Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Trip suggestions for first winter summit 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Trip suggestions for first winter summit
Grindboy wrote:
Sorry is I came off wrong. Apologies!

No worries. I can tell your intentions were pure. I put you and Gibba in the same category. Like, you don't know that you're being condescending when you're just trying to help.

I mentioned other hobbies earlier, and one of mine is poker. I usually go to Foxwoods and play a more competitive game, but with the no-limit ring games becoming legal in NH recently, I've played locally a few times. The major difference is the skill and knowledge of the player pool. A lot of noobs in NH, which is to be expected, since the game is entirely new to them. But mixed in are a few folks who have made the trip to foxwoods and think they are pros. And when the noobs forget to post their blinds, the pros dont' wait for the dealer to correct the problem, they point it out, loudly. When a player stalls the action, the "pro" player takes it upon himself to keep things moving.

Now, the "pro" player THINKS he's doing something good. He THINKS that his accumulated knowledge and experience is helping. The noob is slowing the game down, which hurts everyone else, so by helping the noob along, he thinks he's doing the game a service. But the noob disagrees. The noob only hears a pushy know-it-all telling them that they are doing everything wrong. And while the pro has the greatest of intentions, all he has really done is chased a fish out of the pond, and nobody wants that.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

One more thing GG, while you've got your dictionary out, why don't you look up "Average"

If the average temp is 33, and the average wind speed is 35, then the average windchill temp is probably around 18. How cold does it have to be to qualify as a GraniteGuy-approved winter?

Anyway, if the AVERAGE is 18, then that means for every minute of the day that it felt like 28, there was another minute of the day that felt like 8. And if at any time the temps felt like 38, as you're suggesting it did, then that means there was a corresponding moment where the temps felt like -2.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:31 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'm changing the channel on this episode of the Granite Guy Show. Tuning you out like I should have done and everyone else has already done. You keep asking what you need to accomplish to prove yourself to us. You don't need to do that to me or anyone else here. We are actually a very easy going group until someone starts calling anyone and everyone condescending elitists, and we accept people of all experience levels openly. The only one you need to prove anything to is yourself. So good luck with the Franconia Ridge loop this Sunday. It's a pretty good proving ground for you and your winter hiking abilities. Help out the hiking community and post a report. Comment on others who do. Give back some info and insight to anyone who wants it. That is what the place is all about. Not this slop we've been tossing around for the last few pages.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:07 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Apology accepted

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This has to be the most ridiculous rant ever. ave you read this back to yourself?

BrianL:

On the contrary Gibba, I believe my advice is extra-relevant since I'm in virtually the exact same place as the OP in terms of hiking experience. I feel like as a comparable hiker, I'm uniquely qualified to comment on what would be an epic boring waste of time, and what would be an entertaining challenge. You and GG have been there, done that, and seen it all, so how could your opinion ever be relevant?

If you started a new job would you rely on the advice from someone who who got hired at the same time as you or someone who has been there for 10 years? Following your logic you would follow the guy who had gotten hired at the same time and had been taken aside asking whats wrong with you? You are uniquely qualified to give advice to hike a bunch of 4ks that have nothing to do with winter.

The difference between the Mt. Tecumseh trail and the Huntington ravine trail are so stark. You still haven't addressed this.

Tecumseh goes up this

Huntington goes up the Ravine to the right here.

quite a bit of difference

I'm not sure where the headlamp thing came from. You should have one on you just because *poop* happens or because ... fun happens. The woods don't change, only your perception.

The Condescending aspect eludes me. Everyone here has tried to be helpful to the OP. Cautionary advice is warranted since we don't know the OP from a hole in the wall. Perhaps not everyone is a type A douche like you. Perhaps you don't know what you don't know. (this is actually expected) You may need to change your poker face because you aren't reading anyone here correctly. It is best that you fold.

