Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Trip suggestions for first winter summit 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Trip suggestions for first winter summit
iagreewithjamie wrote:
In the spirit of harmony, we should all agree that Tecumseh sucks in winter and summer,

I don't think anyone here was saying Tecumseh was a fantastic, must-hike peak that rivals Pierce, Jackson, or some of the other ideas. On that we can certainly agree. And I've been to that summit more than most here :roll:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:01 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Personally I'm not interested in harmony with a certain someone. You all can have at it. I'm here to post trip reports, share where I go, learn from the others, chat with the people I know from here and who's opinions I actually value. If posting lots of trip reports on everything from local nature trails to Acadia and the Adirondacks and everything in between of all sizes for all abilities and trying to get other to enjoy them also makes me an elitist so be it, although it would seem to be the exact opposite of the words meaning, but definitions don't seem to be a strong suit for some. I do post in most threads also. I am either friends with, friendly with, or have at least met most of the regulars here and enjoy their company on the trails and their insight into whatever and a little chatter on these forums when they check in. There are many good people on here, all that I have met in person are people I wouldn't hesitate to hike with any day. There are no elitists. Even the ones who hike the elite hikes that most people couldn't dream of arr as down to earth and friendly in person as Anyone you'll ever come across on the trails. Commenting on things they take the time to post and I take the time to read, or questions asked is what the place Is for no? Silly me for being under the impression the forum was actually for posting trip reports and commenting in threads. I wish everyone did more of it, it would be a lot more fun to read reports and have more activity going on as opposed to checking in and seeing nothing new and having to have to read tirades against the cost of AMC huts, the cost of search and rescue and having all of us collectively being called a bunch of elitist shils for one thing or another for giving advice we actually base on experience and not theory.

But, I guess that's why most people post all their reports on their blogs or Facebook now or don't even bother. I don't have a hiking blog or use Facebook very much so I'll keep hiking, posting and contributing my elitist reports on every tree I walk by here. This, and hiking forums in general will probably continue their decline because nobody wants to deal with jokers who cant comprehend what is stated, already know it all and have to launch 4 paragraph long rants against people and get personal with those who simply state an opinion that differs from theirs, or in my case was actually pretty much the same. Me, I just don't value anything people like that say when they go on the attack enough to care, so rant on, and when your done maybe post something and contribute to the place and help keep it on life support so they don't pull the plug on it for lack of use/interest.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

GG, your backpedaling is pretty transparent here. Everything I said up until post #26 was in relation to hiking, and the mountains. But your post started with:

Quote:
Says the guy who hasn't hiked in winter, or apparently on many other trails..

That was a snarky, rude, and aggressive comment directed solely at ME, and that made it personal. If you agreed with me, just say that. Instead you decided it would be more fun to split hairs over my general comments and throw my noob-ness in my face by telling me that there are in fact tougher trails than Tecumseh. Ok, fine, you win. Not every trail is exactly step-for-step identical. And fine, there are probably some dangerous places, and congratulations if you've been to them. But no one is risking life and limb by choosing a more interesting 4K for their "FIRST" winter challenge.

I'll repeat. I am also planning my first 4k in winter this weekend, which is why my opinion is uniquely relevant. I also hiked Tecumseh as my FIRST 4k overall, and regret it. Another unique perspective that could be useful to the OP. Isn't that what this board is for? People of different backgrounds and experience to come together and share ideas? I thought that was what it was for. But apparently it's more of a playground for juveniles to make passive aggressive and thinly veiled penis jokes.

Quote:
attempt to be manly and compensate for whatever it is the complex derives from...

@grindboy - The name of this forum is "4000 footers". The OP posted asking for advice on a 4k mountain. He stated that he is fit, equipped, and has some experience with 4ks. Your advice was to send him to Major, or Boulder Loop. Why? Tell me, what does the guy have to do to prove to YOU, Mr. Experience, that he's ready for the big-boy hills?

