightening the back. But if you ware a couple different shoes in winter like I do, that doesn't work. Other than that, I think they look like a pretty good mountaineering snowshoe.

Atlas Aspect 24

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]