Edited to fix one of the pictures. I had made it too small so i made it bigger and highlighted the area in question.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
If you started a new job would you rely on the advice from someone who who got hired at the same time as you or someone who has been there for 10 years?

It depends on what the advice was about? If you wanted to ask someone "what are some of the pitfalls of this job, and what experiences have you had with adversity at this company?", then by all means, ask the 10 year veteran. But if your question is "How do I survive my first day?", then you are far better off asking someone who has been there 10 weeks.

Another vocabulary word for GraniteGuy to look up: Empathy

If you ask the 10 year vet what to do on your first day you're likely to get an answer like "Here's an easy project to keep you busy, now stay out of my way while I do real business". Sound familiar?

thegibba wrote:
The difference between the Mt. Tecumseh trail and the Huntington ravine trail are so stark. You still haven't addressed this.

Why do I need to? There are more than just two trails to the 48 summits. You're cherry picking extremes and it's only serving to illustrate your narrow-minded condescending attitude. Do you think that no one realizes that you chose a very very forgiving picture of Tecumseh? What would you like to bet I can find equally enticing pictures of at least a dozen other 4k trails that offer a better experience than Tecumseh. No one suggested going up Huntington Ravine. And we all agree, even me who has never been there, that it's hard. But if you been up there.....here's a gold star buddy!

But....If I'm being honest....here's a confession. My first 4k was tecumseh. My 2nd was Moosilauke. And when planning my trip, I looked at the map and said "Looks like Beaver Brook is the shortest route up, that's where I'm going".

Being in "just ok" shape at the time, how badly do you think I regretted that decision an hour after starting? I did read trip reports and stuff before going, and I was aware of the warning sign about the "Extremely Tough" trail. So I kinda knew what I was getting into, but not 100% until I was actually there. So there may be a tiny lesson there about being overconfident. But the bigger lesson is that I challenged myself and succeeded. The Beaver Brook trail is F-king gorgeous and will probably stand as one of my favorite hikes ever. So there is definitely something to be said for "pushing it" a little bit. Sending the OP to Tecumseh virtually guarantees he won't have that experience.

thegibba wrote:
I'm not sure where the headlamp thing came from. You should have one on you just because *poop* happens or because ... fun happens. The woods don't change, only your perception.

Really? I need one? Should I bring anything else? Like, do you think I'll need a hat? Is there a place to charge my phone anywhere on Mt Kinsman? Is there wifi at the Galehead hut? What time does the bar close? Are abominable snowmen real?

thegibba wrote:
The Condescending aspect eludes me.

See above

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Seriously, enough is enough already. Can we all put our dicks away for a minute and just stick to the topic at hand.

Greg

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 am
Sovereign Woodsman

CM I hope you're still here! This is not the usual style of discussion here! Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:50 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Beckie and Prema wrote:
This is not the usual style of discussion here!

It was. The first couple of pages anyway were very typical. Someone with slightly more than zero experience asks if anyone could help him select a peak from a list of five, and then a sizable contingent of posters proceed to offer BAD and UN-FUN suggestions that weren't on the list, and suggestions that don't even qualify as 4k's.

Why do they do this? Because their egos won't let them admit that the "tough" peaks really aren't that tough. They are in complete denial of the fact that hiking has a very steep learning curve from ages 0 to 2, then it flattens out pretty much entirely. It hurts to accept the fact that anyone with google, good shoes, and the $3 bucks to park can become as good a hiker as anyone here, pretty much overnight.

They try to dazzle you with backdoor brags about their abilities, like knowing how to use crampons. And they try to suggest to you that you develop these skills on the bunny slopes. But how are you going to develop crampons skills unless you go somewhere that crampons would be required? It's a vicious paradox designed to keep the uninformed in some kind of "lower status". It's like if you wanted to get better at chess, but only practiced against a 7 year old, you would only get good enough to beat a 7 year old. Does that sound like fun CM_wright? I hope you're smart enough to see through the BS here.

You're not experienced enough to go above treeline, so stay below treeline and never get any experience at all.

