Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Photography? 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Photography?
I noticed a few people have listed Photography in their profiles as an interest, and it got me thinking. I post a lot of pictures on Hike-NH.com because I think the visual aspect is what brings most people to hiking. But then I realized I know very little about how to take a good photo, especially in the mountains. If I do get a good one, it's usually lucky...

Anyone out there have advice on getting good pictures in the moutains? Do I need to worry about film speed, apature, f-stop and all that? Or should I just go with the point and shoot?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:56 am

MichaelJ from the Flags meeting is a photo-hound. Try and hook up during the Flags meeting and I'm sure he can give you some advice. I'm just a simple point and chick photographer. Usually I take spectacular pictures of half of my thumb and never seem to be able to get the camera straight. However at times I do take some good shots.

I'll never go back to convential cameras after I got my digital. I have a Kodak Easyshare 3.1 MP and It does the job for me.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Hey Chris,
One thing I have always found true....the photos never do the trip justice.
No matter what camera, angle, film or digital, or anything else, the experience just doesn't come through in the pictures.

I've used a couple of digital cameras and I do like the ease of uploading them to my computer and also to print them from my own printer.
In addition, the amount of memory is really a great feature. On the recent Sierra trip I brought a 512 MP card and was able to take almost 400 pictures at the best resolution on this one card.

I use a simple HP 3.1 MP camera. Easy to use features from the menu and it came with a photo printer as part of the package (under 200 bucks for the whole deal).
I'm not a camera nut or anything like that, but I do like to include a few photos with my trip reports.....
and I believe in the KISS theory...Keep It Simple Stupid. Meaning that it the camera is complicated, I'm done for.
SilentCal also has a great camera sugestion as the Kodak's have this great docking station feature....and you will never go back to film like he said.

The other very important thing for me is that I want to just point and shoot in any conditions, and these digital cameras have the speed, apature, f-stop, and all that other stuff automatically built in....so I don't need to know what the heck that stuff is or does. Even my flash goes on automatically when there isn't enough light.

You can pick up a decent digital camera for around 100-130 bucks just as a starter (3 MP is the lowest I'd go). Check Circuit City or Best Buy, or even Costco for a nice low end, easy to use, first time digital camera.

Please feel free to post or PM me if you have other questions. I am NOT an expert by any means, just a hiker that's looking for a reliable/fun camera that can record a few quality shots of my trips.
Hope this helps,
Bill

PS Does anyone else have problems using digital zoom? Once I get beyond 2X, my pictures look awful.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:06 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Pucknuts61 wrote:
PS Does anyone else have problems using digital zoom? Once I get beyond 2X, my pictures look awful.

I did find out why this is an issue. A digital zoom only increases the pixel size of the photo, so the more you zoom, the grainier the photo looks. The problem is that it can't get more detailed than the size of one pixel, so in order to zoom, the camera has to reproduce each pixel to make the picture bigger. As you increase in size, you increase the number of times the same pixel has to be reproduced, making the pic uglier. That's why it's so important to have a better optical zoom.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:52 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I have found this out over the years........I will take 10 pictures, and only a couple will really knock my socks off. A few are in the "2what the hell was that?" catagory, and the rest come out as "yup thats me standing there".......nice to add to the memory box, but nothing to write home about. I guess this is because Ive got an itchy shutter finger :D .
I dont really go crazy over f-stop this, shutter speed that. My moms digital camera makes things easy on that end, and my Pentax K1000 35mm SLR is all manual, so I get the workout there, but still do not get insane about things. Its a nice, hands on experience. Load up with some 400 or 800 speed film and start snapping.

So I guess the best advice is this....take lots of pictures. Sure they all are not going to be great, but when you get that "magic" one, it becomes all worth it.

Brian

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Thanks Everyone!

I turned off my digital zoom and went with just the optical zoom.

No more fuzzy yellow pictures!

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]