Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Day hikes with views from the Kancamagus 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Day hikes with views from the Kancamagus
Looking for day hike suggestions from the Kancamagus with views.

thanks

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:32 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Day hikes with views from the Kancamagus
Depends how big of a hike you can do in a day. There are small, medium and large hikdes along the way, most with views of one sort or another.
3 miles for Boulder Loop. 4 miles for Potash. 5 for Hedgehog. 8 for Moats. 9 for Hancocks. 10 for Osceolas. 15 for Carrigain. 20 for Bonds. You get the idea.

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/trails/index.htm

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:06 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I'm a big fan of Hedgehog. It will give you a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to walk along the ledges and get views before the summit, hike the UNH Trail in a clockwise direction. If you want to summit first and take in the views on the way down, hike the UNH trail counterclockwise. Personally, I prefer the clockwise direction.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You could even get to Flume. Lincoln Woods trail, then Osseo. You'll go from the beautiful Kanc to having a view of Rt93 as it passes through Franconia Notch! All kidding aside (and my daughter is coming up with some long ones from the Kanc, like you can eventually get to other places, like the Tripyramids and Passaconaway :D ), the posts mentioned above are all great choices. Many "bang for your buck" hikes.

The Osceolas from Greeley Ponds Trail, when you want something longer, enjoy a few steeps and scrambles (the Chimney). If you arrive only to find fog has rolled in to ruin your views, Greeley Ponds (and East Pond) are scenic in a "woods and water" sense (good for rainy fall days).

If you take the Boulder Loop, there is a wooden box on a tree, with a log for you to leave your name and comments. It's a great 3 miles! Have fun and welcome to the forum.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you all for the great suggestions! It is so hard to choose just a few. Going to do Chocura on Saturday the 24th. Sunday I am considering Hancock or Osceolas. Which do you guys prefer for views? Monday I will do Hedghog and then drive home.

Thanks

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

beyoung95 wrote:
Sunday I am considering Hancock or Osceolas. Which do you guys prefer for views?

Osceolas, hands down. East doesn't have a view from the summit, but there is a viewpoint just below the summit (if coming from the Kanc side) and a nice view rock to the side of the trail on the way to the main Osceola peak. The main peak has a huge expansive ledge near the summit, lots of room to lounge and enjoy the views (if you care, the actual summit is just past it, off a spur trail to the right where you get a good view North towards the Pemi). If you like scrambling, there is a ~50' chimney in the col between the peaks that is fun to climb up for those that like those things. There is a bypass should you need/want it. The Hancocks have a couple limited view points by the summits and that's about it. Both options have a section of pretty stiff climbing (assuming Kanc side for the Osceolas), but perfectly manageable if you are in reasonable shape.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks Matt. The Osceolas sound great. Being in shape is not an issue for me, the hike will not be difficult.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Both of those hikes will pale in comparison to the views from Cho both of those hikes will pale in comparison to the views from Chocorua. That one will really spoil you in the views department. Osceolas main summit is the best viewpoint out of those others. South and Middlemon South and middle Moat are probably the next best thing on the Kanc. For a real treat drive to the Lincoln and and into Franconia Notch and hike The falling Waters/ Old bridlepath loop. About the same amount of effort required to hike the Osceolas but at the very tip top of the list for New Hampshire hikes with views.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have done the falling Waters/ Old bridlepath loop a few times. AWESOME! It has been a while since I have been on that loop and now you got me thinking of it again................. I have not done much south of the Kancamagus so I am trying to choose hikes in that area. If the weather is perfect I might just have to do the falling Waters/ Old bridlepath loop again.
I never realized that the Moats had great views, thanks for the tip.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 am

Yes the ridge from South to Middle is mostly all open or scrubby. You could also do both Potash and Hedgehog in one day since it sounds like you're in good hiking shape. Again about the same effort as the Osceolas but a lot more views.

Done the Flume Slide/Liberty Springs loop yet? Also awesome views from both summits.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:04 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks. I will eventually do all of these. The lower elevation hikes I will reserve for the days where the weather has obscured the higher peaks. This forum is awesome!

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]