Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Day Hike Suggestions for Apr 23 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Day Hike Suggestions for Apr 23
Hello,

I am visiting NH for the first time this coming week from Las Vegas, NV. I was wondering if there were any good hikes available this time of year (I read it can be muddy on many trails). I am looking for anywhere from 4-10 miles round trip, no ice gear required. I am staying in Amherst, NH but willing to drive a couple hours.

I was hoping to get up to the Whites, but if there are better hikes elsewhere it's not a big deal.

Any recommendations?

TIA,
Jeff

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Day Hike Suggestions for Apr 23
Hey Jeff. Right now we have unusual conditions in much of the Whites with ice floes and ice covered trails on almost all the 4K hikes. At least microspikes are, IMHO, necessary. Check out trailsnh.com and click on 52WAV to see current trip reports. See if there's something there that looks good.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:54 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Thegibba and I had a great hike on Cardigan Thursday. One of us should get a report up soon. One icy spot on the Manning trail that required crampons for 40 vertical feet right below the open stretch to the summit, but the rest was iced out or small sections you could get around the edges of and you could use the other trails to avoid the big one. It's not quite in the Whites, but close, and has great views of them and using the Vistamont/Skyland/Clark trails you can make a great loop of the size you requested of Orange and Cardigan, with an optional excursion out and back to Firescrew if you feel like it. Check trail conditions for Welch/Dickey too. Another great hike that should be mostly iced out. It's usually an early melter but I can't say for certain this year.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm gonna guess being from Vegas he doesn't know where to check conditions. 8) 8) 8)

That being said, I was also thinking Welch-Dickey, here's the latest:
http://trailsnh.com/URL/75871

It's possible with the warm weather since then, maybe you won't end up on your backside. :-)

But what GG said, it's been a weird winter, resulting in a lot of ice.

From what everyone else says. Being stuck at low elevation. :D

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pine Mountain (Horton Center) was not bad at all today (well, yesterday, seeing it's past midnight). We went from the Gorham side (off Promenade Road) which is longer than the Pinkham B road. There were a few small patches of ice, which can be easily avoided. The Horton Center is a rustic retreat/camp area owned by the United Church of Christ (Congregational), they don't mind hikers using the trails on top near their buildings. Lots of beautiful views. at least a 2 1/2 hour ride from Lawrence, MA, so probably a little shorter for you.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:21 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you all. I got in yesterday and on a whim decided to drive up and see if I could do the Clark trail on Cardigan Mountain. I didn't do much research on the trailhead and the "Hiking Project" app had me taking a different route to the trailhead, routing me somewhere off the 4 near Grafton/Danbury. Since I didn't have cell reception and no offline maps, I decided to turn around before I got lost.

I'll try again this weekend and use the trailhead directions I found on every other site. I downloaded the area to offline google maps so hopefully I'll make it on next attempt!

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:42 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

BikeMaven2015 wrote:
Thank you all. I got in yesterday and on a whim decided to drive up and see if I could do the Clark trail on Cardigan Mountain. I didn't do much research on the trailhead and the "Hiking Project" app had me taking a different route to the trailhead, routing me somewhere off the 4 near Grafton/Danbury. Since I didn't have cell reception and no offline maps, I decided to turn around before I got lost.

I'll try again this weekend and use the trailhead directions I found on every other site. I downloaded the area to offline google maps so hopefully I'll make it on next attempt!

Don't get discouraged in trying to find Cardigan. Even for those of us who live in NH, it's not easy to find. The road gets rather rough this time of year to boot. Eventually, the road will simply end, and the Cardigan Lodge will be on your right - you're there!

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:12 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I had to check, re check, and turn around one to triple check where I was going. When you do hit the back roads you'll see 2 or three signs pointing out the correct way. And then, as Kevin said the road will end at the lodge. It was a bit muddy but should dry quick. Splatter car muddy, not call a tow truck muddy. The caretaker said it had been closed for a few weeks while the mud dried but is fine for cars now. He did have to leave to get the food delivery up the road as the 18 wheeler would have destroyed it. But cars will have no issues.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thought I would follow up and say thanks for the suggestions, I did get out on Mt Cardigan and it was great.

Once I followed the directions to the trailhead I found on hiking sites instead of Google Maps, it was easy to find.

I did Manning > Mowglis > Mt Cardigan Summit > Clark > Holt-Clark Cutoff > Holt and it was a great route. My first time on a trail with blazes (I am from the west coast), it was easy to follow. Two or three small sections of ice near the top, but easy enough to get around.

Beautiful country, I wish the trees had been leafed out. I'll definitely have to come back!

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]