@madmatt - You aren't getting into this right? I'm glad you have such vivid memories of the specific weather at a place you weren't at close to two months ago, but you might want to re-check your crystal ball. Temps in the 40's? Not even close. Light winds? I don't think so. No one I saw could stand it at the summit for more than 3 minutes, except me, cause I guess I just didn't know any better. Is cold bad????????

@Gibba - Believe it or not, I think you're OK. I think your 'tale of the tape' on Huntington Ravine was actually meant as sage advice. I think you really do believe that the nuances of estimating steepness is something you actually learned through experience, and it never occurred to you that an amateur might be able to figure it out intuitively. I don't think you're a mean guy, just open your mind a little and realize that this isn't as hard as you think it is. It's significantly less complicated than changing the machinations of the sun, you'll have to each me that trick sometime!

@GraniteGuy - If you agree with me, great. If not, you're welcome to state why and provide facts to support your argument. None of the advice I provided before post #26 was bad, which you have acknowledged by your own agreement, yet you chose to take a personal turn and *poop* all over it, and me. If you're gonna start posting personal attacks, don't be surprised if you get an aggressive response. Keep that in mind if you want to keep the mods from pulling the plug on what's pretty much become the "The GraniteGuy Show"

I've been out hiking quite a bit over the last six months. I've met and conversed with dozens of folks who share the same interest. And over that time I have done ALOT of research online through websites, forums, blogs, and trip reports. And if you're interested in a newcomer's perspective, I can tell you it's not positive. I know I've read the resentment about folks who drive up Mt Washington in at least a dozen trip reports. You "veterans" probably don't even realize it, but there really is an air of superiority about you that is really ugly.

I admit, a few months ago, I was a little ignorant of winter trails. Everything I had read had that "look how great i am for being able to do this" slant, so one could easily see why I would be intimidated. I posted, got some answers, and then hit the trails....on a 4k that was not Tecumseh, and did not die. Now I feel like I can share that experience to help others. Isn't that what this forum is for? Apparently not, because when I did that, I got slammed for being too inexperienced. And even that claim was pretty dubious, turns out that GraniteGuy just didn't have an updated copy of my resume.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BrianL wrote:
@madmatt - You aren't getting into this right? I'm glad you have such vivid memories of the specific weather at a place you weren't at close to two months ago, but you might want to re-check your crystal ball. Temps in the 40's? Not even close. Light winds? I don't think so. No one I saw could stand it at the summit for more than 3 minutes, except me, cause I guess I just didn't know any better. Is cold bad????????

I'm glad you think you know where I was that day.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:36 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

madmattd wrote:

You were somewhere 25 degrees warmer than where I was, that I know.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:38 am
Master Mountaineer

You guys have forgotten the number 1 rule of being here: HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE!!!

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 pm

BrianL wrote:
GG, your backpedaling is pretty transparent here. Everything I said up until post #26 was in relation to hiking, and the mountains. But your post started with:

Quote:
Says the guy who hasn't hiked in winter, or apparently on many other trails..

That was a snarky, rude, and aggressive comment directed solely at ME

That's the first thing you've gotten right. The comment being snarky and aimed at you, not the backpedaling. I'm not going back on anything I said. And, I said that right after you came up with with this gem towards the collective group here, and after I pretty much agreed with your position word for word, so, I'll argue I didn't start anything, just continued the tone you set. If you can't take the hear bro, stay out of the kitchen.

BrianL wrote:
Geez Waterville Valley must be paying all you guys a commission!!! I must have missed the shill volunteer sign up booth when I hiked Mt Tecumseh.

These guys are probably far too nice from what I know of them to get into this with you, so, just to point out a few things should they take the high road...

BrianL wrote:
@grindboy - The name of this forum is "4000 footers". The OP posted asking for advice on a 4k mountain. He stated that he is fit, equipped, and has some experience with 4ks. Your advice was to send him to Major, or Boulder Loop. Why? Tell me, what does the guy have to do to prove to YOU, Mr. Experience, that he's ready for the big-boy hills?

