Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Carter to Wildcat Ski Traverse 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Carter to Wildcat Ski Traverse
I was originally planning a day hike to hit Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome, Wildcat and Wildcat D. The original plan was Imp Trail to the ridge and down the trail that runs roughly North down from Wildcat D to the Wildcat ski area base (I don't see a trail name on CalTopo).

With winter solidly taking hold, and being an avid ski tourer, I am wondering how viable it would be to do as a ski tour. Skin up the imp trail, traverse the ridge, and a ski descent of Wildcat ski resort. Imp trail seems to be a relatively low average grade to the summit of Middle Carter, and I don't mind booting the summit the ridge where needed. The descent from Carter Dome to the Wildcat saddle seems the steepest descent and climb back up. The final 2.3 miles would be shortened by skiing the resort fall line and accomplished in about 10 minutes or less. I have pretty light touring gear with skins and ski crampons, and very light ski boots with significant range of motion.

Seems like a fun adventure....or a major hassle hauling heavy gear and hiking in ski boots just for a brief ski descent at the end.....

Anyone with a knowledge of these trails and the perspective of a skier?

Thanks!

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]