Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hiking Clothing Question 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hiking Clothing Question
Any thoughts on comfortable hiking clothing for women? I like my boots okay, but I can't find a comfy sports bra to save myself, or decent shorts that don't bunch up under my pack. And I love my Thorlo socks--but dang they're expensive. Any suggestions for a lower cost, yet lightly padded sock?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:30 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Hiking Clothing Question
PamelaAnn wrote:
... but I can't find a comfy sports bra to save myself, or decent shorts that don't bunch up ...

Hey, I thought we were keeping this forum all PG rated!

:shock:

:wink:

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:37 pm

Can't help you on sports bras ( I'll wait until Grace comes home and ask her) but for socks I can help you. Hiking socks I've always found to be expensive but I'd rather pay a little extra for the comfort then have my feet kill me for miles due to lousy socks. I use Wigwam Merino wool socks most of the time and have only had one blister in seven years of doing so. As for your shorts bunching up, I sometimes wear those lycra bike shorts.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:08 am

I'm a Thorlo person too, but mainly because I'm allergic to wool. Generally I pay 10-12 bucks for a pair, which is about the average for any decent sock. Check Campmor, the usually have the 3's (the heavy weights) for about $11.
I also picked up a lightweight 2-pair pack at EMS for 14-15. It was the EMS brand but I found them to be pretty good so far. And, I wear a poly pro liner sock too that helps prevent blisters.
As far as under-clothing (staying PC and PG-13 here), I have tried Terramar with a little bit of Lycra. They don't bunch up as they're not loose fitting, kinda like bicycle shorts but with a comfortable and lighter material. Hopefully some other women can chime in on the top.
Shorts - I sometimes wear a bathing suit type style short. The material can bunch up a little but I find the speed of drying and the "airy" comfort a small price to pay. It's one of those things where the good outweighs the bad. Maybe a heavier material would help.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:47 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

EMS Rocks
Okay ladies...i think I found a sports bra thats actually comfortable. EMS makes a Seamless bra (Price: $30.00)...and I love it. Its so comfy that I forget i'm wearing it. Now that being said, I'm not anything more then average (eg. a 36B-C). So this may not be the best bra for you more lucky ladies. As for hiking clothes ..I have the same problem w/the shorts riding up. However, ems did make a capri convertable pant this year that are very comfortable and good for wearing around campsite. Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:21 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Great info everyone! Thanks for your help. I'll be checking out the EMS Sports Bra soon, as well as the socks. Thank you!

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]