Grindboyu said the following. He did not send him to Major. I know by now reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but try and read this s-l-o-w-l-y and grasp it.

Grindboy wrote:
After not climbing much at all in a while, I hit Tecumseh this week, and I know it's nobody's #1 favorite, but it was a great time, a decent view, and would be an excellent choice for 1st W4K.

My first was Tom, as suggested by Matt. It's inefficient if you're doing "the list," but I had an amazing time and it might have a better view in Winter (although may need some more snow for that.)

BrianL wrote:

BrianL wrote:
madmattd wrote:

You were somewhere 25 degrees warmer than where I was, that I know.

I think I know where Matt was that day. I find it hard to believe but perhaps it's true that the weather was a lot different on Carrigain than where you were. After all, your mountain is 80 feet higher than that one. Even if he wasn't there to know first hand what the conditions were (but he was or he wouldn't have tried to politely point that out to you, which, not surprisingly, you missed) wherever could he have gotten the idea things were rather mild?? Hmmm....

BrianL wrote:
Wait...what? "taste of winter"? "go where it's winter"? Are you guys saying that the conditions experienced by IQuest are typical of winter hiking?

I have a bunch of pictures similar to IQuest from last sunday in the Presidentials. I went Up Crawford to Pierce, across to Eisenhower, and down Edmands. It was an unusually warm december day with sunshine and clear skies.

I did not use any traction, and never even considered it. At no point was I even close to cold

But like I said, he was there. He doesn't need you to tell him.

BrianL wrote:
@Gibba - I don't think you're a mean guy, just open your mind a little and realize that this isn't as hard as you think it is. It's significantly less complicated than changing the machinations of the sun, you'll have to each me that trick sometime!

It's called a headlamp. us grizzled veterans use them all the time for early starts and late finishes, night hikes. I'm sure you learned how to use a flashlight when you were 2 just like you learned the essentials of winter hiking. Headlamps are similar, only they go on your head. You'll figure it out eventually. or google it. Whatever floats your boat.

BrianL wrote:
I've been out hiking quite a bit over the last six months. I've met and conversed with dozens of folks who share the same interest. And over that time I have done ALOT of research online through websites, forums, blogs, and trip reports. And if you're interested in a newcomer's perspective, I can tell you it's not positive. I know I've read the resentment about folks who drive up Mt Washington in at least a dozen trip reports. You "veterans" probably don't even realize it, but there really is an air of superiority about you that is really ugly.

I admit, a few months ago, I was a little ignorant of winter trails. Everything I had read had that "look how great i am for being able to do this" slant, so one could easily see why I would be intimidated. I posted, got some answers, and then hit the trails....on a 4k that was not Tecumseh, and did not die. Now I feel like I can share that experience to help others. Isn't that what this forum is for? Apparently not, because when I did that, I got slammed for being too inexperienced. And even that claim was pretty dubious, turns out that GraniteGuy just didn't have an updated copy of my resume.

If you are the same in person as you are on here it's no wonder you get the feeling everyone thinks you are an idiot. That's where your inferiority complex comes into play. And if you are the same way in real life I am sure it's serving you well in allaspects of life. I stand corrected on your winter experience, you have now hiked the Uncanoonucs, Pulpit Rock and Pemigewassett. Combined they almost total 4000 feet (yes that's a snarky comment too) so you are good to go up above treeline in full on White Mountain winter weather. It's all the same. Snow is snow. Winter is winter. Continue on with the scorched earth policy around here for a bit. You'll go away, I'll humor you in the meantime. Mark Twain said don't argue with stupid people, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. So I know I shouldn't, but this is just too easy.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:06 pm

BrianL wrote:

Also, since this just continues to be like shooting fish in a barrel, the temperatures on Mt. Washington that weekend was 37 on Saturday and 38 on Sunday with 35mph average winds. The low temp on Sunday was only 28 degrees. A lot more people than you, superman, can stand up in that for a lot longer than three minutes.

https://www.mountwashington.org/uploads/forms/2015/12.pdf

Thats a far cry from even the average daily highs and winds in January...

