Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 hiking boots for winter? 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

The Garmont's look nice with he 400g of insulation, and the price is good also. The Tecnica's have a sweet price and look great too, but they're sold out and I didn't see an insulation rating on them in the description. Post back with a quick review on how well they perform :D

-Bradford Angier-

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Cruzin1a wrote:
Post back with a quick review on how well they perform :D

I assume that you are inquiring about the Garmot's. The Tecnicas are almost 10 years old. I'm sure that there is better technology out there now but they wok well for me.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Well, I decided to return the La Sportiva boots. Since I was working with an EMS gift certificate, I stayed with EMS. My feet are very finicky so, I am very reluctant to mail order boots, without first trying them on.
Anyway, I lucked out. My local EMS had a pair of Merrell Thermo 8 boots in my size. I tried them on and the felt great! I bought them and like them a lot. I haven't gone on a good hike yet .. chomping at the bit. However, I've worn them on a few extended outdoor walks, maybe 7 miles so far, to start breaking them in. So far so good.
Wow! This is the first time I've had actually winter hiking boots!
Nice.
:)

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I feel your excitement. I put mine on right out of the box. I took the gamble with EMS because I knew they would return them if they didnt fit. I cannot wait to get out tomorrow and the weather has sort of upgraded!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

review
Cruzin1a wrote:
Post back with a quick review on how well they perform :D

My first time on the trail with the new boots.

So we went out on Sunday to explore Bartlett Mtn. I snowshoed all the way up and on the off trail, bushwhack, trail finding part. They on the way down I decided to give it a rest and carry the snowshoes and just try the traction on the boots. Holy hell this was fun. The boots seem to grip so well. It may have been snow conditions or just bad previous experience with the last pair of boots. I ran down most of the trail skipping! It was so nice to not have cold feet and be able to rely on my boots not to slip all over. As for me, the Garmonts are it for now. Until the next pair.

Happy Trails
Heather

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

That's nice to hear they worked out well on the trail :D

-Bradford Angier-

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:26 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

The Concord EMS just got a bunch of the Garmont Momentum's and they are on sale at 20% off.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

50% off snowshoes at EMS right now would be far greater appreciated :)

-Bradford Angier-

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Stanb wrote:
The Concord EMS just got a bunch of the Garmont Momentum's and they are on sale at 20% off.

I found out that the boots I paid $140 for were on sale for $112, EMS gave me the $28 back. GREAT customer service.

Thanks for the heads up!
Heather

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I've been using a pair of Koflach Degre mountaineering boots now for years for my winter hikes. Pretty stiff plastic boot, but I wouldn't want much less in the winter up here. Have a lot of flexibility...my Tubbs Katahdin snowshoes work great with them and my feet are never cold! I don't believe they make these boots anymore, but I heard rumors someone may start making them again.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Personally for hiking i've avoided most of those brands and went a bit more upscale. Belleville 790s. A good temperate weather boot, comfortable, easy to move about in, good ankle support, waterproof, and almost stylish (not really :P).
:lol:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I got myself a pair of North Face Chilkats and I freaking love them. I did some snowshoeing this past winter. Mostly in the woods and on a frozen lake by my house. I went out one one of the coldest days of the winter. As I recall the temp topped out around 8 degrees. My feet were toasty warm the whole time. And they might be the most comfortable footwear I own. I would seriously keep them on in the house because they were so comfortable. The only regret I had seeing that awful winter end was that I couldn't wear my boots anymore. I look forward to breaking them out again come December.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

anyone ever try using steel toe boots in the winter? writing that out, it sounds stupid.. but i get a free pair of steel toe boots from work every now and then and was wondering if anyone else tried the same?

right now i have these these: http://www.bing.com/shopping/pittsburgh ... CA&lppc=15

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd be afraid the steel would act as a conduit to conduct heat away from your feet... You probably want a minimum of 400g (-25) for winter boots. I personally have 600g (-45) Columbia Ice Dragon IIs and I really like them.

Tim

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

slow_slug wrote:
anyone ever try using steel toe boots in the winter? writing that out, it sounds stupid.. but i get a free pair of steel toe boots from work every now and then and was wondering if anyone else tried the same?

right now i have these these: http://www.bing.com/shopping/pittsburgh ... CA&lppc=15

The tread looks like it would make it a good backpacking/hiking boot.

But, as Tim said, you will want/need some insulation in there for winter day hikes.

After the first snowstorm wear them to shovel your drive way and walk around the neighborhood for a few miles. Then, and here is the important part, stand around a few hours to determine if your feet stay warm.

Everyone's feet are warm when they are hiking, it is when you are stopped that the insulation does its job.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next