Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Which way would you go? 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Which way would you go?
I have a friend wanting to hit North Twin, and Galehead, utilizing the Hut. He is wondering if
he should go in by North Twin Trail, or Gale River Trail, Pros & cons for each...thanks,

Then his next question is how strenuous is it to go from the Galehead hut to Bond Cliff?
He is a very fit hiker.

thanks in advance

Terry

Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:55 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Which way would you go?
North Twin has a big river crossing that used to have a log. It no longer does but I haven't been there since and I'm not positive you can bypass it if the water is high. Gale River has a few minor crossings but you can definitely bypass those. N. Twin has no views until almost at the summit. Gale River has one minor one. Neither trail excites me. The best thing about going in on N. Twin is going over South Twin (one of my favorite tops). If he went in on GR getting to the twins from the hut it Is a very steep 1000 foot climb up South Twin and then down to North and then you have to come back. I think the best plan might be to hike in on N. Twin, over South and to the hut. Then Galehead from the hut and exit over the Twins again. A fit hiker really shouldn't have a problem with it, especially after recharging for a night at the hut. I also believe there's a bushwhack that can connect the two trails but haven't used it myself. That would probably be best if possible. Some of the 4K junkies will know more about that than me. :D

The hardest part from Galehead to BC is the 1000 feet from the hut up South Twin in half a mile or whatever it is. After that it's really a nice easy stroll to Bondcliff. So scenic you'll hardly even notice you're hiking. Reclimbing Bond on the return might not be much fun but it's doable. Of course if he can do a car spot at Lincoln Woods and exit that way it's literally just a long walk in the woods. Get dropped off at Gale River, hike to hut and Galehead. Next day Twins, Guyots, Bonds, exit stage left. Fit hiker can swing that easy enough.

Last edited by Granite Guy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks GG, that helps tremendously!

Terry

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

There is no real shortcut between Gale River Road and Haystack Road that I know of. There are some snomo corridors and such, but they don't save all that much distance as they skirt around the ends of the ridges coming off North Twin.

If using the hut, I would do the out-and-back from Gale River. I would normally say the opposite, but that 3rd crossing on Little River (which you have to do at some point, the trailhead is on the opposite side of the river from the summit) is a bit of an issue now with the giant log washed away, and the Gale River Trail crossings are minor now since the reroute bypassed the worst. Granted, I haven't been through the NTT since the log washed out in Spring 2014. The last non-snow visit through there (FOT48 2012) it was rock-hoppable as the water was low, but I've seen that crossing really humming and wouldn't want to go near it (with the big log, even in high water it was doable). Right now, it is probably not an issue. After 3/4" rain coming Friday, it might be an issue early this weekend, it might not :?

Another option if we are talking a pretty fit hiker, and assuming an overnight at Galehead Hut, only one car. Half-Pemi Loop from Lincoln Woods. Day 1, up Franconia Brook Trail and Twin Brook Trail to the hut, hit Galehead in the afternoon. Day 2, up South Twin, out-and-back to North Twin, exit via the Bonds. Day 2 is long, but not actually that much climbing after the initial climb from the hut (which is a pretty nasty but certainly doable 1100 feet in 0.8mi or something silly like that). Pretty decent footing for most of the route too, just a few notable spots (South Twin climb, short bit on Guyot, initial descent of Bond to Bondcliff). This does however mean doing the Lincoln Woods Trail twice ;) I did the reverse of this loop back in May (day 2 was supposed to finish the Pemi Loop but it rained all day). Some "interesting" crossings on Franconia Brook Trail, but nothing insane if the water isn't high. http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/2015/07/semi-pemi-loop-may-30-31-2015.html

Edit: OK, re-reading GG's suggestion, by alternate option is essentially the same, but only needs one car. Similar difficulty, more (easy) mileage via my route. Either one would work.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:34 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

And after reading Matts suggestion that half Pemi would be good with just one car and no ride.

I will also defer to his no-go on the bushwhack. I thought I'd read about it multiple times having something to do with cross country ski trails and a little road waking but he knows way more about the NH4K routes than I.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I will also defer to his no-go on the bushwhack. I thought I'd read about it multiple times having something to do with cross country ski trails and a little road waking but he knows way more about the NH4K routes than I.

Ah, I think you might be thinking of from Gale River Trail's trailhead to the Beaver Brook parking lot, which is used in winter since Gale River Road is closed then. That route does indeed exist and is easy. Brief walk down Gale River Road, bang a right into the first campsite after making the left at the road split, follow the XC ski trail behind the campsite back to Route 3.

I vaguely remembered Chris Dailey following a route between Haystack and Gale River Roads a few years back. Looks like he did it only 7 months ago :roll: As it was winter, he just followed the snomos. Not sure what that route looks like this time of year. http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/2015/03/north-twin-south-twin-and-galehead-loop.html

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

O.K. Here's a few thoughts from slow, short, and middle aged.....

We did that loop this summer, only we did it as a 3 nighter. Spent the first night at 13 Falls, a relatively short and not too difficult trip up to the hut. That was our luxury night. As everyone else has mentioned here, the only difficult part of GH to BC is the steep .8 up to South Twin. And if I did not think it was the worst thing in the world, I think your friend would be good.

Now here's where it gets interesting (and when I get Prema's photos downloaded and figure everything out, there will be a rather late trip report!). It SHOULD be a beautiful walk in the woods, followed by magnificent scenery and not difficult at all. Tell your friend to listen to the weather report at the hut and pay close attention to wind velocity. I figured we would head to the Bonds and either stay at Guyot (long walk out the next day) or find a spot along BC trail. That morning, they said there would be high winds and maybe even a wind chill factor at Guyot. Not interested in that! So I pressed on, never stopping to think that if it's breezy at Guyot, it will probably be worse between Bond and Bondcliff. And it was! But if the weather cooperates, I think your friend could make the trip to the Bonds from Galehead with no difficulty. The loop may not be such a bad idea.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:39 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Just as a follow up. My friend made it to the hut by GRT, went up South Twin and North Twin. Back to the hut, then up Galehead And back to the hut. He's staying at the hut tonight. With the rain coming,
He decided to just head out in the morning, and leave the Bonds for another day.
Thanks again for the info

Beckie, glad to hear slow and middle age made it no problem, means there's hope for me!

Terry

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]