Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Noob Winter Hiking gear 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

So tell me which one you would get in your opinion.

I found a Columbia Bugaboo parker at a closeout place for $75, a Columbia Steep Slope for $123 or with that EMS Helix for $175.

Me...I am leaning on the Bugaboo because of the insane price from $230 marked down to $75...but I don't want something that won't hold up or be weather tight

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Now I am not saying go out and buy wool everything.

Totally, wool underwear really itches.

Personally, I'd go with the Bugaboo. The price is right at what *I* (meaning, me personally) would pay. Columbia makes good products, IMO, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. My hardshell has been through some bushwhacks and has held up nicely.

I just use my regular hiking pants, with long underwear underneath, and a pair of insulated EMS 5k snow pants. Again, all cheap, and I've NEVER had cold legs under some cold conditions. I usually don't bother with gaiters. The snow pants take care of any issues there.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I read that the Bugaboo lacks a powder skirt and armpit zips...does this matter that much? There was also 2 reviewers on REI's site saying it isn't really waterproof. Same with Alrec's review calling fairly water resistant, but many more reviewers calling it water-proof

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

RWills81 wrote:
I read that the Bugaboo lacks a powder skirt and armpit zips...does this matter that much? There was also 2 reviewers on REI's site saying it isn't really waterproof. Same with Alrec's review calling fairly water resistant, but many more reviewers calling it water-proof

There is nothing...NOTHING...you can wear on this planet that is both 100% waterproof and breathable. The people making the comments in the reviews probably don't even realize it is not rain/snow seeping through the jacket, but their own sweat. Water resistant can give you breathability but not guarentee some water will eventually seep in. 100% waterproof can (usually) guarentee no rain/snow water seeps through.....but your going to get bathed in your own sweat because of it. It is all a trade off. In summer it is mostly about keeping you warm. In winter it is mostly about wind protection.

Look, I'll be frank with you.....save all your cash. Buy a Columbia fleece jacket. Take your summer rain jacket (I am of course assuming you have one.) Between a polypro t-shirt (can be had cheap), polypro long sleeve shirt (can be had cheap), fleece jacket (can be had cheap) and your rain jacket you now have a perfect 4 layer system. THAT is what is important...layering. I can guarentee you that 75% of the time you will be in 3 layers...the t-shirt, long sleeve and fleece jacket. When the wind kicks up your rain jacket should protect you from the wind.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'll again agree with the Bri-Master (why, I don't know :P ), but will amend what he said to needing a waterproof layer in winter for wind protection to also needing it in conditions where you'll be getting a lot of snow dumped on you. Classic case would be recent snow on the trees on a already deep snow layer. You don't want all that snow going on your fleece.

And polypro is da bomb!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
DING DING DING DING DING, we have a winner. That is the philosophy I was trying to infer, but you said it perfectly.

BTW, what the hell is this, mutual appreciation day? :D

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I can say the Helix kept the falling snow from the branches nicely off my head and back :)

-Bradford Angier-

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Clothing and their purposes
Hi,

I hope this post will be helpful to you. This is only one way of doing it...

I made a list of what each piece of clothing did first and that helped me organize what I needed vs what I already had that the would work.

For example, my summer rain jacket was my winter hardshell for the first few winters. A few years later I found a Columbia ski jacket with minimal insulation on sale at the end of the winter.

The Columbia jacket really looks the part but I miss the pit zips on the rain jacket. The tough part was finding a ski jacket that didn't have a lot of insulation since insulating isn't what I use my hardshell for.

My two 3 season fleece jackets take turns as a mid insulation layer / softshell. One has a tight weeve and is very windproof but I need to be extra careful about sweating since it doesn't breath. The other one wicks away moisture great so I can tolerate a bit of overheating but a wind goes right through it. I want to buy a softshell some day but I am making do with gear I have.

I have EMS knee high gaiters and they have worked well for me. They add a good deal of warmth but more importantly, when I pouched through a snow bridge with foot/boot/snowshoe I was incredibly thankful for them.

Much of my actual hiking is done stripped down to my wool baselayers, goretex bib pants, a thin wool hat, and thin wool liner gloves [I am a walking advertisement for the smartwool brand]

Good luck. Wear layers, and subtract them, as needed, to avoid sweating

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

As mentioned above, waterproof and breathability, are a great sales pitch; but in the field under working conditions you find one or the other prevails. On that note, with a good 20k waterproof shell I find the pit zips are a blessing. The pit zips on the Helix are welded zippers that open with two zips per side making for a nice range of adjustment and they really help shed the heat when you're moving.

-Bradford Angier-

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Don't forget to check Sierra Trading Post. Sign up for gear mail and you'll get 20% off coupons almost everyday.

Sometimes it's tough to find just the right size but keep looking as their stock changes daily

Pants? Mountain Hardwear winter wanderer.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2