Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 hiking boots for winter? 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

hiking boots for winter?
Well, after years of being cheap I want to get myself some good, insulated boots for winter hiking ... trails, the white mtns. This is for non-technical (no rock/ice climbing). I have crampons and snow shoes so somethng that would work with these as well. I have been using my LL Bean winter boots sometimes or my summer hiking boots (ASolo Ativa GTX). The LL Bean boots are too soft and the Ativa's aren't very waterproof and aren't very warm.

Anyway, I got a gift certificate to EMS for a Christmas gift so I've been looking there. I tried on some Scarpas but they were way too stiff.
I made the mistake of trying on a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX and my feet fell in love! I ended up taking them home but, now have buyers regrets. They are more than I had wanted to spend (at $475) and I think they are really a lot more boot than I really need.

I'm looking for suggestions for comfortable winter hiking boots .. what do other folks like and use?

Something appropriate for doing the winter 48.

Thanks,
Rob

[/url]

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Columbia Ice Crushers....never had a problem excpet for when wearing them in too warm weather (usually above freezing) causing my feet to sweat.

Brian

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

You'll probably get quite a wide variety as footwear is a very individual thing. This is what I use. They're very warm and comfortable.

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-B ... t,pd.html#

Last edited by JustJoe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:20 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

stiffness?
Do they have stiff enough soles for rock hopping and for crampons?
My LL Bean boots are marginal in this regard.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Like I said, footwear is very individual. It sounds like you really want a mountaineering boot which these are not. I'm not sure why you think you need a stiff sole to rock-hop though. Mine work fine for that and work fine with crampons that are designed for a non-rigid boot or mountaineering type boot.

Last edited by JustJoe on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:51 am

I used to have Columbia Ice Crushers - gave them away to someone because they were bothering my ankle - but those were a bit too warm for me. I now use Merrell Thermo 6 boots and love them. Completely waterproof and while I've only worn crampons once with them, I think they'd be fine for doing the entire winter 48. I've done about a dozen winter 4Ks with these and haven't had any problems. But not quite as warm as some other boots...

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Nah, I don't think I really need a mountaineering boot. Otherwise I'd probably keep the La Sportivas. Just need something a bit stiffer than my LL Bean boots, which are better suited for walking the dog or shovelling the driveway in the winter. 8)

I avoid ordering footwear online. I like to try them on first. My feet are too picky! Unfortunately, this limits the selection of boots available to me.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:04 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Keep the La Sportivas!

I have the exact same boots and love them. They're relly not too much boot at all. As far as mountaineering boots go, they're light by comparison, comfortable on long hauls (after break-in), and they're small enough to fit any snowshoe or crampon bindings.

Additionally, we're talking winter hiking here. Cold toes can really spoil a hike. These boots are warm enough - barely - but not bulky like a snowmobile boot or household-grade winter boot.

By the way, I got some clip-on Black Diamond crampons for Christmas and I just got a chance to really put them to use on Thursday with a loop of the TriPyramids. How awesome it was to be able to clip into and out of the crampons without needing to take off my mittens. Also, the toe and heel welts felt very secure, no straps to constrict blood flow and make my feet cold, and the boots are stiff enough and form-fitting enough that I experienced no heel lift or hot spots whatsoever on the whole 11 mike hike.

Mountaineering boots are the way to go - buyers remorse will fade in time as your pockets recover from their sudden loss.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:59 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

winter boots
One of the best winter boots I've seen this winter, for the money is Garmonts Momentum. 400 grams of insulation, Goretex, and lighter than most of the others I've seen. Great in snowshoes or with Micro Spikes.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: winter boots
Stanb wrote:
One of the best winter boots I've seen this winter, for the money is Garmonts Momentum. 400 grams of insulation, Goretex, and lighter than most of the others I've seen. Great in snowshoes or with Micro Spikes.

Ahhhhh....a note from the EMS shoe master himself!!

How much are these bad boys Stan? I'm willing to bet Russ has already been down to the store to try these on right?! Hopefully they don't come in a 10.5 unless they are under $100!

:lol:

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Don't worry, we're already out of them. (But I got mine first.) I think they were around $140. There still may be some available at EMS.com.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:00 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

For my 3 season hiking needs I have a pair of Asolo tps 520 gv's. Before this season I never hiked in the winter. They are Goretex lined and waterproof but I can testify to the fact they are not warm in the winter. That's obvious though, they are not a winter hiking boot. Currently I wear a Smart Wool sock liner and heavy Marino wool hiking socks along with toe warmers. It's been functional but not the proper way to do it and in an emergency I might find my toes reaaaally unhappy with me. As a matter of fact my toes were cold with the above mentioned setup on several times yesterday doing Sandwich mountain.

My only other option is a pair of North Face Chill Cats I have as general purpose snow boot for around town. They feel like they'd be wamer but I haven't tested them on an extended hike in the snow. They also don't feel like they would be very uncomfortable over a long hike.

The La Sportivas look sweet but all the winter gear I needed in other areas has depleted by finances.

I read the posts above, all great info. I'll keep saving some cash and maybe I'll be able to get something as the sales kick in closer to the end of the season.

-Bradford Angier-

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I took a quick online for a boot that isn't too bulky, was insulated and looked like it would work with snow shoes. Oh and also wasn't super expensive.

These look pretty cool. They go for around $124.

http://www.hi-tec.com/us/65729-product-yeti_ii_600i-mens.html

-Bradford Angier-

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Garmont
I just this week ordered some sweet a$$ Garmont hikers for winter as I thought I was going to lose some toes last week and it wasnt even as cold as it will be this week! Anyone have any experience with these?:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10829218

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

These are what I use. Probably overkill but I got a great deal as I work for the company. The sole has zero flex so they work great with snowshoes and in the snow but can be a little awkward on bare rock. They are not bulky but they are heavy for their size and a warm sock is important. I use them for winter hiking and snowmobiling and after 9 years they still keep my feet dry.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4685 ... r-Men.html

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next