Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Valley away tentsite and Mt. Adams as on overnight 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Valley away tentsite and Mt. Adams as on overnight
Hello everyone,

Was considering doing Mt. Adams as an overnight backpack with my daughter this Sunday into Monday since she has no school. My questions are what are the chances of securing on of the tent pad sites Sunday afternoon say between 2-4pm. Are there more than two sites or any overflow or nearby stealth sites in case they are full? I'm thinking we should be ok since Monday is not a holiday and most overnights will be on Saturday. Since they have renovated the site, how is it in terms of being a nice place to spend the night?

Valley way seems like a fairly moderate grade for my daughter and only a 3 mile hike, plan would be to get an early start and Summit Adams without our heavy packs, return to camp and head back down and reach Jeep by late afternoon Monday.

Thoughts or alternate trip suggestions? Thanks

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: Valley away tentsite and Mt. Adams as on overnight
Welcome Kdog!

Valley Way is probably the most traveled route to get both Madison and Adams. If it's just Adams then you do have options. Valley Way tent site does not have platforms, there are just some designated areas to set up a tent and there is a compost toilet. Not a lot of people use the site though. From there the best option is taking Upper Bruin to Adams. It may be 3 miles to the site but with full packs it's not as easy as it may seem.
Another option is staying at the Perch which is a platform site run by the RMC. There are 5-6 platforms, a compost toilet, and a great spring for water. I'm not sure if the caretaker is still there this time of year so take a few extra bucks just in case you have to pay the fee, Go for the top platform, it has the best views for sunsets.
Good luck and I think that this time of year you can expect a lot of foot traffic from the foliage crowds

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 am

Here's some info on RMC sites in the area

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/she ... lters.html

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you, unfortunately the Perch will be closed for repairs for about a week. I actually prefer regular tentsites as opposed to the wooden platforms as I've never set up and guard out my tent before on the platforms, I'm imagining it's a bit more involved. My main concern was just if there were any other fallback options if the two or three tentsites were full.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm

The western side of the Pressies doesn't provide a lot of flat areas and I honestly don't now of any other areas to camp in until you get close to the hut, but then LNT rules apply and you're not suppose to camp above timberline except in winter, and then not near the hut etc
But the Valley Way tent site doesn't see a lot of activity so I think you'll be fine and there is a small water source there too

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks everyone, still waiting till last minute on whether we are going, helpful information!

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]