Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Noob Winter Hiking gear 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Noob Winter Hiking gear
Hello-

I have been hiking for the past 2 years and really want to go out in the White Mountains in the winter but will not go until I have all the proper gear. My first quest was to replace my summer water resistant hiking shoes with water proof boots. I have been researching different shoes and came up with a list. I was wondering if anyone can chime in on said boots if they have them or used them. FYI I am 6'4 245 and where about a size 12.

- Salomon Beluha WP LTR Winter Boots $150
- Salomon Snowtrip TS WP Winter Boots $125
- Columbia Titanium Bugaboot XTM Omni-Tech $129
- North Face Slot WP Winter Boots $129
- Sorel Conquest Boots $135
- Garmont Momentum Snow GTX $130

Anyone have some personal info other than the reviews I have been reading would be great.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Garmont
I just got the Garmonts for women. I have only wore them around town as of yet. I havent had the chance to get up a trail yet. Tomorrow will be the day. I am happy with them so far. The only issue I see is some break in for the calf. The boot goes up higher which is great because I tend to run hot on the trail and this will enable me to not HAVE to wear a gaiter. Less is more for this girl!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have been looking at, but have not purchased yet, the Hi-Tech Yeti's. They come in 200, 400 and 600 gram insulation. The Garmonts look very nice.

-Bradford Angier-

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Noob Winter Hiking gear
[quote="RWills81"]Hello-

I have been hiking for the past 2 years and really want to go out in the White Mountains in the winter but will not go until I have all the proper gear. My first quest was to replace my summer water resistant hiking shoes with water proof boots. I have been researching different shoes and came up with a list. I was wondering if anyone can chime in on said boots if they have them or used them. FYI I am 6'4 245 and where about a size 12.

- Salomon Beluha WP LTR Winter Boots $150
- Salomon Snowtrip TS WP Winter Boots $125
- Columbia Titanium Bugaboot XTM Omni-Tech $129
- North Face Slot WP Winter Boots $129
- Sorel Conquest Boots $135
- Garmont Momentum Snow GTX $130

I have the Garmonts and love them. 400 grams of insulation, Gortex, and wicked light. Hard to beat. Both of the Salomon boots you mentioned only have 200 grams of insulation and the Northface Slot and Sorel Conquest weigh a ton in comparison. I sell all of these boots but the Garmont is by far the most popular. Make your choice soon, most outfitters are running out of sizes.

Anyone have some personal info other than the reviews I have been reading would be great.[/quote]

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I just took a look at the Garmonts online. Silly me I thought they were only made for woman lol. The one thing I noticed is how the laces are connected by a cloth material. On a pair of Keen's I owned one of those wore out and broke after about a year of use.

-Bradford Angier-

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

[quote="Cruzin1a"]I just took a look at the Garmonts online. Silly me I thought they were only made for woman lol. The one thing I noticed is how the laces are connected by a cloth material. On a pair of Keen's I owned one of those wore out and broke after about a year of use.[/quote]

Those loops usually work very well but occasionally they fail. When they do the manufacturer usually just replaces the boots.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:29 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thanks guys I ended up getting the Garmonts today, they feel great...on for the next item I am looking for a hard shell and will check out Hilton's Tent City or Kittery's Trading Post I have been looking online. Does anyone have any of these items or know of...

- North Face Galaxy Triclimate Jacket (w/down liner)
- North Face Mountain Guide Jacket
- North Face Mountain Light Jacket
- North Face Conor Triclimate jacket (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Lhotse Mountain Parka (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Psycho Cowboy II Parka (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Steep Slope Parka
- Columbia Bugaboo Parka
- Columbia Bugaboo reskin Parka
- Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero Hooded Down

Or any other's you guys can think of

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

[quote="RWills81"]Thanks guys I ended up getting the Garmonts today, they feel great...on for the next item I am looking for a hard shell and will check out Hilton's Tent City or Kittery's Trading Post I have been looking online. Does anyone have any of these items or know of...

- North Face Galaxy Triclimate Jacket (w/down liner)
- North Face Mountain Guide Jacket
- North Face Mountain Light Jacket
- North Face Conor Triclimate jacket (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Lhotse Mountain Parka (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Psycho Cowboy II Parka (w/fleece liner)
- Columbia Steep Slope Parka
- Columbia Bugaboo Parka
- Columbia Bugaboo reskin Parka
- Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero Hooded Down

I'm not familiar with most of these but what you're looking for is a bomb proof shell with pit zips and attached hood. You can add the other layers later. Most of the columbia jackets I've seen are designed for gravity sports and aren't very light. Weather proof zippers are also nice and gortex or equivilent is a must.

