Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Help me choose a ridge! 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Help me choose a ridge!
iagreewithjamie wrote:
BTW... which is the 52WAV: Eagle Crag, or Mt Meader?
The list names them both on one line.

Eagle Crag seems to be the consensus these days. Dingo probably knows the official stance. But Joe's link does clearly say it was "and" at one time. They should have dropped one of the overgrown ones then if they wanted both on the 52 :)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:34 am
Master Mountaineer

Well, the Baldfaces didn't happen, but its all the better. A couple of my friends have been dogging me to go on a hike this year, so I tested their availability, and they wanted to come on Monday. Since I was hiking with newbs, I opted for the Lafayette ridge instead of the Baldfaces.

It was the right call. I pick up my friends, and they're wearing sneakers and blue jeans. I didn't lie about the hike: ten miles, waterfalls, elevation, exposure. I told them to bring food and water and layers - they brought one liter of water.

Fortunately, I knew what to expect, so I brought food for everyone and extra water. It wound up being a good hike...

One thing that did impress me. We topped out on Little Haystack to 30mph hour winds. If I were by myself, I wouldn't have done the ridge... but my two unprepared friends said "PLan is to go over Lafayette and to the hut. Let's go!" SO off we went, and we had a blast. The trail stays just to the east of the ridge, so most of the time, the wind wasn't that bad... most of the time. A couple of times, a gust of wind moved me over a little... but nothing too horrible. Lafayette was in the clouds, but that didn't really detract from the experience.

So the Baldfaces will have to wait, and be there for me next time... perhaps when I'm not carrying supplies for three people.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

In a mild near-co-incidence (which I think officially counts as "nothing") I was nearly there yesterday as well -- actually would have been the bike spot trip that I think you mentioned in a thread a year or two ago that's always sounded like a good idea. But the cloudy/windy forecast kept me away.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2