Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mummy vs. Traditional Sleeping bags. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Mummy vs. Traditional Sleeping bags.
Hey folks, so whats the advantage of a Mummy style sleeping bag over the traditional rectangular bag? Im looking to get one soon and am not sure which is the one I want.
Any advice?
Brian

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Hey Brian,
Hope all is well and unlike me you've had a chance to get out on the trails.

I'm not an expert, but I'll throw my .02 cents in. Not that it matters, I'm just hoping to boost my postings in order to see what the heck the next level is! :wink:

I have both a mummy style and rectangular. The rec. (which is a Coleman) is more for car camping or for the kids when they sleep over friends houses. I don't use one any longer for backpacking as I never seem to be able to keep warm.
The mummy styles appear to have better contruction and more versatile. They can go to lower temps while still staying reasonibly light.
I read Chris and Rob's review of the Wild Bill from Sierra Designs and purchased that one from Campmor ($80....and it was a great deal!). It compacts easily and fits inside an internal frame pack.
However, they make these with fiber or down so there's not as much cushion as the rec, so you really need to carry a pad for additional comfort(plus it helps insulate on cold trips).
If you can, I found REI to be very helpful about bags (and assume EMS will be the same), and I was able to get into a few before making the final decision on the SD.
Oh yeah, those rating systems are questionable. The SD says it's good to 15 or 25 but I doubt I would ever take it below freezing.
Check out a few of them for comfort and durability and how well they "fit" when you get in. In the end it's personal preference (but I do like the SD's.....the Cat's Meow would be my next choice).

Hope this helps and looking forward to hiking again soon,
Bill

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:47 am

Hey Bill!

First off, I think the next level is "Trail Dalai Lama" :D

Ok, mainly Im looking for a sleeping bag for campground sleeping in a tent (equipped with a stove.......yeah yeah, take all the shots at my manhood you want :wink: .) Not worried about a pad, gonna have a cot (yup, more shots at my manhood are ok :lol: .) So Im also not to worried about weather ratings either. I just wasnt exactly sure what the big advantage was with one over the other. But when I do decide to get a sleeping bag for backcountry camping (hey, cant sleep in them campground "canvas motels" forever, right) it looks like I want to get the mummy style? The more I think about my current situation I could probably make do with a cheapy Wal Mart Bag and spend the better money on the backcountry bag when the time comes.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. Have not hit the trail, per se, in a bit. Hunting season has come so Ive been pretty involved. BUT I have been exploring new places in this time. For instance, a little hidden gem for you all......Litchfield State Forest in Litchfield. Talk about Big Woods charm in a small package!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:48 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Brian - I've been looking for bags as well. Went to Campmors Yahoo site for mummy bags (when you are ready):

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campmor/sle ... -bags.html

and purchased a Kelty Tundra bag - another great Campmor deal! It's a very nice bag (good zipper - very important :wink: ) but have an older bag of the same rating that is actually a little warmer...or maybe I was wearing warmer clothes...or it was less windy last time I used the old bag. I like the new one though!

Enjoy your camping wherever & in whatever bag!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:19 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Mummy bags are much warmer as there is less cold air infiltration and more warm body heat around you. Can we please debate down vs. fill?!
I have both and the down lasts a lifetime 'cuz of loft. Even the US Army uses down in their -40* M1949 cold weather bag.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:45 pm

Hi Warchief,
For me, there is no debate, I have to go with fiber simply due to allergies.
I think the down is more comfortable, provides better insulation, and compacts better than any man-made stuff, but I can't use it for fear of a mad reaction.
The only "down" fall I've heard is that fiberfil or holofil or polargard insulates better when wet.
This doesn't sound like a test I want to take either especially seeing how cold it's been recently. Wet sleeping bags suck no matter what they're made from!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

New Hampshire wrote:
First off, I think the next level is "Trail Dalai Lama" :D

You're just going to have to be patient to find out... :)

As far as mummy vs. rectangular has always been the warmth factor. Rectangular bags just let more cold air in. One other point that was already made that I'd like to emphasize is to try a bag out before buying. Buy wherever you want, but go to EMS or Kittery Trading Post or some other large-ish retailer and actually get into the bag you think you want. I assure you they are used to it! If they're not, go somewhere that is.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:55 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

In cold weather, the inside of one's tent would be soaked from condensation way more than a down bag. Having some to a little bit of perspiration using a bag night after night, why would a bag be wet unless one is sleeping in a stream bed?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]