Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Which Boob? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Which Boob?
Weather is looking decent for Thursday (xmas eve), and since I'm not working, I want to take advantage of the weather and get outdoors. However, I'll be accompanied by some little and inexperienced legs. I'm gonna have my daughters for the holidays, ages 9, 6, and 4. They're not very experienced but they have made it up Pack Monadnock. The older two have done it a couple of times, and the younger one once, though she did have to be carried the last half of the descent. We'll also be joined by my brother and sister, their spouses, and they are each bringing one single-digit aged kid as well.

I've identified The Uncanoonucs as a target. Criteria include: Proximity to Milford NH, Under 2hrs (with kids), some payoff in the views department, and rocky areas that would be considered "scrambles" if you were only 2 feet tall.

It looks like either mountain would fit the criteria, however, which would the group recommend? It looks like South U has better views of Manchester, which the kids will definitely dig, but it seems significantly steeper and a bit of a longer hike than North U. Plus, it hasn't been easy to cultivate any kind of interest in the outdoors with these girls. But I'm working on it, and I'm worried that a summit full of towers and generators might set me back a bit.

The North U seems like it would be shorter/easier, with a more outdoors-y feel. However, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of ledges/viewpoints like there is on the other side.

Keeping all that in mind, can anyone suggest a route?

Trip reports and google searches seem to be split 50/50 in their recommendations.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Which Boob?
Haven't been, so I can't tell you.... but I just wanted to compliment you on a GREAT title :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have fun!

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

North is preferable, IMO. If you go up the snowmobile trail/class 6 road, near Uncanoonuc Mountain Perennials, it's a very short/easy hike (blue is easier than red). If you go up the White Dot Trail from down lower on Mountain Road, it's a little harder. There are decent views from the top of Manchester.

To be fair, I have hiked/snowshoed up North only. I have ridden up South on my bike many times, and all I have ever seen is the towers. There could be views from some of the hiking trails.

I'd check out http://www.svlt.org/Trails/Default.asp for a bunch of additional local options. Purgatory Falls has some scrambles and other fun things (glacial potholes, waterfalls, etc.) although it does not have any "views".

Tim

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm no help, but I'll admit I clicked.

I thought it was going to be help identifying a hike-nh poster though, and was just hoping it wasn't going to be me. "Semantic domain" and all.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:13 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'm probably late to the party here but if you or anyone else is still looking the Summit Trail is a nice outdoorsy hiking trail until the summit towers. The best view of Manchester is on the Walker Trail a few hundred feet from the junction with the Incline trail. You can either go back down the Incline or take the Walker back past another nice view and some old fallen down cottages and then down the Summit Trail again. Those are the trails I e used with my kids (4 & 6) at the time a couple years ago. Makes a nice little trip. The view of Manch is great but the kids liked the old houses just off trail more I think.

Walker Trails viewpoint...
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=8002

North as you mentioned is a little "wilder" but is lacking in the views and points of interest department.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]