Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 You Choose For Me!! 

Which boot should I buy?
Poll ended at Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm
Merrell Perimeter GTX  63%  [ 5 ]
Asolo Fugitive GTX  38%  [ 3 ]
Can't Go wrong with either  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

You Choose For Me!! 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

You Choose For Me!!
I'm in the process of buying some new boots, and I want YOU to choose what I buy. I'll give you some hints; I have a very normal foot, nothing particularly special about them, 10 1/2 to 11, and I almost never get blisters. I rarely backpack for more than a couple days, and I spend most of my time on the granite of NH. I value light weight, solid construction and a grippy sole. I've narrowed my choices down to two, but I'll leave the poll open for other choices. I'll keep this poll up for a few days (I want to break them in before the FOT48). Let the games begin!

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Just because I've heard good things about Asolo boots. Really dissappointed in my Vasque boots. No Grippy-ness but they can take a beating.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:01 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SilentCal wrote:
...Really dissappointed in my Vasque boots...

I'm replacing Vasques! I've had three pair, and I figure it's time to try something else.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:07 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I choose d) LL Bean Cresta hikers. :lol: They maybe tanks, but they have taken every bit of abuse I can throw at them and are still waterproof. I have over well over 500 miles on them (probably closer to 750, but I don't keep track so can't be positive). I am probably going to have to replace them soon simply because the soles are so worn. To say I love these things is an understatment.

Brian

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I'd go with the Merrel's jsut because they have Vibram soles. I have a pair of Asolo FSN 95's, that I have been using for about a year now, and the soles (non-vibram) are almost destroyed. Very good grip on them for a while, but not so much now that they are worn down. The uppers are still good, but I will have to replace them after this season due to the soles.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I'm with Brian ... my LL Beans are fantastic.

(Hmmm, now you've reminded me that I meant to give them a good cleaning ... got pretty nasty from my last wet hike.)

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:16 pm

don wrote:
I'm with Brian ... my LL Beans are fantastic.

(Hmmm, now you've reminded me that I meant to give them a good cleaning ... got pretty nasty from my last wet hike.)

Heh heh, mine are no longer cleanable! The dust from many a muddy hike are just now ingrained in there. :lol: I took a good chunk out of the edge of the sole where it comes up on the side of the bot with a crampon a couple years ago. But they are still waterproof as ever!

Brian

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Sorry no advice...i hike in north face hedgehogs or salomon trail runners. I will say go with vibram soles if possible.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My husband and I both bought Vasques when we first started hiking and they got wet our first time out! They also wore on my toe box very quickly. We hated them and ended up returning them as defective due to the Gortex leaking. We then both picked up Asolos. Russ still wears his Fugitive GTX's and loves them. With my Asolos (I forgot what the fancy style name was) the soles around the edge started to pull away from the boot and I had to go have them re-glued. Then recently I've had some major foot problems and found that I apparently got mis-fitted..or....my arches fell so much that in only 6 months time I have out grown my boots! Long story short I ended up having to buy a brand new pair. I liked the Asolo so much, even though I had that seperation problem, that I got another pair. This time I bought the Attiva GTX. I will wear them for the first time tomorrow. The nice thing with the Asolos is that there isn't a "break in" time. The only thing though is that the insoles suck so I'd suggest the Super Feet. Russ didn't complain too much about his until recently, but did notice a big difference with the Super Feet. Bottom line...The guy at the Boot section of EMS spoke very highly of the Asolos. They are in fact a nice rugged boot. I vote Asolo!

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:24 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Peesalot. wrote:
The nice thing with the Asolos is that there isn't a "break in" time.

Going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I read many a review that said there was no break in time, that they were good right out of the box, but mine needed a good 75 miles before they felt good, and even by then there was already noticeable wear on the soles. I do like my Asolo's, they feel great, I just would stay away from the ones without the Vibram soles.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I love my Merrells. I have 2 pair. One all leather uppers for the wet and muddy hikes which are bullet proof. The other are Gortex which I use for all other hikes. Very grippie soles and feel like sneakers. I had a pair of Asolo Fugitives and sold them after a year, no grip at all.

My Boots:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewPro ... leryId=M-F

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewPro ... leryId=M-F

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I am with Joe on the Merrell deal. My VERY first pair of Hiking boots was given to me as a x-mas present back in the 80's and I wore them up until 2004, when the soles were so worn out I couldn't bare to keep wearing them. My husband couldn't either and went out and bought me a pair of EMS boots, which I absolutely love and they are Vibram Soles and waterproof. But my vote is for the Merrell's they are the best. Happy Shopping!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I say "To hell with the boots!" They all suck. Crocks are the way to go!! Of course, this might not be ideal for winter. :lol:

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Looks like Merrell's are winning!! Hee hee! i was worried Asolo was going to win, now nobody come along and screw that vote up!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It looks like I can't go wrong either way, but the Merrells seem to have an edge. I'll leave this up through tomorrow, then I'm hitting EMS to make the purchase!

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next