Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Water Filtration 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Water Filtration
I'm in the market for a water filter. I've been using the tablet based stuff for years, and although I'll be keeping them with me, it's time to get with the program in this area.

What do you use? What would consider the best bang for the buck? I was looking at the Steri-pen line, but would live to hear your recommendations.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:12 am

I have a friend that uses the steri-pen and loves it. Keep in mind that the "floaters" are still in the water but it's quick and easy

I use the Kataydn hiker filter and prefer it to the pen. I get the floaters out but do need to clean the filter on a regular basis. Plus the pumping can be a pain if I have to fill a few bottles.
Check REI, they're having a sale this week so you may be able to save some $$ on which ever one you decide on.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I've got the Katahdin Hiker Pro but I've only used it once. I always carry the Aqua Mira drops and have used those a few times. Like Bill said, those filter pumps can be a pain. I think a filter is worth it if you think you're going to be getting water from some standing water source like a lake or a pond. If you're going to use running water as your source, the pen sounds like a good idea. I've seen them used and the process is pretty quick and painless.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:40 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have the hiker pro filter myself. No problems for me. Setup is not trivial, but not impossible. I'm pretty sure I don't keep the clean end and the dirty end quite as separate as I should, but I haven't gotten sick either, and it is really nice to get cold water on a hot day.

I usually carry it when I plan to get water - like at a mid-way point, or after a bunch of the ascent is done (like the spring on Carter Dome.) It's "more" worth it the more bottles you have to fill. Yeah, there is a lot of pumping involved, but maybe I'm used to it from pumping up bicycle tires and I don't really think of it as effort. For moving water, you need to pick an eddy or pool or someplace where the water is a bit calmer.

Tim

Mon May 24, 2010 12:10 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I swear by my MSR waterworks, a lot heavier than some but they claim 100000Gal between filter changes and I think they are right. I'm well over 1000 gals and all I have done is wipe the filter cartridge off about every 25 gals in silty water. it attaches to the old nalgene bottles and MSR water bladders so yo don't spill and it works quickly. I have tried a few others that had selfcleaning systems or just gravity filtering and had lots of problems. My waterworks was the only filter out of 6 still working at the end of day 3 of a 7 day trip and it did everyones water for the last 4 days. Wieght is the only draw back.
RDL

Mon May 24, 2010 6:35 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I just got the Katydyn Hiker Pro myself and used it for the first time this past weekend. Works really slick and you can set up a quick change fitting to pump right into your bladder through the drinking hose. Trick is to figure out how much you've pumped and if the bladder is full or not (with the quick change fitting, the bladder is still oin your bag and its not easy to see how much is in it.

Mon May 24, 2010 7:36 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for the suggestions....Looks like the Katadyn is quite popular. I dont currently use the Aquamira drops, but was just looking at them online. Many reviews describing trailside horror involving the chemicals leaking out of the bottles and destroying gear.... :shock:

Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey Marc - how many liters of unfiltered/untreated water do you drink per year in the northeast? :shock:

Tim

Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

filter
I used the hiker pro on my last 3day trip. It's easy to use, it never took more than a couple of minutes to fill me 2liter bladder through the drinking line.

It's easy to clean as well. I take the filter out and splash it around in a 1-2 liter solution of water and bleach (1-2 tablespoons). Then put the filter back in and pump the solution through it. Remove filter so it can dry and you're ready for your next trip. I imagine it will last me a good couple of years before I need to replace the filter.

I'ld recommend it. Keep in mind I've never used any of the other brands.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:26 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I've been carrying leaky bottles of Aquamira around with me for a year now, and for some reason decided to try it yesterday. I usually will drink any moving water untreated, but for some reason tried the aquamira. I followed the directions on the bottle, and I don't know what went wrong, but the water tasted like the pool water at the Y. Nasty. I'll keep it in my pack, but only use it if I need water from a pond or something.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I used to pump with an MSR pump but quickly tired of pumping, it is alot of work for little water. I have since changed to just treating my water with Iodine, although in most cases it isn't needed. My Dad always says "I remember when we just drank it if it was wet"

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

nice
I like the sounds of the mount katahdin pro thing. I think I may get it.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:15 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Another vote for the MSR line. Don't mind the pumping, easy to clean in the field, etc...

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]