Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Solar Eclipse 
Sovereign Woodsman

Solar Eclipse
Anyone still around? Now here's a good one. I turn 60 the day of the eclipse. Totality is a special event lasting less than a few minutes. It's also way far from these parts. So for anyone who thinks some of these guys are nuts driving down to NC for a day hike, etc.... this is crazier. We are actually going to drive somewhere for this (still in the planning stages). Will probably end up watching it from the side of some road. Then we'll drive home and stop at a state park along the way, unless we can drive straight to Pennsylvania
and stay with my brother. He lives in the Poconos, so maybe we'll go to Delaware Water Gap. Me and my crazy ideas!

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Solar Eclipse
First off, Happy Birthday! Second, NOT crazy to take a road trip. Ever. Road trips are good for the soul.

Have you figured out a destination yet? I hear the totality path is pretty far south.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am
Sovereign Woodsman

We're waiting to see what the weather is. I would have gone to my cousin's house an hour from Yellowstone, but did not want it to become the solar equivalent of our 48 finish. So we are going to drive south and keep our eye on the TN and the Carolinas. I ordered an atlas similar to those DeLorme Gazeteers that Hardcore and company get their hikes out of. This one shows all the various state parks, etc along totality. Since we are hikers we will not feel bad missing out on getting a motel room (which will be hyper-inflated anyway). We will break up the ride by staying over at my brother's in PA on the way home (maybe we'll check out the Delaware Water Gap part of the AT). Should be interesting.

If this doesn't work, I understand that there will be another one April 8, 2024, which will be in totality over Katadhin and the 100 Mile Wilderness. For those who don't mind a mono rail :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
If this doesn't work, I understand that there will be another one April 8, 2024, which will be in totality over Katadhin and the 100 Mile Wilderness. For those who don't mind a mono rail :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Well, you could visit the 100-Mile Wilderness, sure, but not Katahdin. In case you didn't know, Katahdin trails are closed for the month of April (and usually into May) every year.

I really ought to head somewhere for the eclipse. It will be over 90% coverage here in the Denver area, but only a few hours North/NorthEast is the 100% band...I'm bad at planning that far out :mrgreen:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You can't really plan too far out, can you imagine all those folks who pay big bucks for a room someplace and it rains or fogs up there?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hope everything will be good with the planned activities.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Saw the eclipse in Red Bank, S.C. You must see it at least once in your life! Kind of a religious experience. Seems like you're in the middle of some sci-fi movie. Loved the 360 degree sunset! Moon's surface was a greyish color and the crater's were visible on the face. Planning on Burlington, Vt. in 2024. :shock:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am
Sovereign Woodsman

whitey wrote:
Saw the eclipse... must see it at least once in your life! Kind of a religious experience.

We saw a (lunar) eclipse that was "kind of a religious experience." Not really comparable on a celestial level to what you got to witness - but this was a full moon night, completely clear, outdoors at a Ringo Starr concert at the Kingston Fair Grounds here in NH. An incredible night - good vibes, great people, awesome familiar tunes that everybody knew the words to and sang along...

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]