Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New YakTrax 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

New YakTrax
I believe this is a new YakTrax product. They look like they could be a good alternative to Microspikes. More points and the anti-balling is definitely a plus. Has anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.backcountry.com/yaktrax-xtr- ... erralID=NA

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: New YakTrax
[quote="JustJoe"]I believe this is a new YakTrax product. They look like they could be a good alternative to Microspikes. More points and the anti-balling is definitely a plus. Has anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.backcountry.com/yaktrax-xtr- ... erralID=NA[/quote]

Stick with your micro spikes. I've seen a bunch of these break already.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:48 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Heh heh, I find it funny Joe that the link you post has 7 reviews of the product....all one star. :lol:

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:44 am
Sovereign Woodsman

At least they look like they wouldn't fall off in the middle of a bushwhack so easily. :P

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:56 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I was impressed with the look. Didn't even bother to look at the reviews. :roll: I do like the anti-balling plates. If Hillsound would incorporate those into their trail crampons, they'd have a much better product.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Not sure what your worried about with snow balling up, Joe. I rarely have that problem with my Microspikes.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

When going out the the WM is Micro Sprikes good enough? or should I ALSO have a 10 or 12 point crampons with me as well?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

RWills81 wrote:
When going out the the WM is Micro Sprikes good enough? or should I ALSO have a 10 or 12 point crampons with me as well?

Here's my opinion, and it's sure to offend a lot of people here... but from experience I think microspikes provide a false sense of security and are just plain dangerous.

Read the accidents section of Appalachia magazine (the AMC publication) and you'll see plenty of examples where people slipped and fell and sprained or broke something while wearing "light traction devices".

You should hike in winter with snowshoes and crampons. Forget microspikes. For those that want less aggressive crampons, but that still function as legit traction and don't fall off or break, the Kahtoola KTS steel are excellent. http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.php

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, IMHO microspikes will do easily in 95% of the time. Crampons will take care of the rest, but you can also avoid them by choosing to avoid situations where the crampons might be necessary. Frankly I think crampons can be just as dangerous. Anyone who has caught a front point on something knows this.....

Bottom line, winter hiking (just like any hiking) has it's inherent dangers. Blaming it on gear is just silly. Common sense is your best defense.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Well, IMHO microspikes will do easily in 95% of the time. Crampons will take care of the rest, but you can also avoid them by choosing to avoid situations where the crampons might be necessary.

I've done a fair share of winter hiking, nothing extreme, and very little in the presidentials except Clinton and Eisenhower. Spikes have worked well for me and with all due respect to Rock Therapy, I do not feel they give me a false sense of security. In fact, just the opposite. They give me a true sense of security (one in fact, that I did not have with crampons as I was not "hiking" but "marching" and ever vigilant of keeping the flesh in my calves well...in my calves.). That coupled with Brian's reference to common sense have kept me happy, safe, intact and out of trouble.

Now if only I could stop injuring my toes so I can get back out hiking!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

RockTherapy wrote:
Here's my opinion, and it's sure to offend a lot of people here... but from experience I think microspikes provide a false sense of security and are just plain dangerous.

I'm not offended in the least, but I do disagree. Crampons for hiking in the Whites are overkill in many cases. It's not the Himalayas, not every trail is Huntington's, etc. etc. I certainly wouldn't want to wear crampons on thin ice, or at other times when there's plenty of exposed rock (or roots to trip on). Light traction doesn't provide security, they provide, well, light traction. :D I'm very aware of what I'm doing when I step out on sheer ice on Microtracks, and step very slowly, gently, and am either holding onto something, or understand what I'm going to do if I fall. If I'm on something steep that requires crampons (a fall with cause serious injury), I'll turn around or put them on.

There are definitely places where crampons would be necessary depending on conditions. They have their place.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Basically you can venture out with Microspikes just fine but it is always good to have crampons with you just incase

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

RWills81 wrote:
Basically you can venture out with Microspikes just fine but it is always good to have crampons with you just incase

Depends. I have not needed my crampons for a good 3 years now (not so irnoically that was about when I got my microspikes). Should you have a pair of crampons? That depends. There are certain times of the year (usually early and late season when you get freeze-thaws over the course of 24 hours) when combined with trail grades that may require it. Will you get laughed at for carrying crampons all season long? No. But what I personally am saying (I won't speak for the other two) is that you can avoid ever needing them by knowing what to avoid and when.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Some day I can imagine thinking "Boy, I'm glad I brought my crampons". Hasn't happened yet, but I suppose it could. Mostly I unpack them at the end of a hike and think "so glad I carried the extra weight with me today."

I have used them a handful of time, to get used to them before I desperately needed them. In all cases though others made do with 'spikes or snowshoes and I am 100% certain I could have as well.

Tim
p.s. above applies only to hiking in NH.
p.p.s. Others will have different experience and opinions.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I totally agree with Brian on when and where. Place I could *imagine* they might be wise at a few times of the year (imagine because I haven't been there): Whiteface ledges. Place I could imagine needing them in most cases: Huntington's, north slide of Tripyramid, Osceola slide, etc. etc.

Just because people are dumb with them doesn't mean they don't have their place.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next