Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Webster Cliff Trail question 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Webster Cliff Trail question
I've never been up this trail but am taking someone hiking and they want an easier 4000 footer with some nice summit views for their first wintery hike. I'm thinking either webster Jackson or liberty with an option for flume. I don't want to bore them to death on Pierce or a wooded hump and they've hiked Mossilauke with me before. For myself i would prefer not to do the same old blah lollipop I've done before but will if I have to. So has anyone ever hike this trail from the south in winter? If not but you've hiked it in summer is there any particular reason to avoid it in snow and ice, other than the icy cliffs and all?? :D can you get by them safely enough if you chose to stay back a bit of is it right along the edge? I can't find a single winter trip report of this trail online so I'm thinking maybe it's not a great option and don't want to find out the hard way.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:29 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Webster Cliff Trail question
Never hiked this in winter but hiked it in summer once. I wouldn't want to hike it unless I knew there was a good deal of snow - not ice - because there are several scrambles that wouldn't be fun if icy. If I remember correctly, these are down low though....can't really recall any "death drops" but this was several years ago. I know that's not what you were looking for but since nobody else answered that has hiked this in winter, I figured I'd at least put my two cents in.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

What Bob said. I've only done it in summer as well, but there are some open ledges and scrambles that might be tricky without enough snow cover.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:33 pm

What they said! :D

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:24 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Ditto what the others have said. While there must be somebody who's done it in winter, I personally don't know anyone who has. It's a really tough way to do a 4K (Jackson).

I don't have much use for Liberty - nice views on top, but the mile or so below the tent platform takes a toll, particularly on the descent. I'd vote for Flume via Osseo - nice, long approach for warm-up, and even some minor pucker factor at the end to get the juices flowing.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for the responses. Those look like they could be a legit ice climbs in winter if they flow like every other ledge in that notch seems to. Would have been a tough one in today's conditions I think. Crappy weather forced us to plan C, which ended up only being Mt. Tom because the views from Avalon looked like they were not to be had either.

I don't have much use for many of the 4K's myself, especially on the common routes, but friends need them so occasionally I find myself back on them...but this would have gotten me the bonus of a trail I've wanted to hike for years. Looks best left for summer if you ask me.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

It's a fantastic route in dry conditions! :)

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]