Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Bonds 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Bonds
My friends and I are planning out a traverse of the Bonds with a car spot either on Zealand Road or at the Lincoln Woods Center in order to hit the 3 bonds and Zealand. Any suggestions for this upcoming hike? What side would you all recommend starting and ending at? Thanks
-Phil

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Bonds
Myself with Granite Guy did this last fall, as well as half of the regular board members also. If you really want to walk the Lincoln woods trail for its entirety then start at Zealand and walk on over to Lincoln woods. If i had to do it all over again, I would have done an out and back from Zealand. You double the above treeline and less time wasted car spotting. This does come with the expense of more elevation gain, as it would be otherwise all downhill from Bondcliff. Either way, its a great hike, just cherry pick the day, no one wants to hike 20 miles in the clouds.

edit: doing the traverse is 19.x miles and 4200 feet of gain

the out and back from Zealand is 19.x miles with 5700 feet of gain

the out and back from Lincoln woods is not recommended cause of boredom. and the infinitely better options available.

There are a bunch of fall Trip reports starting on page 10 (as of right now) in the Trip Reports section of the site.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:38 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If you are going to do the traverse I'd go LW to Zealand to get the Lincoln Woods trail out of the way. It can leave a real bad nine mile long taste in your mouth the other way. It's easier that way, but man what a horrible ending it has.

We went N-S so thegibba could finish his 48 on Bondcliff rather than Zealand because really nobody wants to do that. If you are strong hikers seriously consider an out and back from Zealand using Zeacliff to exit or even out over the Twins. Anything to avoid the nice miles from Bondcliffs summit to the Kanc. It's all downhill from there in more ways than one.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:36 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I've experienced the Lincoln Woods Trail to Owl's Head and I can definitely see that being a disappointing end to a 20 mile hike. In an effort to avoid that disappointment, has anyone ever hiked from Zealand Road over all the Bonds and back over the Twins? I'm worried that on a fall day we might be stretching our time. Either way thanks for the advice, an out and back from Zealand seems much more exciting.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:55 pm

psheehy wrote:
I've experienced the Lincoln Woods Trail to Owl's Head and I can definitely see that being a disappointing end to a 20 mile hike. In an effort to avoid that disappointment, has anyone ever hiked from Zealand Road over all the Bonds and back over the Twins? I'm worried that on a fall day we might be stretching our time. Either way thanks for the advice, an out and back from Zealand seems much more exciting.

The Bondcliff trail leaves almost as much to be desired. Maybe more actually, right up to the little step before treeline. I haven't done the Twins route yet, but I think JustJoe did. I've done the Zealand out and back and exit through the notch. Good hike. And if you have a headlamp you shouldn't have to worry about time. Hand around for the sunset and exit in the dark. If you don't have a headlamp, well, you shouldn't be doing this hike. :wink: :D

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:04 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Sounds great, I guess I'll have to talk with my friends but an out and back from Zealand sounds good. I do have a headlamp so a sunset on Zealand might be a great end to the day. Thanks for all the advice!

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

psheehy wrote:
has anyone ever hiked from Zealand Road over all the Bonds and back over the Twins? I'm worried that on a fall day we might be stretching our time.

I did that route a few years ago with my kids, but we did it as an overnight. Day 1 was Zealand Rd to Guyot campsite, leave our tents, etc, then hike to West Bond, over Bond to Bondcliff, then back over Bond to Guyot campsite for the night. Day 2 was Guyot campsite to South Twin to North Twin, then down the North Twin Trail. We found day 1 to be difficult, but we did have heavy packs for most of it. I remember resting about eight times on the climb from Bondcliff back up to Bond. I think the total for both days was 21 or 22 miles or so. With those summits, that would be too much for me for a day hike, but it may be doable if you start early enough and have more stamina than me. After all, others do the Pemi Loop in a day, and I still can't see how that's possible either.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

First of all, here are the two sets of numbers:

(S) Traverse, Zealand Road to Lincoln Woods 19.5 3,700 11:35
(N) Traverse, Lincoln Woods to Zealand Road 19.5 4,550 12:00

N, you get LW out of the way, but S with full moon means you can do the LW trail w/o a headlamp - makes it less boring, especially nice in winter. N is more elevation.
S, you get less elevation and you get the steepest section and most of the elevation over earlier, and in the uphill direction.

If you will need to pump water, then your best bet is to go south and pump at Black Brook on the Bondcliff Trail. Otherwise, you're stuck until either the Guyot tent site (out of the way) or Zealand Falls where you're almost done.

If you want to include Twins, then I'd suggest you park one car at the end of Haystack Road and go up the abandoned (but easily followed) Firewarden Trail and over Hale, down Lend-A-Hand, and then go out-and back over Guyot, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff.

Sunset on West Bond or Guyot will be better than on Zealand. Guyot to Zealand Falls in the dark will be rougher than Bondcliff to LW.

Tim

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:16 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Have done these peaks many times, in all seasons, as out & backs and traverses. Everyone has their preferences - here are some observations:

- The difference in elevation depending on direction is inconsequential as it's the overall distance that you'll notice.

- If there's a chance of t-storms, do the Bonds first, and be over Guyot by 11am.

- Regardless of the direction, the last 5 miles can be tedious, and one's mental state is most affected by blood sugar level. Take a few minutes before the last push and snack, especially on sugar. I prefer pineapple chunks, but everyone's got their favorites. Can't emphasize this enough.

- Helps to have someone interesting to talk to on the last push, although if coming out in the dark I sometimes prefer the time to myself while each person sets their own pace.

- In winter I always go S->N. That allows for a stop at the hut to check gear, make adjustments, etc. For those complaining about the tedium of the Wilderness Trail, do it in winter out to the parking area on US302. The Wilderness Trail won't seem so onerous.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:50 am

Granite Guy wrote:
I haven't done the Twins route yet, but I think JustJoe did.

Nope. I've done an out and back to WB from the N. Twin trail. And a loop similar to what Tim mentioned but only hitting Hale, N & S Twin, Guyot and litte G, and Zealand. Although adding the Bonds to that would be doable. Just a long day.

psheehy wrote:
Sounds great, I guess I'll have to talk with my friends but an out and back from Zealand sounds good. I do have a headlamp so a sunset on Zealand might be a great end to the day. Thanks for all the advice!

You'll have to pick another peak to watch the sunset from.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]