Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 FOT48 2014 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Granite Guy wrote:

As for the tailgate, I don't know if it was ever decided, so I'll throw out Loon as the spot with Lin-Woods as the back-up just in case Lafayette place parking is overflowing with hikers. If anyone objects speak now, or go grill by yourself at Lafayette Place.

I drove to both places ans saw no one. :evil: Even stopped at Woodstock Station. No one. :evil: :evil: :wink:

In actuality, when we hit the parking lot it was coming down hard. I pretty much knew at that point the tail-gate would be called. So just had a couple quick beers with my teem mates and headed home. I did have to stop at the Inn to retrieve something we left in the room Labor day weekend. Took a quick look and saw no familiar faces. I did check in here around 5 and saw nothing. Totally forgot the about the tunnel idea. But I have fairly poor night vision so I was happy to get 3/4's of the nasty drive home in day light. Dark + rain makes for a miserable drive.

Let's not for the Red Rock Pond backpack idea. :wink:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Sorry to be brief on my last post but I was bumming the WiFi off of dunks in Lincoln before they closed. It sure was a great time! The hike had a little bit of everything. A bit of sun with great views of the notch. A whole lot of wind that tested the riggings. Ridge walks. Lost hikers on the ridge. Some rain with some sleet thrown in for good measure. Great people to hike with! And of course watching the colors fly with a bugle to boot! I could have used more layers, and more conditioning with a heavy load. its still nothing compared to the what the people this is all about went through 13 years ago. They had no choice.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 am

It was great to get together again for this, add Mike to the crew and meet Greg. Yes a little bit of everything even though the summit was socked in 99.9% of the time we were on it, but this one isn't about the views and the day was a success in my book. Looking forward to next year already and maybe one of these times we'll actually have a nice fall day for this!

Bummer that we missed you Joe but I don't think we had our act together until about 5:30 so you probably were a tad early. Surely the smoke and smell of grilled meat litterally pouring from the underpass would have tipped you off! Then again it never alerted the authorities! :D

OK, no backpack, but we did throw out the idea of a Hike-NH get together hike more than just this one time a year.

I'll try and get a report up while I wait for it to warm up this morning if nobody beats me to it.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:36 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Glad to hear it went well. Sorry I didn't make it but my motivation to baby my shattered digit up the mountain deteriorated with the weather forecast. Next year then.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 am

Granite Guy wrote:

Bummer that we missed you Joe but I don't think we had our act together until about 5:30 so you probably were a tad early. Surely the smoke and smell of grilled meat litterally pouring from the underpass would have tipped you off! Then again it never alerted the authorities! :D

I passed by there a little before 5 so probably before the 5 alarm. The worst part of this is I have 4 pounds of ribs to eat. :D

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 am

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

I passed by there a little before 5 so probably before the 5 alarm. The worst part of this is I have 4 pounds of ribs to eat. :D

If that's the worst part I'd say you're doing all right! You don't live too far from many of us, hmmm, post even rib-fest at Joe's place!! :D

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:02 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I had a great time with a bunch of great guys. Now, next year, a couple of you older guys on this forum better go because I was 20 to 30 years older than them. I did a fine job holding up the rear and making sure none of them got left behind.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mike z wrote:
I did a fine job holding up the rear and making sure none of them got left behind.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:31 pm

All the "older" folks are definitely welcome. The more the merrier and then maybe I won't feel as old! :D I think I'm the second oldest in the group at 37. That makes me almost twice as old as hiker0200. :(

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm only 2 years behind you. Do I get 3rd place?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'll be 34 in 4 days so I'm not far behind. I only feel old when some 60+ year old bombs past me on the trail.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 am
Sovereign Woodsman

So, wait... I'm an elder at almost 48 (in two weeks)?

:(

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Yup, I'm at the younger end of the group at 33. Don't let Mike fool any of you, though, he's no slow poke.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 am

Dingo wrote:
So, wait... I'm an elder at almost 48 (in two weeks)?

:(

Well they may as well just shoot me! :(

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

krpayer wrote:
Don't let Mike fool any of you, though, he's no slow poke.

Absolutely true!

It was a great time for a great cause. A more subdued tailgate this year, but that was due to lower attendance and the cold/rain, but the food was all just as good! Great to see everyone and to get to participate in this event once again. I'm marking off the date for next year!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next