Temperatures (°F)
Normal Monthly Average 4.7
Normal Daily Maximum Average13.6
Record High (Year) 48 (2013)
Record Low (Year) -47 (1934)

Winds
Normal Monthly Average Speed 46.0
Record Peak Gust Direction (Year) 172 - NW (1985)

And I can promise you the winds weren't that strong and the temp wasn't that low 1500 feet lower. So, if you do intend to carry on making a fool of yourself go right ahead, but you might want to get some facts right before you shoot off your mouth. Us grizzled, elite mountaineers know where to look to check such things.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:46 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
I said that right after you came up with with this gem towards the collective group here,
BrianL wrote:
Geez Waterville Valley must be paying all you guys a commission!!! I must have missed the shill volunteer sign up booth when I hiked Mt Tecumseh.

1) The two posts are mere minutes apart. Unless you type 300 words per minute, there is no way you saw that before you posted your snarky, personal attack.
2) Since you're terrible with definitions, this will be good practice for you. Look up the word: HYPERBOLE

Granite Guy wrote:
Grindboyu said the following. He did not send him to Major. I know by now reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but try and read this s-l-o-w-l-y and grasp it.

Grindboy wrote:
After not climbing much at all in a while, I hit Tecumseh this week, and I know it's nobody's #1 favorite, but it was a great time, a decent view, and would be an excellent choice for 1st W4K.

My first was Tom, as suggested by Matt. It's inefficient if you're doing "the list," but I had an amazing time and it might have a better view in Winter (although may need some more snow for that.)

Where's the rest of Grindboy's quote? The part where he acts like a condescending know-it all and talk to the OP like he's a baby? You know anyone can just click back a few pages and see the game you're playing here right?

Granite Guy wrote:
I think I know where Matt was that day. I find it hard to believe but perhaps it's true that the weather was a lot different on Carrigain than where you were. After all, your mountain is 80 feet higher than that one. Even if he wasn't there to know first hand what the conditions were (but he was or he wouldn't have tried to politely point that out to you, which, not surprisingly, you missed) wherever could he have gotten the idea things were rather mild?? Hmmm....

I admit, it was a nice day. But to say it was a mid spring, mid-40's type of day is wildly inaccurate. If I was a greedy whore for attention I would taken more than a few cellphone pics and then you could see what I saw. Undercast in one direction, cloudy skies in another, and lots of peaks and valleys cast in various degrees of shadow depending on the time of day.

It's my understanding that the weather in the whites is the result of a cluster-F of weather systems all colliding in the same place. It's not unreasonable to believe that there could be double digit temperature differences between two places that are 25+ miles apart. Make up your mind folks. Is the weather in the whites an unpredictable demon that can only be challenged by superior mountain men? Or is it a stable, blanket system that is experienced equally in all areas and all elevations?

I don't even know what you're trying to prove here? I'm sure you've been out on colder days. So have I. You seem to have this belief that you are some kind of expert on winter experience. And you seem to believe that Dec 6th is my ONLY exposure to non-tropical weather. Be honest, are you trolling, or are you completely retarded? You seem to be saying that unless you've spent a week in February above 5000 feet, you don't know jack right? Living in New England my whole life is completely worthless experience? It doesn't matter that I've been sledding, skiing, snowmobiling, shoveling, skating, chopping firewood, or walking city streets in sub-zero temps, often for long periods of time......none of those things happened near a tree with some paint slapped on it, so it doesn't count, right?

Granite Guy wrote:
It's called a headlamp. us grizzled veterans use them all the time for early starts and late finishes, night hikes. I'm sure you learned how to use a flashlight when you were 2 just like you learned the essentials of winter hiking. Headlamps are similar, only they go on your head. You'll figure it out eventually. or google it. Whatever floats your boat.

