Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wildcats & Carters 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Wildcats & Carters
Granite Guy wrote:
As for the trails themselves, yes Wildcat Ridge from E peak to 16 would be highly un-reccomended in rain. Lots of steep rocks and ledges, as well as a river crossing at the very end, and if we get 3-4 inches tomorrow and more this weekend you should bring a barrel for when it sweeps you over Glen Ellis Falls! :D

While the concern asked about was the Carter Notch side of the Wildcats, this point is important too. The ascent would be doable, but very tedious in steady rain. I'd avoid it in such weather unless I was an AT thru-hiker and had no choice (I am also very much a "fair weather hiker"). The crossing of Glen Ellis River can be avoided by taking the Lost Pond Trail (and is the route the AT takes partially for that exact reason).

Foliage is late everywhere this year. With the warm weather up until about a week ago, the trees didn't get the memo until recently that winter is coming. My best guess right now is Columbus Day Weekend for peak color, but that highly depends on the weather between now and then, it could easily be the following weekend even. Last year it was about a week from today that it peaked.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you for the input. This might be better left for another weekend. I'm not afraid of hiking in the rain. In fact, I'd like to do more of it to sharpen my rain hiking/camping skills.

Now I just need to find an alternative for this weekend...

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome to the forum. The guys who posted so far are very experienced and full of good advice.

I think the rain sometimes brings out the beauty of the colors. I would also check New England Trail conditions for trail reports; people often mention the colors of where they go. One funny thing, some folks are seeing the color on their ride to the trail, but not on the trail itself. Have fun and don't go hypothermic!

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:40 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yes, welcome to the forums. Let us know what you find for foliage where ever you end up. It has really started popping in just the past day or two near me in SE NH so maybe there's hope yet.

The foliage reports Ive seen so far indicate the best stuff is in the Adirondack High Peaks and Middle/North of the western and higher Green Mountains of Vermont. If you really don't mind camping in the rain you could do worse than those places. Battel shelter and tent sites on Mt. Abraham would probably be pretty nice via the Long Trail. Marcy Dam in the Daks has tent sites and half a dozen leantos around it if all else fails. No major water crossings on either to speak of, or at least none that aren't bridged.

And FWIW the Catskills and western Mass look relatively dry this weekend but pretty much foliage free at the moment.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome to the forum! I gotta give you props for wanting to hike in the rain. I personally despise hiking in the rain- I'd rather hike in a blizzard :evil: . I will admit, though, that whatever forest you're in does smell nice and rich after a good downpour 8)

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

We've decided to do the Carter Moriah hike, since the rain appears to be holding off. I am looking for feedback regarding our exit route, either via Carter-Moriah Trail or Rattle River Trail. I've seen one blog that says Carter-Moriah trail can be dangerous when wet, but I wanted to get some opinions from here if this is true and worth the extra mileage to exit via Rattle River. Also, does anyone know about possible stream crossings on either that could be impediments?

Love this forum, glad to have joined

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:00 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Have only hiked the CM Trail, but it's beautiful and full of ledgey goodness and views as you descend. Hard to believe Rattle River could be any better unless you add on Shelburne-Moriah, then I'd probably opt for that route. Pretty special looking mountain that one.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Streams have already dropped down to moderate to low levels. They were just SO low before that they seem comparatively high now. You should be fine on either route, though I would still suggest taking the Lost Pond Trail to the Wildcat Ridge Trail if you are headed up that way, especially with full packs. And yea, the weekend looks chilly, but otherwise pretty nice now! Yeay!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2