Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Jefferson , Adams , Madison 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Jefferson , Adams , Madison
My buddies and I are going to hike Jefferson, Adams , Madison this weekend via caps ridge, out and back, day trip. Has anyone had any experience with this route? I understand that caps ridge trail is steep but how is the ridge going across? My calculations show just under 12 mile rt.
Thanks!

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:42 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I don't have the WMG in front of me, but that sounds shorter than I'd expect. And, once you've summited Jeff, you've got about 1K vert to summit Adams, followed by a descent and then a 500 foot vert to summit Madison. All three are great peaks, and the trail connecting them is spectacular, but that getting all three in an out-and-back is pretty ambitious. Not impossible--just ambitious!

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I agree with neexpatriate. Most ambitious, especially since you're not familiar with the terrain. The Northern Presis have some of the rockiest footing in the NE, and it slows you down. Once you get to Adams, you might decide to head back to Jeff and save Madison for another day. Either that, or spot a vehicle at Appalachia, and drop down Valley Way after Madison. Tis a long way back via Gulfside.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:54 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Depending on what shape your in and experience level its doable for sure. Doesn't strike me as any harder a hike than Washingotn round trip from the east which plenty of people pull off in a day. Off the top of my head I'd guess its 12 miles and 4500-5000 feet of elevation if you bypass the summits on the return. I like the car spot idea myself if possible. As mentioned there's a lot of rocky terrain.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:28 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I did those three out and back Valley Way in winter so it's certainly doable. The numbers aren't over the top. This is the AMC numbers, bypassing Adams and Jefferson on the return to Caps Ridge. Just watch the Higher Summits Forecast.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ ... recast.php

Totals
Distance 12.41 mi
Time 9 hr 4 min
Elev Gain +5643 ft
Elev Loss -5643 ft
Elev Change 0 ft

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:56 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Great advice, thanks for all your replies.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I would agree with the idea to spot a car at Appalacia if you are looking for the easiest way to do all 3 peaks.

If you don't have a 2nd car, you could do what we did when we did our N Pressi hike this summer...we left my car at Appalacia and took the Trail Angels shuttle service to Caps Ridge trail. It was $60, but a better option for the 2 of us on that trip.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:47 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Update: Unfortunately we were unable to spot a car, so we were only able to summit Jefferson & Adams. We started early enough and monitored the weather but I knew about a third of the way up that our pace wouldn't allow for all 3 summits. Coming back from Adams we decided to take the cornice to go around. We were divided as to whether this was easier than going back over Jefferson. The cornice was a bear! I'd elect to re-summit next time.
All in all a great day of hiking. Thanks for all your replies, glad i found this website.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]