Is your name Gibba? And I didn't realize I needed to validate my itinerary with you every time I wanted to hike. What do you care if I choose to be back to my car by dark? Isn't your whole point here to err on the side of caution? At no point in this thread did anyone ask 'what gear to pack'. I have a lamp. Thanks for the advice oh Great and Wise God of the Whites.

I'm a single parent with three small children. I work full time and freelance to give my family the extras. I have several hobbies and hiking is only ONE of them. So the days that I'm able to hike are limited, but I've managed to take advantage of all of them since I started, even on days where I only had time to hike Indian Head, I did what I could to make the best of the limited free time I had.

But I didn't make it above 2500 feet, so I failed. Everything I've done is worthless. Oh god I wish I could be as awesome as Granite Guy :( WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL?????????????

Granite Guy wrote:
If you are the same in person as you are on here it's no wonder you get the feeling everyone thinks you are an idiot.

When did I say I get that feeling?

Granite Guy wrote:
That's where your inferiority complex comes into play.

Says the guy who can't comment on a trip report without linking to one of his own. Says the guy with 100x more posts on here than anyone else. Says the guy who is inventing facts to support the argument that he's better at walking uphill in the cold than everyone else.

Granite Guy wrote:
Combined they almost total 4000 feet (yes that's a snarky comment too) so you are good to go up above treeline in full on White Mountain winter weather. It's all the same. Snow is snow. Winter is winter.

It really is all the same. Maybe the wind is whippier. maybe the temps are chillier. Maybe the snow is crunchier, but the only significant variable really is the angle of the ground and your own fitness when it comes to handling it. Are you suggesting that I'm out of shape? A man without an inferiority complex wouldn't go around impugning the physical abilities of a total stranger.

Granite Guy wrote:
Continue on with the scorched earth policy around here for a bit. You'll go away, I'll humor you in the meantime. Mark Twain said don't argue with stupid people, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. So I know I shouldn't, but this is just too easy.

It SEEMS easy because you have an inferiority complex. It feeds your ego to tell me how weak and inexperienced I am. It makes you feel like more of a man to tell me how much more you know about those little particles of frozen water lying on the ground. It makes you feel superior by falsely clinging to the conviction that I've only been out in winter-ish conditions one time in my entire life.

But you're embarassing yourself. Keep humoring me. I think the GraniteGuy Show may be cancelled very soon.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:07 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

GG - Just tell me what the formula is. You have my entire hiking resume handy at this point, right?

What test must the OP and I pass before you would bless a 4k hike to anywhere except tecumseh on 1/30/2016? How can I prove to you that I'm strong enough to step away from my TV and central heating? You're aggrivating my inferiority complex, and I just want to feel worthy enough to be allowed outside sir????????

Please, Mr. Boreas, oh great and powerful God of the North Wind, please grant me permission to set foot on your magnificent landscape.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

^ And now you have a practical example, so you'll never forget the definition of the word hyperbole.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:28 pm

I have alot more than one practical example listed. If you're going to call people out by name and insult them you best be dealing in facts and quotes and not hyperbole and genalizations and twisting their words.

BrianL wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
I said that right after you came up with with this gem towards the collective group here,
BrianL wrote:

1) The two posts are mere minutes apart. Unless you type 300 words per minute, there is no way you saw that before you posted your snarky, personal attack.

Most of that response was in your dismissal of any need to try out gear or get used to winter. I hit preview, saw your next dumb statement and added the first line, all in less than 8 minutes :wink:

Granite Guy wrote:

Grindboy wrote:

Where's the rest of Grindboy's quote? The part where he acts like a condescending know-it all and talk to the OP like he's a baby? You know anyone can just click back a few pages and see the game you're playing here right?

