Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Whiteface and Passaconaway 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Whiteface and Passaconaway
Thinking of doing these two tomorrow. There are a lot of trails in the area. Any thoughts on a good route?
Thanks
Mike Z

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Whiteface and Passaconaway
Up Blueberry Ledges to Whiteface, over to PWay on Rollins, and down Dicey's Mill is the "normal" route that most people take.

Blueberry Ledges has some ledges (surprise!) that could be very tricky if they're icy. I'd check trail reports from this weekend (if you don't know trails-nh.com now's your time to check it out)and see what you can see. I don't remember there being any real "danger" fall areas, but there were a couple spots that could really be difficult in the wrong conditions. Good views along there too, though. McGrillis Trail might be easier, but doesn't make the nice loop for you.

Dicey's Mill is long and boring but sure to be packed out. Walden to Wonalancet Range Trail is a lot rougher and will have seen much less traffic. I'd just say be sure to take the .3 spur from near the PWay summit to the view ledge, it's easy walking and a terrific spot.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You can make a loop with the McCrillis Tr if you use the McCrillis Path from Blueberry Ledge Tr. It's just a short distance up from Ferncroft if you descend Dicey's Mill Tr. However both McCrillis' probably see little use in winter.

To add to Grindboy's suggestion, be sure to also go past the summit spur and .3 mi view spur and check out the NE outlook. It's only 100 yds further and has a nice view of Chocoura.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Take a look at New England Trail Conditions. Not that you'd want to do this yourself (I wouldn't, but maybe in the warmer weather), but some one posted a report today of an overnight version; coming from the Kanc and overnighting along the Kate Sleeper Trail. Like I said, I would not want to do this now, but it is an interesting read and maybe something to do in the future if you're inclined towards stuff like this.

We did the way most everyone does (mentioned above) and liked it, even if Shorty had a challenge on the ledges :lol: . Have fun!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Am I the only one who didn't see the summit spur? I got great views towards the trip pyramids but not anything else.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:46 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it went!

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Yes, let us know Mike.

Gibba, that's really too bad. I've read/been told that a lot of times people do the loop and so by the time they make PWay they're just tired and opt against the spur to the view, and so the mountain gets a poor reputation. There are actually 4 distinct viewpoints around the summit area and the little loop made by the Walden Trail etc., one S toward the Ossipees and lakes region, the one Ian mentioned E toward Paugus and Chocorua, the one W toward the Trips (which, coming from the E, I actually missed the first time), and by far the best and widest, N (etc) from the .3 spur trail ranging from Trips through Chocorua. But coming from WFace, it would be possible and maybe even common to only catch that W view and think the peak's weak. It's really one of my favorites (admittedly, I have a loooong list of "favorites").

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I saw it but didn't see it. It was 90 degrees on July 4th and too hazy/humid to see anything more than a mile or so so we skipped it for next time.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Grindboy wrote:
But coming from WFace, it would be possible and maybe even common to only catch that W view and think the peak's weak.

Yes, the views on the East side of the summit loop are much nicer, but not generally visited in winter. One of these days I need to have the motivation to drop down to that Northern viewpoint, it looks awesome but I've always been too tired (or had way too far to go yet) to bother. Shame really.

The first ledge on Blueberry Ledge Trail is really the only one I'd say has a bad fall potential. Coming up, the trail hooks hard right up the ledge, while there is a pretty good dropoff to the left. An overly-friendly dog jumped up against me at that spot a couple winters ago, luckily I somehow kept my balance. The rest of the ledges don't have much of a runout issue, but I'd still suggest up them versus down.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:22 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hi Everyone.

I see this listed as a two day hike but wonder if there is a place off trail to pitch a tent and if I need a permit. I'm new to this. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! Catherine

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

catyanmattyb wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I see this listed as a two day hike but wonder if there is a place off trail to pitch a tent and if I need a permit. I'm new to this. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! Catherine

Hi Catherine. Welcome to the forum!

Not a two day hike unless you want it to be and yes, lots of places off trail to pitch a tent, though not along the trail between the two peaks. No permit needed. IDK specifics, but if you look up info on Camp Rich you might find some spots in that area as it is a former overnight site.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:11 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

What Kathy said. I'll add that depending on which trails you take anywhere in the Sandwich Range Wilderness is legal to just throw down a tent. No setbacks of any kind. Good luck!

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You can definitely still camp at the old Camp Rich spot, it is a semi-official site still, as the "latrine" (box toilet) is still there. There is no signage for the site, but it is on the Dicey's Mill Trail just above the turnoff for the East Loop Trail (which is <1/4 mile above the Rollins/Dicey's Mill junction). There is a fairly obvious path in the woods (to the left if ascending), and it is a very short distance in to the old shelter clearing. Other spots to tent in/around there too. Good water source nearby.

As others said, there is generally no permit required in the White Mountains. Some zones require getting >200ft off-trail (I'm pretty sure this is true for all Wilderness areas, which most of the area on Passaconaway/Whiteface is inside of, and some other spots here and there which are generally indicated on signage near trailheads), and all marked campsites are first come/first serve with the ones along the AT frequently charging a fee per person per night.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Catherine - Welcome to the forum. An overnight there seems like a good idea. One thing that the others have not mentioned (unless i skimmed and missed it :oops: ); food storage. Either a canister or hanging a bag so that no creatures, great or small, get into your stuff!

Have fun, it's a beautiful area! We did it a few years back and came out with our headlamps on, overnight might have been a better idea!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]