Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington - Trip Report 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington - Trip Report
The best hike of my vacation was one for the books. An attempt at a traverse ends early, but not before I get my 100th 4k of the year! Lucy and my good friend join me on this legendary hike. Read about the hike here http://wp.me/p3XzRU-pL

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576
http://www.viewsoftheshire.com

Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington - Trip Report
:beer: :beer: :beer: And a dog treat for Miss Lucy!

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

"Legendary" & "Hike of a lifetime?" Interesting terms you choose for hiking in the White Mountains. I'm wondering what you would offer for adjectives if you were hiking out west in the Sierra's or Rockies! What exactly makes it legendary or the hike of a lifetime for you? Or is that a creative way to get one to read the blog :?

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I found that with the conditions and the history of the Presidential range it is very fitting to call this hike legendary and with the weather and cloud cover at the time of day, well I have not seen that yet so in a personal way so i guess I get to make that call. I hiked out in Colorado this summer and did 4 14ers. You can read that writeup on my blog as well if you like. They are two completely different types of landscapes each with their own virtues and each I would say are legendary. To each their own.

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:02 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yes to each their own. It's your blog and report and you can call it whatever you want I guess. I do hope a late fall hike on the Bonds isn't the pinnacle of your hiking life but if it is so be it. I'll also add any hike I can/have done isn't likey to go down in history, which as I understand it is the definition of legendary. I get it, it s a blog and you need to play it up, but I'm definitely curious what adjectives you'll have left by the 576th trip report.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fair enough. I agree that I have a tendency to over use certain phrases. The blog writing process is something I am trying to grow with over time. I appreciate the criticism and will use it constructively in my future writing. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog at all. Sorry I got a little defensive about it...

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

the definition of legendary FWIW: "remarkable to be famous or fabled storied or heroic" on a quick google search, it just seemed a bit extravagant of a word to use for something people are conquering on a grid like daily basis these days...... I so long to understand people's choice for doing the grid list. Best of luck enduring that long list... over and over and over again. phew!

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I agree it is a misused word. I will put a bit more thought into my next write up. Once again. I appreciate you folks for pointing that out to me. Guess I got a little carried away.

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:03 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Both of you are senior members and I respect your opinions. This was the first forum I found when I started hiking and I respect the folks who make it possible. If either of you think that my postings are out of place then please let me know and I will attempt to fix that in the future. I don't want to spoil the forum. I only wish to contribute.

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

+1 for that, it wasn't meant to be a jab, just feedback, I know I've had my fair share over the years from people. Given the plethora of blogs that are out there, I get that you're attempting to get people's attention in order to read it, it just stood out when I read those 2 headlines and didn't see anything that struck me as "legendary' was merely asking an honest question of what you meant by that.

Maybe also consider contributing more to other people's trip reports on the forum, that frequently will get more people to respond/read your blog. Sometimes it feels as if when people post their blog but contribute nothing to a forum, that they are just out for themselves. I think of this forum as a community, where people reciprocate back and forth to threads. It is a great way to get feedback, learn from them and it will help as you grow as a hiker in the mountains, as well as possibly meeting new people. There is a lot of knowledge here and with VFTT, but if your not sharing in your contribution, it is hard to earn respect... A good example of a Legend may be Steve Smith, since he owns the Mountain Wanderer and is FOREVER PATIENT at answering people's questions when they come into the store but may not buy something (I've witnessed that). He is a wealth of information and I really believe he gained that through his contributions to the hiking community, as well as of course his vast knowledge on hiking, given that he has hiked every single hike in the white mountains.. Food for thought.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:44 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

This is a hike New Hampshire forum and you're definitely hiking in New Hampshire so I wouldn't say your posts are out of place by any means. We all wander around these hills in our own ways and nobody's way is is better than the other. I don't get the grid thing myself so have little to offer up the third or fourth or whatever time I read of someone hiking the same thing because I usually said it the first time around, but I know there's other people on here who get it and are checking things off as they go for it whether they want to fess up or not.

I will say however that if you want to contribute to the place, that's great. Do it more! Nobody comments on everything but if you occasionally have a thought on any else's posts throw it out there, be it positive or constructive criticism or just an observation. That's what keeps life in the place. It is a great forum but it's dying off. Too many people just post their own stuff or no offense but a link to a blog and don't comment on others stuff or even respond to others comments on their stuff, so many people, I think, start to feel like why bother posting?? People have said as much as its not worth the time and effort to do a trip report and get no feedback whatsoever so commenting on others stuff will probably liven the place up but might also encourage more feedback on your own posts if you'd like it. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know but I'll throw it out there anyhow.

As for the senior members, well, we've just been around longer and posted more. Doesn't make anything we say any more important than someone who just signed up. But we've been around long enough to watch the steady down slide of the forums and I think lack of people contributing, and more so commenting, along with other outlets like Facebook is the reason it's often a ghost town around here. So we're not trying to run you out of town, on the contrary, any time you have insight or thoughts to post please do, whatever it may be. That's the only way this place will ever get any better if you ask me.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:19 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I agree completely. A lot of my original reasons for not responding was lack of experience and personal intimidation. That is not really as much of an issue now. Before I felt I was better off just giving my own stories till I gained some experience. I will do my best to help with the expansion of this great forum. I appreciate you both for talking this one out with me. I enjoy reading everyone s stories daily and will be more supportive fr here on out. Keep doing what you do. :)

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:29 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you for your trip reports. It would be an adventure for me! I hope to get up there on those summits under those conditions in the future. For the time being, blogs and pictures such as you post are very interesting, and keep the hope alive that I will make it. I get up to Craig Camp every winter, but, that is quite taxing in it self. You are entitled to express your self, I commend you.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:55 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I appreciate it! Thank you for reading. I am also interested in going to crag camp or gray know on of these days. Next time I go up that way I plan on going up King revine. Always looks like an amazing hike.

NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:21 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

dasein wrote:
I appreciate it! Thank you for reading. I am also interested in going to crag camp or gray know on of these days. Next time I go up that way I plan on going up King revine. Always looks like an amazing hike.

It's a great summer/fall hike. Not suited for winter hiking, however, as it turns into a technical climb. Doable, but requires a different skill set.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next