You cannot read english. I am convinced of it. All he said, after suggesting Tecumseh and Tom, was if things don't shake out for the 4K for some reason the OP could still have a great day on smaller stuff getting used to condition, as Grindboy himself did. He listed where he started out. he never told the OP to go there. :roll:

Granite Guy wrote:

I admit, it was a nice day. But to say it was a mid spring, mid-40's type of day is wildly inaccurate. If I was a greedy whore for attention I would taken more than a few cellphone pics and then you could see what I saw. Undercast in one direction, cloudy skies in another, and lots of peaks and valleys cast in various degrees of shadow depending on the time of day.

While I'd love to debate facts, I already listed them for you. You sir, are flat out wrong. I'm sure you missed that second post while attempting to respond coherently to the first. Fail on both ends. I'll accept your retraction after you see the FACTS.

It's my understanding that the weather in the whites is the result of a cluster-F of weather systems all colliding in the same place. It's not unreasonable to believe that there could be double digit temperature differences between two places that are 25+ miles apart. Make up your mind folks. Is the weather in the whites an unpredictable demon that can only be challenged by superior mountain men? Or is it a stable, blanket system that is experienced equally in all areas and all elevations?

It is unrerasonable and a last ditch effort grasping at straws to say that. But Mt. Washington is only a couple miles away, so again, see the FACTS

I don't even know what you're trying to prove here? I'm sure you've been out on colder days. So have I. You seem to have this belief that you are some kind of expert on winter experience. And you seem to believe that Dec 6th is my ONLY exposure to non-tropical weather. Be honest, are you trolling, or are you completely retarded? You seem to be saying that unless you've spent a week in February above 5000 feet, you don't know jack right? Living in New England my whole life is completely worthless experience? It doesn't matter that I've been sledding, skiing, snowmobiling, shoveling, skating, chopping firewood, or walking city streets in sub-zero temps, often for long periods of time......none of those things happened near a tree with some paint slapped on it, so it doesn't count, right?

Right. Except skiing. That probably happened on a mountain with at least a little elevation. I've skied my whole life too however, and the two do not equate. Gear, clothing, conditions on groomed trails. Totally different.

Granite Guy wrote:

Is your name Gibba? And I didn't realize I needed to validate my itinerary with you every time I wanted to hike. What do you care if I choose to be back to my car by dark? Isn't your whole point here to err on the side of caution? At no point in this thread did anyone ask 'what gear to pack'. I have a lamp. Thanks for the advice oh Great and Wise God of the Whites.

I have to keep telling myself you can't be this stupid, and you keep proving me wrong. I am the one who said do push the boundaries a little and make it a bit more exciting than the most boring of hikes. For someone who seems to think you need to push the limits a little for adventure needing to be back at your car before the boogeyman comes out seems, well, not so adventurous, and more like an excuse as to why you have been getting uesd to yuor gear on smaller hikes but don't want to admit it.

I'm a single parent with three small children. I work full time and freelance to give my family the extras. I have several hobbies and hiking is only ONE of them. So the days that I'm able to hike are limited, but I've managed to take advantage of all of them since I started, even on days where I only had time to hike Indian Head, I did what I could to make the best of the limited free time I had.

But I didn't make it above 2500 feet, so I failed. Everything I've done is worthless. Oh god I wish I could be as awesome as Granite Guy :( WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL?????????????

Good for you. We all have stuff that gets in the way of hiking and our other hobbies. You didn't fail, you gained useful knowledge and experience. You are the only one here who seems to think that is a failure or worthless since you didn't get off the bunny slopes yet.

Granite Guy wrote:
If you are the same in person as you are on here it's no wonder you get the feeling everyone thinks you are an idiot.

When did I say I get that feeling?

Granite Guy wrote:
That's where your inferiority complex comes into play.

Says the guy who can't comment on a trip report without linking to one of his own. Says the guy with 100x more posts on here than anyone else. Says the guy who is inventing facts to support the argument that he's better at walking uphill in the cold than everyone else.

