Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Pemi Loop 
Sovereign Woodsman

Pemi Loop
And no, not in one day! You know me! I'm on vacation this week and the next. We had two enjoyable days on the Maine border (Meader report will be written soon). Now we are back because Prema is working today and Sunday. Tomorrow we will overnight somewhere for practice. And next week we will try this.

I am realistic. There is no way I could do this as a one day or even a two. In fact, while hiking the other day, I questioned my sanity for even thinking about this. But anyway, here are our tentative plans.

We will do this clockwise and probably take at least three nights. It will be a "luxury tour" at one point - Galehead. The question is, who thinks Beckie and Prema can make it from the Lincoln Woods parking lot to Galehead in one day (even if we start at midnight :lol: )? Yeah, I don't see any hands going up :lol: :lol: :lol: . So we will probably camp at Liberty Springs or Garfield. If we do the latter we have a long haul to it, if we do the former we will have along haul to Galehead (or will be having dinner at 11 and making nuisances of ourselves). After we leave Galehead, we will go to Guyot. If it still seems quite early in the day, maybe we will just head out to the car.

Rain plans - if we make the reservations and it rains those days, we will make it a modified loop and go up through one of the trails leaving from 13 Falls. Or maybe even turn it into a traverse from the Twins. We never did do the section between North and South Twin. So this would be a way of getting that portion, plus the section between South Twin and Guyot. Hopefully, the Powers That Be will let me have a fog free Bond/WBond this time. If the weather is bad we'll just go back down to 13 Falls and call it a day (or couple of days).

I must have my brains in the wrong place to even consider this :lol: . Although some of the best experiences of my life were preceded by me saying, "I must have my brains in the wrong place to consider this."

Ideas, suggestions? And my bear canister is itching to get out of the house!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Pemi Loop
No ideas or suggestions. You know your limits and you know what you're doing. So just encouragement: go for it. Don't sell yourself short, but be realistic and gentle with yourself at the same time.

Next week you say? Weather a bit iffy at this point so keep an eye on that.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! Maybe we'll do our "inner Pemi" so as not to be exposed.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

LinWood -> Garfield is a looong, hard day. I looked at it a while back for doing the (multi-day) loop, and it's something like 6500ft of elevation gain to get there, plus something like 15-16 miles. All with the "lovely" Garfield Ridge Trail at the end, and full packs. Liberty Springs isn't hard to get to, but like you said, it's a long haul from there to Galehead.

Have you considered the reverse? Get to Guyot day 1, and Galehead day 2. Both are pretty reasonable days, and the second one has very minimal elevation gain, so you can add North Twin if you like. Or camp at Garfield day 2 instead of the hut. From Galehead, it's a pretty long haul out over Franconia Ridge (shorter, but still not an insignificant day from Garfield), or you can head out through the valley, which is a nice, mostly easy hike too.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I was thinking the same thing as madmatt: Lincoln Woods to Garfield is long and tough. I don't think I'd want to do it. But if I could do it, I think I'd want to go to Guyot on day 2, which eliminates the option for a "luxurious" Galehead stay, but makes for an easy day 3. Lincoln Woods to Galehead would be out of the question for me. Last year, I did Lincoln Woods to Liberty Springs on day 1, to Guyot on day 2, and back to Lincoln Woods on day 3. Day 2 - Liberty Springs to Guyot - was tough. I don't know if there's a way to avoid one long hard day unless you add a third night.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I definitely expected to do three nights, especially after the last 24 hours I've had (a tale of caution for another thread). Not only that, but the weather is something to consider as well. It's one thing to be on Moosilauke or Hale when a storm arrives quicker than anticipated, but where do you go on Franconia Ridge to avoid getting fried? I don't know if I'd be fast enough to get to safety. We just looked at the weather for next week. There are a few sunny days midweek, but very hot. Which is why God made waterfalls :D . So now we're thinking of just going back to 13 Falls, which is relatively flat. Then we can go up to Galehead. How the hut figures into all of this is that Prema likes an occasional night of a bunk and home cookin' and Prema will be financing. She also likes their porch and is looking forward to seeing nightfall from it (the beautiful colors the sky and surrounding mountains take on at that hour). So depending on how long it would take to get to Galehead from LW, if we were to do it in a day then we could do a 2 day trip. We would go to Guyot the next day, stay over (see the West Bond sunset that I missed 2 years ago), and head out to LW the next day. And if the weather tanks, we'll just go out the way we came in.

By the way, remember last year GG had a big discussion about a one day loop? Are any of you going to do it? I'm not up to speed for something like that, I have enough of a challenge doing the Walk for Hunger (a 20 mile loop through the greater Boston area) each year :D .

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Final plans. 13 Falls tomorrow night, the hut Tuesday night, Guyot on Wed. Which is 2 years to the date of us sitting on West Bond in the fog, haha. This seems more sensible than the original plan. We'll come out Thursday and probably stay at a campground for a night or two, so you won't here from us 'til Sat. Thanks for all your input!

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:08 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Looks like I missed this whole thread while on vacation myself. Too late for what I think to matter so I'll just say good luck! Hopefully you get some redemption on the Bonds. And if you get caught on the Franconia Ridge in a fast approaching storm and no possibility of escape the best place to go from there is probably to your knees! :wink:

P.S. Flash flood warnings for the area. Good luck with the crossings. Turn around. Don't drown! :D

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We're off! NO Franconia Ridge! Up to 13 Falls today, tomorrow night at the hut. If it looks bad, then we'll skip Guyot/Bonds and come back down the way we came.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
if you get caught on the Franconia Ridge in a fast approaching storm and no possibility of escape the best place to go from there is probably to your knees! :wink:

P.S. Flash flood warnings for the area. Good luck with the crossings. Turn around. Don't drown! :D

HA HA HA. Good advice G-squared. 8) Be sure to get a tr up asap when you return.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Good luck! sounds like a great trip!

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
if you get caught on the Franconia Ridge in a fast approaching storm and no possibility of escape the best place to go from there is probably to your knees! :wink:

HA HA HA. Good advice G-squared. 8) Be sure to get a tr up asap when you return.

Hi Everybody! We didn't drown, but the cell phone did (99% of the time it is in a baggy, but this was 1%)! Details to follow!

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]