Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Which 4000 footer should be next? 
 Which 4000 footer should be next?
Hello there.

My hiking friends and I are looking to bag another peak this season. We hiked Mt. Tecumseh and Mt. Osceola last year and Mount Monadnock this year. What 4000 footer would anyone suggest for us next? Looking for a day trip with moderate terrain. Owl's Head, Cannon??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :wink:

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:47 am

Obviously you aren't going in alphabetical order so that suggestion is out :)

I like to break the peaks down to "sections" of the Whites...There's the Presidentials....Franconia....Southern (this is where Tecumseh resides), Carter Ridge....etc.

Some, of course, are easier than others....and then there is the weather to consider.

Based on the ones you've done so far, why not try something like Jackson/Webster, Pierce, or Eisenhower (Southern Prezzies). Each can be reached in about 3 hours and all are fairly moderate with great views on nice days

Owl's Head is usually last on most people's list....it's a long day hike....but so too are the Bonds. These I'd prefer to do using overnight trips. Actually most of them I prefer as overnighters.....I like to take my time and enjoy the day as opposed to try to set land-speed records. Plus I usually overpack for day hikes....standard first aid kit, full set of extra clothes, full set of rain gear, extra fleece, extra food and water, headlamp....etc, so I'm weighted down. All I do is add a tent and a bag, and it's now an overnight trip!

I haven't been to the Cannon Ridge (opposite Franconia) where the Kinsmans are, but check on some of the trip rpeorts to see if they're moderate and hikable in a day (I think so on both counts)

I hope this helps,
Bill (pucknuts61)

Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:42 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I've always been partial to Whiteface. Great hike, great views, space at the summit (although it's wooded). Check out the trip report <a href="http://www.hike-nh.com/trips/whiteface">here</a>.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I guess you could say we are doing them in order of elevation gain somewhat. We are trying to add a couple hundred feet of elevation gain every hike.

The problem is we are not able to get many hikes in consecutively each season due to other involvements and being in RI. We try not to bite off more than we can chew when we actually make it out to hike. Thanks for the suggestions, I will be looking them up in my hiking books this weekend. Happy trails!

JUST DO IT!

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]