I do comment on almost everything. As I said, if people take the time to post and I take the time to read and have a comment why not make it. That is what keeps the place going, not these stupid arguments you keep getting into with everyone. They come and go occasionally. The hiking posts and comments drive the place. If you have been around the longest out of the regular posters, or post more trip reports than most, common sense tells you you will have more posts than anyone else. Unfortunately common sense is another of your weak points

Granite Guy wrote:
Combined they almost total 4000 feet (yes that's a snarky comment too) so you are good to go up above treeline in full on White Mountain winter weather. It's all the same. Snow is snow. Winter is winter.

It really is all the same. Maybe the wind is whippier. maybe the temps are chillier. Maybe the snow is crunchier, but the only significant variable really is the angle of the ground and your own fitness when it comes to handling it. Are you suggesting that I'm out of shape? A man without an inferiority complex wouldn't go around impugning the physical abilities of a total stranger.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. If you could read or followed these forums at all other than to troll you'd know I've said for the most part all we are doing is walking up hill and anyone in decent physical shape can manage most hikes. We, for the most part, are not superhuman atheletes. Kids, elderly, handicapped. All can do this hobby of ours. If you can show me anywhere in any of my trip reports where I have said I am doing something the rest of the mere mortals can't, at least with a little conditioning, I'll pack my bags and go.

Granite Guy wrote:
Continue on with the scorched earth policy around here for a bit. You'll go away, I'll humor you in the meantime. Mark Twain said don't argue with stupid people, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. So I know I shouldn't, but this is just too easy.

It SEEMS easy because you have an inferiority complex. It feeds your ego to tell me how weak and inexperienced I am. It makes you feel like more of a man to tell me how much more you know about those little particles of frozen water lying on the ground. It makes you feel superior by falsely clinging to the conviction that I've only been out in winter-ish conditions one time in my entire life.

But you're embarassing yourself. Keep humoring me. I think the GraniteGuy Show may be cancelled very soon.

Agreed I'm embarrising myself by stooping down to your level. Everyone knows who the ignorant one in this discussion is. Maybe I'll post a poll and see what people thing of you. In the meantime, it's not the Granite Guy Show. It's the Hike-NH show, your fifteen minutes of fame here are about up.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:39 pm

BrianL wrote:
What test must the OP and I pass before you would bless a 4k hike to anywhere except tecumseh on 1/30/2016?

You just cnnot be this dumb. Oh wait, yes you can!! Fot the 10th time, I didn't recommnd Tecumseh!! Maybe you have bad eyesight and need that speeled out in bigger letter. I DIDN'T RECCOMEND TECUMSEH!! If you cannot read have someone read it to you. I reccomnded Liberty, and linked a trip report of my wifes first winter 4K from last year. :roll: If you want to take Tecumseh to task do it with that condescending better than you Grindboy charachter. Or eat your words and tell me again you were just using hyperbole on the guy, who's a minister, and has never been mean or condescending to anyone here a day in his life. He is however holier than thou I'm guessing! :lol:

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sorry is I came off wrong. Apologies!

Edit -- GG posted this while I was posting on my phone -- now I really DO look all whatever! I guess not much to be done about it now.

Last edited by Grindboy on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
but you might want to get some facts right before you shoot off your mouth. Us grizzled, elite mountaineers know where to look to check such things.

Average temp for the day was 33, wind gusts averaged 35 mph but the link you showed says that wind at times gusted as high as 50mph.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/windchill.shtml

That means the windchill temps averaged something like 12-16 degrees all day. By anyone's standard, that's cold. And it definitely wasn't anywhere near the daily average of 33 when I started out in the morning. How may mid-spring, mid-40's type days do you see salt trucks on the road, or see your car skid on black ice in bright sunshine? With my early start, and the fact that alot of the hike is exposed to winds, it's perfectly reasonable to believe that I spent significant time hiking in single digit and near-zero temps. And as GG quoted me as saying, I didn't even feel cold at any point. SO I think I can handle winter. To suggest that I'm in for some one hell of a wake up call if I decide to climb the Kinsmans on saturday just sounds like the inferiority fueled ramblings of some grizzled has-been.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:50 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next