Or any other's you guys can think of[/quote]

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Check out the Orion from EMS (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3646137) - I love mine, and it's made it through three winters of pushing through spruce and snowblowing with only a minor scratch. It's on sale for a great price right now.

Tim

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I went with the Helix from EMS.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3933255

I used it last weekend on a climb up Sandwich Mtn. With a synthetic underlayer and a microfleece I was toasty and never broke a sweat. So far I'm very happy with it. It's still on sale for $175. The welded seems and the pit zips were two features I liked.

-Bradford Angier-

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Ok, I only glanced at most of the jackets you listed. I have to be honest....I think your crazy to be spending that kind of money on a jacket. I have been winter hiking for 6 years now, but by no means would I claim my opinion is the right one or the only one. But I have been using an LL Bean softshell like this this one for about 4 years now and it is PERFECT! I have not re treated mine since I bought it and it still remains water resistant. It is durable...I have used it whacking in winter....and it is wind resistant to a surprising degree. For days when the winds get really high up above treeline....like 40 or 50MPH....I throw my $30 rain jacket on top of everything, the same one I use is summer. What is more is it is nice a breathable, one of the greatest selling points of a softshell.

Spending $200 on a winter jacket does not make you a better winter hiker. Save the cash, get only what you need, and apply the saved money on other gear.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I thought the Helix was a great deal for $175 in a market that can get up around $500 for a top of the line shell. In general I go for the happy medium and I can only speak to what I've done. Until I bought the Helix I also wore my summer rain shell. I can honestly say there's a difference I felt between the two.

However many a person has ventured off in to far worse conditions than I in a wool coat. My friend scores some sweet deals at the Goodwill but it's very hit or miss. So in the end you have to go with your budget and your own personal needs. I still feel the Helix is an excellent bang for the buck and I am hoping it will provide years of performance.

-Bradford Angier-

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I pretty much only buy stuff on sale. I finally got a Columbia hardshell last year for $60, and it's more than adequate. In fact, I hardly wear it, except in high winds, extreme cold, or where I'm getting snow dumped on me a lot. Usually in winter I'm hiking in a base layer, a microfleece shirt, and a fleece once I get going.

My 30" Tubbs Couloirs were $146 with shipping.

I have a pair of plastic boots, but they ended up being slightly small (at $30 for Lowa's, I'm not too worried about the money). I wear leathers in the winter, and despite getting some cold feet in extreme conditions when I stand still, they do the job well enough for me.

Basically I buy good (not necessarily the best) products at steep discounts. I may not be "ideally" outfitted, but I trust my knowledge and experience will make up for any shortcomings.

Hope this is of some help.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 am

Salty wrote:
Basically I buy good (not necessarily the best) products at steep discounts. I may not be "ideally" outfitted, but I trust my knowledge and experience will make up for any shortcomings.

DING DING DING DING DING, we have a winner. That is the philosophy I was trying to infer, but you said it perfectly. Basically it comes down to this, do you want to have expensive stuff you paid an arm and a leg for to go out hiking safely or would you rather have decent stuff that does the same exact thing and allows you to go out hiking safely,, but now with more money in your wallet.... :lol:

Just some food for thought. Guy Waterman hiked all the winter 48 from every compass direction. Usually solo. This was all done before fancy gortex this, polypro that. And since he chose a pretty minimalist lifestyle he did not have a lot of money later on in his life when he was doing this. So you can bet he sed a lot of simple and cheap matrials like wool. Now I am not saying go out and buy wool everything. It is just a point being made that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on clothing, boots, etc. to be safe.

Brian

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:56 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thanks again guys, I think I am gonna head down to EMS and check out that Helix and Orion jacket since these are way below the prices I was originally looking at, thanks for you responses.

Next is pants and gaitors

Quick question would you consider the North Face Passport Triclimate with the liner for 200 worth it since the orginal is 300, also the Columbia Steep Slope Parka I can get for 180 instead of the 260 price, just wondering if these are worth it over those EMS jackets from previously mentioned...

I actually just found that sam Columbia Steep Slope Parka for 123 at the Sierra trading post...wondering if I should jump on this...What worries me is that Sierra says it is Omni-Tech Water Resistant and then Hilton's Tent City says omni tech water proof-breathable

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next