Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Jewell Bridge 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Jewell Bridge
Any idea if there are plans to have a new bridge ready for the summer?

Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Jewell Bridge
I don't know, but welcome to the forum!

Mon May 18, 2015 5:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

you can just park at the ammonusic ravine trailhead on base station road and cross the street to the actual jewel trailhead and skip the bridge. yeah its another 2 miles round trip. In the grand scheme of things. another 2 miles on a day in the presis shouldnt matter.

Mon May 18, 2015 6:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pretty soon they'll be asking the hikers to park in the hiker lot anyway. I've heard it's been opened, and the cog has been running, so this is only a matter of time. I'm not sure if the gentleman that goes around collecting money from hikers in the cog lot will be doing that again this year, or if there will be a firm blanket policy in place.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

madmattd wrote:
Pretty soon they'll be asking the hikers to park in the hiker lot anyway. I've heard it's been opened, and the cog has been running, so this is only a matter of time. I'm not sure if the gentleman that goes around collecting money from hikers in the cog lot will be doing that again this year, or if there will be a firm blanket policy in place.

The USFS lot was open last weekend (5/9,10). I did trail work on Ammo Ravine primarily on the lower mile from the USFS lot to the base station spur trail people take when parking up high. 7 blowdowns were removed and I left two, one on the main trail, a step over about 2 feet high that I cleared of all branches and smoothed out and a duck-under on the spur trail that is really not an issue. If you're over 6' watch your forehead. I will get them on a slow day. FYI, the water crossings were very high all the way up and may be for a bit as there was plenty of snow left to melt above 3,000 feet.

The cog was making all sorts of racket last weekend and had cars with passengers. Whether they went to the top, I don't know. Only state park trucks and a few hikers on the summit of Washington last week and some rather surprised 20-ish year olds without snowshoes asking about potential rides down from the summit.

Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 am
Sovereign Woodsman

WOW! Thanks for your service!

Tue May 19, 2015 9:28 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

madmattd wrote:

I parked in the lower cog lot last year. Used to cost $5 but I've always parked there. I've hiked from that side countless times and never parked in the hiker lot. Anyhoo, the one time last year I parked in that lower cog lot, the old gent was not there. It didn't cost anything. Can not say why that was the case. This was in August.

Discussed here as well.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.p ... well-Trail

Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]