^Typical style of the discussion here.

But thanks for participating. Post a trip report when you're done so GraniteGuy can send you a link to one of his showing how he did it better.

If you're climbing mountains without a helmet, you're not doing anything particularly impressive. Have fun, get outdoors, stay fit, socialize, but don't pretend it's Everest....you'll give yourself an inferiority complex.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 pm
Master Mountaineer

BrianL wrote:
Beckie and Prema wrote:
This is not the usual style of discussion here!

It was. The first couple of pages anyway were very typical. Someone with slightly more than zero experience asks if anyone could help him select a peak from a list of five, and then a sizable contingent of posters proceed to offer BAD and UN-FUN suggestions that weren't on the list, and suggestions that don't even qualify as 4k's.

Why do they do this? Because their egos won't let them admit that the "tough" peaks really aren't that tough. They are in complete denial of the fact that hiking has a very steep learning curve from ages 0 to 2, then it flattens out pretty much entirely. It hurts to accept the fact that anyone with google, good shoes, and the $3 bucks to park can become as good a hiker as anyone here, pretty much overnight.

They try to dazzle you with backdoor brags about their abilities, like knowing how to use crampons. And they try to suggest to you that you develop these skills on the bunny slopes. But how are you going to develop crampons skills unless you go somewhere that crampons would be required? It's a vicious paradox designed to keep the uninformed in some kind of "lower status". It's like if you wanted to get better at chess, but only practiced against a 7 year old, you would only get good enough to beat a 7 year old. Does that sound like fun CM_wright? I hope you're smart enough to see through the BS here.

You're not experienced enough to go above treeline, so stay below treeline and never get any experience at all.

^Typical style of the discussion here.

But thanks for participating. Post a trip report when you're done so GraniteGuy can send you a link to one of his showing how he did it better.

If you're climbing mountains without a helmet, you're not doing anything particularly impressive. Have fun, get outdoors, stay fit, socialize, but don't pretend it's Everest....you'll give yourself an inferiority complex.

Dude. Why can't you just let this go? Are you just going to sit here and bitterly troll everyone who posts? It's apparent to many of us (and should be to you) that you don't belong here. It's obvious that our group here doesn't jive with what you're looking for... so why don't you just leave? Go over to VFTT where nobody is nearly as condescending as all of us seasoned pros. Seriously dude... I took your side at first,but you are being a total a-hole. Let it go, or please do us all a favor and just leave.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:36 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

iagreewithjamie wrote:
you are being a total a-hole.

No, I'm a dick

And sometimes dicks have to F the A-holes to keep them from S'ing all over everything.......like they did to the OP's weekend plans.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The OP seemed to be thankful. His weekend plans stand to be pretty good. Saturday looks like junk though. Perhaps they will do Tecumseh. A great peak on a cloudy day. Snow falling on ones shoulders. Ahhhhhh....

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
The OP seemed to be thankful.

For what? He still has the same plan he started with. Doesn't say much for the advice he got.

thegibba wrote:
His weekend plans stand to be pretty good. Saturday looks like junk though.

On the other hand......to borrow a phrase from poker......Sunday looks like the stone cold nuts

The MWOBS only goes two days out, but I did find this

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Lafayette/forecasts/1000

Have folks found that site to be reliable?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:22 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

@CM_wright If you're still reading, I recommend you juggle your stuff so you can get out on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Liberty/Flume and Pierce/Jackson are both solid plans. But be flexible. You'll have a really good look at Eisenhower from the top of Pierce, and you should give some strong consideration to changing course if it looks good. The approach to the summit is a ZILLION times more fun.

If you do decide that Pierce/Jackson is your combo, I'd recommend adding a couple extra miles and grabbing Webster while you're there. It's not a 4k, and it's summit is probably comparable to Tecumseh. But bagging it now means that if you ever want to do the 52WAV list, you won't have to make a return trip just for that peak.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next