Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Fireworks from Afar 
Sovereign Woodsman

Fireworks from Afar
I have a two day weekend!!!!! Since Saturday is a workday for the USPS, we are not getting Friday off as our holiday. Which means, when we head up early Sat morning, the camps will probably be all filled up by people with normal jobs who arrived Friday.... Oh well.... Although one year on July 3 some one just up and left their Sugarloaf II site minutes before we arrived. Stranger things have happened....

But in case we end up back packing, we are looking for locations where we might be able to see fireworks. Yes, I know one does not camp above tree level. We would find a place, hike during the day and arrive at our viewpoint for the show, and then go back to the tent. One example would be if Nauman has an opening, we'd stay there and watch the Bretton Woods fireworks from the Crawford Path. Or if we can see anything from Cherry Mountain or the Sugarloafs we could go there as well.

One question about WMNF campgrounds. On the websites they say check in time is (I think) 2. But we've driven in places earlier from time to time, found an empty spot, and set up. It did not seem to pose a problem with the caretakers. Anyone ever have a problem with this? Thanks!

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Fireworks from Afar
I've never had a problem checking in early, they just give me a heads up that they may not have cleaned up the site (brushed the gravel, cleaned out the fire pit etc) but have always said if I want it as is I'm welcome to it once the others are gone.

Staying in the tower on Kearsarge North and watching the fireworks in Conway might be nice. You could stay at camp Pennacook on Chocorua and see the Conway ones from afar too, although they might not look like much from there. Or see them from the Moats or Cathedral Ledge. Go to Walmart, buy a couple 20 dollar travel hammocks and sleep wherever you please! :D

If you want to reserve a site Moose Brook looks to be the only one with any availability Sat/Sun Nights. 5 left. Act fast.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/unifSearchResults.do?currentPage=2&paging=true&facilityType=all&agencyKey=&facilityAvailable=show_all&viewType=view_list&selectedLetter=ALL&owner=&hiddenFilters=false

Great swimming hole there and not far from the Bretton Woods fireworks. I assume they have some in Gorham too but don't know for sure.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The check-in may be referring primarily to ones you can reserve. A few of the WMNF grounds have reserve-able spots. But you can drive through whenever and if you find one vacant you can grab it. But I doubt you'll be able to find one of those by Saturday. You're probably going to be out of luck unless you can find one you can reserve.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:47 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks, guys. And by the way, Joe, I saw your question on VFTT about Mountain Pond. While they're right about a lot of it being rocky, the side going from the parking lot to the shelter wasn't bad last time we were there. We camped there to watch the meteor shower a few years ago. Hopefully that road will be fixed someday!

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've seen fireworks from afar before. Not from a mountaintop but from the next city over along the beach. They look rather unimpressive. And sound even less so. I've seen the Boston fireworks from lynn woods. Really ho hum being 6 miles or so awaybas the crow flies. Nothing beats being close up IMO. Seeing tiny sphere of sparkles and the 10-15 seconds later hearing a muted thud is not my preferred way of seeing fireworks.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Once again, Beckie lucks out on a holiday weekend. Just out of curiosity, we get off in Lincoln. AND THE VACANCY BOARD IS ALL GREEN!!!!! Except for Russell Pond. So, long story short, we got a spot at Passaconaway Campground. We spent a very long afternoon in the Green Hills Conservation Area (did Middle and Peaked Mountains). We parked way down away from North Conway and walked up to the festivities and had a near perfect view near the Conway Scenic station. So it all came together nicely. And then Prema looked at Cathedral Ledge in the distance and asked if we could have seen it from there! Great weekend, did South Moat today(Sunday), but that's another story!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]