Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 FOT48 2014 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

FOT48 2014
I know it's a ways away still (Sept 13th) but I think sign ups start in a few weeks. Not sure because I cannot find that info on that site for some reason. Anyhow, is there interest in getting a group from here together again? I know some of last years people don't frequent the forums much anymore, others may have new groups or whatever, so I'm not putting anything together or trying to take charge of the Hike-NH group, just seeing what the interest level is. I'm sure that will all work itself out. Seems like there's enough people who will do it, just wanted to get the ball rolling before sign-ups. It was lots of fun and I'd certainly be going again if there's a group that'll have me! :D

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm down. Depending on the date and if I can get off work. The interest is there.

Edit: yeah I should be able to get off work. No problem. I hope we get Matt and krpayer to come. They have a beast of a flagpole!

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I actually just asked about the signup date on the FOT48 Facebook site a little while ago since it is typically in early August. I was going to start this thread once I found out, but you beat me to it, thanks! A month or so ago they said it might be on August 4th at 6PM, but there never was word for sure. I'll post when I hear back from Jim or one of the guys (unless they just post here).

Either way, I am definitely interested again, and I will dust off the flagpole. I will clean up a few of the holes and hardware to make it easier to set up too. If Kris can't come, I've got a ~3'x5' flag I've flown on it a few times (yes, I've used the pole elsewhere! - granted not all 28 feet of it.) But his 5'x8' is much better on it.

GraniteGuy, you did a good job keeping it all organized last year. Go for it! (like last year, I can't do the signup this year anyway assuming it is on the 4th).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Ok I am confused. I just joined this site this year. FOT??? I don't want to miss something that may be fun
MZ

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Last years group...

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6732

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Count me in!!! I loved it last year, and I would totally be down to go again! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the time off from work.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I am planning to do it, if we do another Hike-NH group then I'm in. I've had a great time the last few years. And if I couldn't make it for some reason I will lend my flag to the group.

Any way we can try to get one of the peaks I need for my list? Deception? Hitchcock? Maybe Shoal Pond Peak? :twisted:

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If we get the day off, we are interested. And same deal as last year if it's o.k. with you - Short n Slow will start early so as not to hold you back :lol:!

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:47 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Ok I want in. Sounds like a good time and a good opportunity to connect the faces with the forum. Where and when? I like the idea of the tailgate at the end.
MZ

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:26 am

OK. So it seems there's plenty of interest. Figured there would be but wanted to be sure before grabbing a peak.

Its Saturday September 13th this year. I would imagine well meet around 7 somewhere depending on which peak we get, as the group kept a good pace and should be able to set up by noon on most summits. Unless of course anyone wants West Bond, that I know a couple people need for their list! :twisted:

I don't really care if I play secretery like last year or not. Depending on when sign ups are I can also get a peak as long as I'm near a computer then if nobody else wants to but anyone else is welcome to organize any and all of this too.

And for the peak, ill try and grab one the people who haven't done the NH48 still need as long as there's a good option. I think I can dig up that info on the site but if you want to chime in with requests feel free to do so.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:49 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Last year's sign up was closer to August 12th, which is why I have had the gears churning b/c I will be out west at that time, most likely away from internet service - if all goes well. 8)

I got my own peak last year then popped over to LW to say hey to you guys. I may do the same this year if I can wrangle it - got a group from work together last year but ended up with just me and one other.

Not that any of this matters, but figured I'd chime in since the thread was started. If I cannot get my own, I would love to join in. No preference for peaks, few I'd rather avoid. :roll:

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

If's there room, I would like in. Good time last year.

thx
Petch

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm

There's room for anyone and everyone interested. If there's more than 10 for the LNT principles we can split into two groups but will not count Beckie and Prema since they may not be with the group much of the way.

So, in the order people have comitted...

1. Granite Guy
2. thegibba
3. madmattd
4. hiker0200
5. krpayer
6. Mike z
7. Petch

+Beckie and Prema

Also for all those who run there own groups we had a fun tailgate afterwards last year and got to meet a few more faces that way. If there's interest we can coordinate a big tailgate after for everyone at some central location once we all get our peaks. If not, anyone is welcome to stop by wherever we are and say hello and have a bite to eat. There was WAY TOO MUCH food last year for just us! :D

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

I've been slacking. Life has thrown a couple curveballs my way but I think I am past them now.

Signups indeed will be on Monday August 4th at 6:00 pm. I do believe the signup process will be similar to last years. Changes were in the works but I do not know if they will happen in time.

I do thank everyone for helping out with this effort. If successful, this will be 10 straight years that flags have flown at all 48 high peaks. This is no small task through all the crazy weather that the mountains can throw at you.

Should anyone have any questions about anything with the event, just pm me or post them here and I'll help you in any way I can.

Thanks again
Silentcal

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next