Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 I'm not dead - let's talk about Wild River Wilderness 
Master Mountaineer

I'm not dead - let's talk about Wild River Wilderness
Hi all,
I read somewhere on here that the board was dead. I hope not.
Sorry for my hiatus, but having twins is a surefire way to end your social life.
I don't think I've slept more than 4 hours since January.

That said, it's with great anticipation and excitement that I get to plan my 5th annual backpacking trip. My two hiking buddies and I have kayak-camped along the CT, spent a weekend at RedRock, did a great trip to Norcross Pond, and last year was Glacier. With kids in the mix this year, we've had to pair down the epic trip to a 3 day long weekend, but hey, whatever works.

This year, there are two possibilities on the agenda:
1. Exploring the Dry River Wilderness. From what I've read, it seems that camping options abound within this wilderness, and you have back-door access to Clinton, Ike, Isolation, and Monroe (though I can't find ONE report about someone successfully following the Dry River trail to its end).
2. The Baldfaces have been on my list for very long time. Given the amount of camping options in the Wild River area, this may be a good option for a 3 day. I'm curious though if anyone is aware of stealth camping options near Eastman Mountain. I was thinking about going in via Slippery Brook from the South, but the closest established shelter is the South Baldface Shelter. I don't think that would be a good choice because we'd have to drop down the ledges with packs. Going up and over the Baldfaces on day 1 might be too much for my group, but I'm open to suggestions for those who have done it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: I'm not dead - let's talk about Wild River Wilderness
I'm not dead either, neat! I'm just not logging on or posting, even on my neglected blog...

As for following the Dry River Trail to its end, I did it a few summers ago, and it was not an issue, though I suspect the "reroutes" have fallen into decay already as they were shoddily done. Plenty of camping options as you say; there is the Dry River Shelter #3, which was in great shape 2 years ago, and many designated tent sites (the little wooden tent sign along the trail). The Mt. Clinton Trail up to Mizpah Hut is challenging to follow in many places along its lower 2/3, unless they finally did some work on it recently (I doubt it...). That said, I suspect it would be easier following it upwards (as I did later in 2015), than downward. Mt. Eisenhower Trail was fine.

I would not go down the Baldface ledges, certainly not with a full pack. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't advise it... I don't know one way or the other about stealth sites, but it wouldn't surprise me if some existed.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm
Master Mountaineer

Thanks Matt. I went back and found your report.
Looks like a great trip, especially the climb up Oakes Gulf.

That whole area looks great.

What's funny is that I always see pix of Dry River Shelter #3, followed by "would be a great place to spend the night." I don't think I've ever read a report about anyone actually staying there. Regardless, this looks like it would be an awesome trip.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I can answer the stealth camping question. I stayed here once. The particular spot suited me but can't remember if it was bib enough for a large group. I made the fire ring and dismantled it when I left so don't be looking for that should go that route. But the woods are open enough all around there so shouldn't be tough finding a spot.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:
What's funny is that I always see pix of Dry River Shelter #3, followed by "would be a great place to spend the night." I don't think I've ever read a report about anyone actually staying there. Regardless, this looks like it would be an awesome trip.

People definitely do stay there, just not anyone I can think of that I know off-hand ;) When Chris and I did the September trip, we ran into a couple dozen people heading in to stay at the various campsites and the shelter (it was Labor Day weekend mind you). The shelter is about 100ft from the river, so easy water access. Some tentsites nearby too.

Looks like Joe has you covered on Eastman. That topo suggests lots of easy options.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Glad to see all these familiar names! Eventually I'd like to get back there, since we do hope to redline someday.

Jamie - Best of luck! My grandmother was a twin and had twins, no one's been hit since (although one doctor thought there may have been two Premas! :shock: ).

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]