Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Summer hiking (having a blast) 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Summer hiking (having a blast)
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new here to NH, and to the US. Well I'm here 7 years but only in NH 4. I found a few fun hikes when I first came here (the Norcross pond was my fave) but then life got busy and now I'm back looking for help to find some new adventures.

A little about me, I'm 35 and I used to love hiking back home in Ireland, especially bivvying.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for any hikes with an overnight camp that I could do this summer. Liek I said I did the Norcross 3 years ago and I loved that but just looking for another fun place. I live in Manchester, but of course willing to travel.

Thanks so much in advance.

Ian

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Summer hiking (having a blast)
Welcome to the boards Ian. You might luck out with Spencer who lives close to you....he might be looking for someone to share some miles with if you're looking for company.

I would say there are a plethora of hikes that can be overnights. What are you looking at for mileage? One overnight? Two? What is your transportation - would you prefer a loop or an out and back? Road walks work for you?

You might try some of the shelter sites. There is Nauman on Pierce and Guyot on, well, Guyot. Valley Way has a tent site area that would serve as a base for Madison and/or Adams. There's others not on 4Ks that other folks on this forum know better than I. A lot depends on your gear, and the answers to the questions above.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:37 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yes, welcome to the forums. As Kathy said there are a lot of different places we can all reccomend depending on what types of hikes you enjoy. Quiet woods away from crowds like Norcross? Getting some hiking chatter in with the masses on the 48 and Chocorua like hikes. Rocky scrambling? Quieter wilderness? So much variety in NH it's hard to give a good recommendation without knowing that, but this is a very friendly crowd that'll be happy to help if we can.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hi Kathy and Spencer.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Well for gear I have a nice solid backpack and tent. I don't do any rock or ice climbing as yet but may look into it! Distance wise anythign under 15 miles in a single overnight is always good for relaxing.

Hikes I've always enjoyed in the past are the more quiet, away from it all kinds. Both forrest and open spaces. For transport I have a car and a sports motorbike.

I'm really looking forward to exploring more!

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 am
Sovereign Woodsman

imurphy80 wrote:
Hi Kathy and Spencer.

HA HA. He called you Spencer. He fits right in already!

Ian....Granite Guy is NOT Spencer. GG is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY older. :lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Somebody called me...? :lol:

I would be Spencer. Welcome to the forum!

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiker0200 wrote:
Somebody called me...? :lol:

I would be Spencer. Welcome to the forum!

8)

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 pm

I've been called way worse things than Spencer. But yes, I am almost twice his age. :( I'll also respond to Captain, Admiral, Ambassador... among other things. :wink: Or even just Derek works, but nobody ever calls me that.

If you're after solitude you'll have to avoid most of the 4K's on weekends and holidays. There are many shelters and tentsites out there. All are nicely marked on the AMC maps if you have them, and if you don't, you should. Spots like Ethan Pond, the Great Gulf, Black, Unknown and Flat Mountain Ponds immediately come to mind. And in general the Sandwich and Evans Notch areas would work well. The wilderness trails are also sound like what you'd be after in the Whites. Closer to home check out the two shelters on the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway. Out of NH on your side of the state Vermont has a lot of great hiking and backcountry shelters and way smaller crowds for the most part.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hi Ian, Welcome to the forum! Evans Notch, which Granite Guy suggested, is a beautiful place and definitely worth the drive. There is a variety of terrain and scenery. And parts of it are relatively off-limit in the winter because Maine closes 113 (this area is on the ME/NH border). Get a map and take a good look at this area and the Wild River Wilderness. You will see areas that have shelters and tent sites. Some of the trails are super popular, but there are others that go way in that would probably offer more solitude. I know we'd (my daughter Prema and I) like to go in and do a huge loop over a few days there. Probably more people will pipe up n the next few days and offer more suggestions.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:34 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Ian - I just send you a PM about a great camping spot recommended to me by JustJoe near Thoreau Falls.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:13 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hi guys,

Again, thank you for all the info. I'm definately going to try most ig not all of these this summer! :)

Is there ever a group of you that go out on these kind of things. Woul dbe a lot of fun!

Cheers

Ian

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:58 pm

I would be all for a group day-hike sometime, but I don't think most here go backpacking very often. Definitely not as a regular group activity.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
I would be all for a group day-hike sometime, but I don't think most here go backpacking very often. Definitely not as a regular group activity.

Well, the spot in TPBM thread I posted could handle at least the max. of 10 in the wilderness.
With no more impact than what's there now. :wink:

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]