Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe, Isolation and Jackson 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe, Isolation and Jackson
On August 16th and 17th, 2015 I was successfully able to hike these five 4000 footers in one overnight trip. I started up Mt Pierce at 6 am via the Crawford Path from the Crawford Notch Highland Center. This path is fairly straightforward and offered a steady ascent of the mountain. After reaching the top, I took my pictures, enjoyed the view then continued on North along the Crawford Path towards Mt Eisenhower. Along this ridge, make sure to apply sun lotion! I learned the hard way. The Crawford Path runs into an intersection with the Eisenhower Loop which is .7 miles and crosses over the peak of Eisenhower and meets back up with the Crawford Path on the other side. Continuing North on the Crawford Path, I unknowingly passed over Mt. Franklin towards Mt. Monroe. The view of Washington and the Lake of the Clouds Hut from here is spectacular. I hiked down to the LOC Hut and refilled my water while taking a quick rest. From The LOC Hut I hike along the Camel Path which connects to Davis Path after a .7 mile cutoff. The sign was fairly weathered so make sure to be vigilant. Now hiking East towards Boot Spur, this area is also above treeline. Once hitting the Davis Path I began hiking South towards Mt. Isolation. This path is much thinner than the Crawford Path but is secluded and a very nice hike. I followed this path for 3.9 miles until reaching the summit of Mt. Isolation. A majority of that 3.9 miles is downhill but when you near Isolation it will begin to ascend. I ate lunch (reached the peak at Noon) and thoroughly enjoyed this uncommonly seen view of the Southern Presidentials. After half an hour, I began my descent towards the Dry River where I would be camping for the night. I hiked North on Davis Path for 1.2 miles until I reached the Isolation Trail West intersection. This trail is unmaintained however IT IS marked with a sign and fairly straightforward to follow (only one portion near the brook gave me some trouble in following the trail.) For 2.4 miles I followed this path to the Dry River where there are multiple campsites (marked with signs) that seem to be created to thwart illegal camping right along the East side of the Dry River. These were not marked on any map I saw but another backpacking post wrote about them. There were also campsites, similar to the ones on the east located on the West side. The river was easy to cross by hopping rocks when I went. After spending the night at the river (and seeing a moose) I hiked out the next morning towards the Mizpah Spring Hut via the Dry River Cutoff Trail. A steady ascent of 2.5 miles got me to the hut where I filled my water and hiked up to Mt Jackson. The views were incredible from this peak and after spending some time here I hiked down towards the Highland Center via the Jackson Brook Trail then the Webster-Jackson Trail. Overall I hiked approximately 16 miles my first day and 9 on my second. It turned out to be a wonderful hike and offered seclusion and a chance to see an area that not too many venture out into.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe, Isolation and Jackson
WOW! Great first post and sounds like a great trip. Good for you. Nicely done.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That's a great idea for a loop! I'd like to see those less used trails and that area in general. Welcome to the forum.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That is certainly a unique loop you made. It wouldn't have been on my radar to do it that way but I'll give a thumbs up to it! The dry river wilderness must have felt pretty darned remote.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:49 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

It was definitely remote and a very interesting place to hike. I don't believe I saw anybody between Davis Path and the Mizpah Spring Hut (Unless you count the moose!) I would recommend it to any moderate to quick hiker. If you don't believe you could make it all the way to Mt. Isolation after doing those southern presidentials there were 1 or 2 camp sites along the East side of the Davis Path heading South towards Mt. isolation that could be used for an overnight stay. The Following pictures are of my campsite near the river, a view from Mt. Isolation towards Mt. Washington and the Dry river itself when I crossed it.

Attachments:
Dry River.jpg
Dry River.jpg [ 170.09 KiB | Viewed 896 times ]
Dry River Camp Site.jpg
Dry River Camp Site.jpg [ 184.42 KiB | Viewed 896 times ]
Mt Isolation View.jpg
Mt Isolation View.jpg [ 92.91 KiB | Viewed 896 times ]
Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]