Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Willey-Field-Tom 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Willey-Field-Tom
I was thinking about doing Willey-Field-Tom (for the first time) this Saturday, but the weather won't be great (rain predicted most of the day, thunderstorms possible). I don't mind being uncomfortable, but of course I don't want to be unsafe. It doesn't look like any of the trip is above the treeline, and I am tempted to still make the trip, but I am looking for a sanity check. What do you think, terrible idea, or should I be fine as long as I dress appropriately for the weather?

Thanks!

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Willey-Field-Tom
Definitely nothing above treeline and pretty well sheltered the whole way. It's also not a trip known for having spectacular views (although there are a couple nice spots), so IMO it's not a bad choice for a bad weather trip.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

As said, there is nothing particularly above treeline, though the very summit of Tom is chest-high scrub, Field has a clearing, and there are a few other semi-open spots here and there (all brief). For just rain, they are a perfectly fine set of peaks, but personally I don't go on ridges of any sort if thunderstorms are likely (note "likely". A small chance is a different discussion, though likely sounds to be more the case for Saturday at the moment). There are higher peaks in the area, but all are at least a couple miles away, and lightning does like to go for the high points. Just be ready to bail and get to safe spots away from your aluminum backpack, poles, etc if necessary.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

And depending on the amount of rain on hike day and the preceeding day or two, be wary of the hike up Willey on the ladders. Could be slick and the rocks get rather unfriendly. Easy enough if you ascend Field via AZ and Avalon and then scoot over to Willey - making sure to go about 3 mins beyond the high point to the overlook where you can often get some cool undercast views. Back track to Field and continune on to Tom then down AZ. This is with a car parked at or near the depot.

The brook coming down AZ from Tom can be a magical place in the misty rain.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]