Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Problem with Komperdell Polls 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Problem with Komperdell Polls
I have a pair of Komperdell Ultra Light C3 polls. I was out yesterday (using just one) and it felt a little long. I stopped to adjust it. It loosened up but would not tighten up again after adjusting the height. When I got home I tried the other one and had the same result, I can't tighten them back up. Being able to collapse and carry when not needed is why we have these poles, isn't it? I'm looking to get a new pair and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good set.
Thanks
Gary

Sun May 01, 2011 7:55 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I have a pair of Black Diamond poles that I don't use often, only on winter backpacking trips, but they have never failed me. Not sure of the model but if I can find it on them I'll let you know.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Treking Poles
I have both Leki Super Makalau's and regular Leki's without anti-shock and they both have internal twist locks that have never failed in 3 years of use. Leki also has lifetime warranty.

Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have Black Diamonds with it flick lock - basically an external clamping mechanism . I'll never willingly go back to the internal cam lock style, the flick lock has never slipped or failed on me. Cam style have done both ...

Not the same model, but pretty similar to these:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... kking-pole

Another thing I like about the BD's - the snow basket screws on, so far I havent lost one. The twist-and-lock baskets of a couple other poles are long lost.

Sun May 01, 2011 9:58 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I like the idea of a clip lock instead of the twist lock.
I found these at L.L.Bean:
Black Diamond
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59963?feat=504412-GN2
These look similar to what you're talking about scooter.
Leki
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63558?feat=504412-GN2
Thanks for the input everyone.
I guess I'll be flipping a coin :?

Sun May 01, 2011 6:44 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I have a pair of inexpensive ones from coleman bought at Target last year, have not had a problem yet

Sun May 01, 2011 6:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Gary wrote:
I like the idea of a clip lock instead of the twist lock.
I found these at L.L.Bean:
Black Diamond

These look pretty close to what I've been using for about a year or so. I had more than one pair of the inner-locking type, all fell apart and became unreliable at the most inoportune times.

I switched to the BDs and LOVE them. They were more expensive, but were definitely worth the extra $. Never had a problem - quick, easy, dependable. I've got a version w/shock absorbers and I've got to say they've saved a boatload of wear and tear on my knees.

Good luck.

Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
...I've got a version w/shock absorbers ...

I'm jealous!

When I bought my BDs a few years back I couldnt find any with shocks.

The first time I saw poles with shocks I thought it was a silly gimmick thing, but I wound up having to buy a pair (late season, nothing else left) and found they definitely reduce the impact on the wrists/arms/shoulders ...
they were twist/lock and have since been retired, but the next set of poles will have shocks :)

Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I hate to be a pain in the a$$ but it seems the more I found out, the more questions I have.
The Black Diamond poles boast about a 15 degree handle. Is this good? bad? Not worth worrying about?
I also heard somewhwere (I can't remember where) that shock absorbing poles were only good for descending, not for ascending or flat.
Sorry for making a mountain out of a mole hill but I have balance issues and will be relying on these to help me stay upright so I want to make sure I get the right ones.
Thanks for your patience.
Gary

Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Gary wrote:
I hate to be a pain in the a$$

Those who are tend to get more attn on this board. Don't be sorry.

Gary wrote:
The Black Diamond poles boast about a 15 degree handle. Is this good? bad? Not worth worrying about?

Don't know about this. I prefer the flexibility to hold them as I want (sometimes w/wrist strapped tighter than other times, sometimes gripping the pole itself or the top rather than side of "handle."

Gary wrote:
I also heard somewhwere (I can't remember where) that shock absorbing poles were only good for descending, not for ascending or flat.

Flat is sometimes good, and if you do screw something up, you'll sure be glad to have poles of any sort. I use them as much on the ascent as the descent. My partner, however, rarely uses them on the uphills. She's younger than me though - I give her a few more years. :wink:

Mon May 02, 2011 12:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Gary wrote:
I hate to be a pain in the a$$ but it seems the more I found out, the more questions I have.

Not at all :)

Quote:

Never tried the angled ones, I'm happy with the straight. The angle I'm at varies. And I use maybe a funny gripping style. Sometimes I use the poles for tarp support, straight seems likely better there.

Quote:
... that shock absorbing poles were only good for descending, not for ascending or flat.

mmm ... when I had shock poles I used to use them both ways, but more for descending. Going uphill I'm not looking to lose any power in the shocks. I need every little bit I can get :)
My old shock poles had a lockout mechanism, so I could just twist them the 'wrong' way and they'd be rigid.

I like my poles to have the extended foam down the handle too. Some poles dont have that. I don't grip the molded hand grip part, I put my hand thru the strap, and hold below the molded grip part. My fingers just guide the pole, I keep most of the weight on the heel part of my hand. Much more stable for me anyway. YMMV.

Image[/img]

Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Having lost two sets of these, I can't comment on their long-term reliability. Their ability to find their way home is sadly lacking, however.

I have had that problem from time to time. What fixed it for me was to either extend as much as possible (to the stop line) or completely collapse and keep twisting. Eventually they locked right up.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 am

scooter wrote:
I have Black Diamonds with it flick lock - basically an external clamping mechanism . I'll never willingly go back to the internal cam lock style, the flick lock has never slipped or failed on me. Cam style have done both ...

Not the same model, but pretty similar to these:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... kking-pole

Another thing I like about the BD's - the snow basket screws on, so far I havent lost one. The twist-and-lock baskets of a couple other poles are long lost.

I'll second the vote for the BD flintlocks. My old Komperdells would slip and I actually lost one of the sections because it slipped right out. Komperdell said they'd replace it for $15 plus $14 to ship. For $29 for a single section I bought the BD's.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:39 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Salty wrote:
I have had that problem from time to time. What fixed it for me was to either extend as much as possible (to the stop line) or completely collapse and keep twisting. Eventually they locked right up.

I tried this and it eventually locked up again...but all the way closed. When I turned it just enough to move the section to the right height, it wouldn't tighten up again. I ran out of patience before the pole would cooperate again.
I tried these out at a local sporting goods store and they felt great.
So I bit the bullet and bought them.
Thanks again everyone for all your input.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]