Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Horton Center "Rehab" 
Sovereign Woodsman

Horton Center "Rehab"
Yesterday I read that Pine Mountain/Pulpit Rock is ice free. The poster barebooted and had no trouble. So you know what I was thinking..

Physical therapy is going well, my pain level (they grade 1-10) is 0-1 and the pain is from standing around at work. Walking, climbing up and down stairs is good. They didn't see any problem with a short hike this coming Sunday.

I was thinking of this place because of the ice-free report and from videos (thanks, C and C!) and photos of the trails it looked good. I could even stick to the road if need be. My concern is more for the wheels than the knee :lol: :lol: :lol: , but the guy who posted drove there in his Camry and had no problems (I have a Corolla). Any thoughts? Or better suggestions? Thanks!

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Horton Center "Rehab"
There's a section where you have some hand-over-foot ledgy climbing. Not too much, but might be tricky.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:48 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I don't know if they're better suggestions or just different but if you don't mind leaving NH the coast of Maine is ice free if that's what you're after. Camden Hills state park isn't much farther (10 minutes) away than Pine Mountain. There's a lot of nice mellow ice free hiking to be had there. Highest point on the mainland of the eastern US in Megunticook is a fairly easy hike with great views from Ocean Lookout. The tower on Mt. Battie. Maidens Cliff. Some combination of them even. I know almost nobody but me ever likes to drive to Maine but it seems like it would work well for you right now. Good luck getting back on the trails wherever you end up.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks, both of you! And I don't think southern Maine is a bad ride. Now that last stretch of the pike before you get to Millanocket is another story :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Well if you do decide to go the only trail I can think of in the park that would require a little scramble is #15 on this map. One short scrambly ledge but most likely you'd need your arm to bear some weight one way or another.
http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/docs/fpl/camdentrails.pdf

One of a few trip reports I have on the place if interested. If you look at the pics linked the scramble is pic# 4.
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6789

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

We're back!!!!! We did it from the Gorham side, which is longer mileage wise. However, what little time we spent on Pine Mountain Road, it seemed to be that the other side is a more gentle approach. That one scrambly section Kathy mentioned was a descent, since we were coming in from the other side. No problems with the knee at all. Thanks for your comments and thanks to the ladies at physical therapy!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

WOOT! WOOT! Bring on the Presis! :)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]